Born to fight: Possibly true!

Discovery Channel is showing a documentary tomorrow at 9pm about the supposed "Warrior Gene". Recently a German Scientist posted some research on a gene called the MAOA gene nicknamed the "Warrior Gene". Basically, people born with this gene are pre-disposed to aggression and anger. The researcher tested 15 pro fighters and they all had the warrior gene. Here's an article that I found on it but I cant find anything about the Discovery Channel show.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/tag/warrior-gene/

They also said that most pro athletes woudl have it as its linked to competition. Also, several noted business leaders are expected to have it as well including Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, which would account for their ruthless style of business and success in their fields.

What say you UG?

I can see that all those people in all those positions are definately wired different than other people but Im not sure if I buy the fact that it comes from that one gene.

I think the jury is still out. I guess the first round of testing was done on some members of the Maori tribe and all the dudes had it hence the name 'Warrior Gene". I think it basically just sets people up for being aggressive and prone to longer bouts of anger as well as getting angry easily. You dont have to fight, you can just be one of those uber aggressive dudes that talk a lot of shit while playing COD online, throwing controllers when they get sniped by campers.

naderhood -  I think the jury is still out. I guess the first round of testing was done on some members of the Maori tribe and all the dudes had it hence the name 'Warrior Gene". I think it basically just sets people up for being aggressive and prone to longer bouts of anger as well as getting angry easily. You dont have to fight, you can just be one of those uber aggressive dudes that talk a lot of shit while playing COD online, throwing controllers when they get sniped by campers.

sounds like someone has some first hand experience with this.

Genetic predispositions relating to your success in fighting = lol.

Society, culture and your environment throughout your formative years of life all play a much larger factor in your desires to compete than ANY so-called 'Warrior Gene'.

Like all things there is bound to be SOME nature along with nurture, but being competitive? Almost entirely nurture.

Not all men are born equal.

jvwand - 
naderhood -  I think the jury is still out. I guess the first round of testing was done on some members of the Maori tribe and all the dudes had it hence the name 'Warrior Gene". I think it basically just sets people up for being aggressive and prone to longer bouts of anger as well as getting angry easily. You dont have to fight, you can just be one of those uber aggressive dudes that talk a lot of shit while playing COD online, throwing controllers when they get sniped by campers.

sounds like someone has some first hand experience with this.
I've "dropped" many controllers on my brick fireplace wall as a result of campers........

fuck camouflaged camping ass campers

Chris Power - Genetic predispositions relating to your success in fighting = lol.

Society, culture and your environment throughout your formative years of life all play a much larger factor in your desires to compete than ANY so-called 'Warrior Gene'.

Like all things there is bound to be SOME nature along with nurture, but being competitive? Almost entirely nurture.

I dont think anybody has said your success as a fighter depends on having this gene. I think what it is saying is that basically, people born with aggressive tendencies usually have some anger issues, whether they can control it or not, and its the aggressive types that usually compete in a myriad of things, sports, business, or whatever.

I've got that sheeeiit.

I can live with traditional camping, but those guys who spend all of their time finding weird places on the map that you didn't know you could get to, just to then camp from there... those guys are dicks. And I dedicate my time to ruining their day, even if I end up with a terrible kill/death spread just to do it.

Chris Power - Genetic predispositions relating to your success in fighting = lol.

Nature and evolution are based on competition. Human society has evolved culturally to the point where the weaker can survive and procreate. Its not surprising that a Warrior Gene exists and that most fighters have it.

GenericAmerican - I can live with traditional camping, but those guys who spend all of their time finding weird places on the map that you didn't know you could get to, just to then camp from there... those guys are dicks. And I dedicate my time to ruining their day, even if I end up with a terrible kill/death spread just to do it.

I used to super bounce on Halo 2. I can't lie.

Nowadays one does not need to be excessively aggressive to survive.

In pre-civilized times and into early civilization, your very survival depended on the degree of your aggression and hardnesss.

You had to defend yourself from neighbours, you had to hunt for your food, you had to compete for resources and in some cases your survival depended on conquering and killing other tribes/peoples.

I think there's a problem if there is a "warrior gene" that links Genghis Khan with Bill Gates. I don't guess that Bill Gates would have lasted long on the plains of Mongolia regardless of his competitive spirit.

The likes of Gates are able to sublimate their aggressiveness.

GMan99 - I think there's a problem if there is a "warrior gene" that links Genghis Khan with Bill Gates. I don't guess that Bill Gates would have lasted long on the plains of Mongolia regardless of his competitive spirit.

You never know, Gates could have the wiring of a warrior type, but not the body. I think in the times of primitive man, you had to have the wiring AND the body to survive. Gates would've been the caveman who was like the little nerd that ran the clan.

Stop hijacking our Call of Duty: Black Ops thread with you "warrior gene" discussion.

Lately I've been playing a lot of capture the flag. I find there is a lot more strategy involved.

The 'warrior gene' is also linked to things like homicidal psychopathy and child abuse so it's not exactly a recipe for success.

I hope its also linked to COD success with the run and gun method

According to my DVR, the show is on the National Geographic channel at 7:00 pm Tues. I live on the West coast, not sure if that matters.