Boss spoke to me about my shoes and hair

I work in a company of about 200 people. No dress code.

I'm one of the top performers in my company, this past quarter I received the highest bonus possible. So I'm feelin pretty good about myself.

Today my boss asks to speak with me. He says that the CEO walked through recently and made a comment to him about my appearance.

Apparently he said something like "I don't want my employees looking like they walked out of a rap video"

Now, I love hip hop but I don't dress like I'm in a rap video. I wear fitted dress shirt or polo everyday, with fitted jeans/khakis, and I usually match my gear with my kicks. I love all classic Jordans, barkleys, air force.

I keep my hair short and with a tight fade, lined up all around. Sometimes when I'm feelin nice, I get my barber (DOMINICANS ONLY) to shave in a one-two line in my head here and there.

I wear jewelry but nothing too big. Just a small chain, earrings, rings, bracelet. I have tattoos but none that are visible except for an elbow and wrist tattoo.

So when my boss brought me in and told me what he said, I kind of got upset, no lie. I feel like he just said "rap video" because I'm not white. He told me just to wear simple sneakers instead (Wtf) and to not shave any lines into my head.

That's fucking bullshit. If there is no dress code rules in the contract or orientation manual. Everyone wears what they want, how the fuck is lines in my head going to make a difference? After working for over 2 years in this place, no one ever mentioned anything about my clothes.

I see white guys wearing grimey shoes, cargo shorts and old baseball caps. Developers who probably never washed their hair ever. This one white guy has a full sleeve tattoo and some facial piercings!

Am I right to take offense to this? Some of my coworkers say I should contact a lawyer and get paid... I'm actually thinking instead to just talk to him man to man and deal with it like that.

What say you OG?

Frat: CEO wants me to dress differently, despite there being no official dress code, and used derogatory language to describe me. What do?

How OP thinks he looks: 

How OP actually looks:

No dress code? Bullshit i say!

that was lame of the ceo to make that comment. your boss should have never came to you with that. he should have told the guy, 'he's a damn good worker, don't want to do anything to dampen morale, let the guy be and let him produce'

being a good manager isn't always about 'managing' the employees, you also have to manage higher ups who might get a hair up their ass about something and don't 'get it'

That's a pretty fucked up thing to say if you're as you describe yourself.  Curious, what is it you do?

Dress code upgraded to Fly

OP says he doesn't look like he's in a rap video, then details how he dresses like he's in a rap video...

What's wrong with cargo shorts man?

You dress like you haven't moved on from the 90's

Not saying the boss is right but tell me if I got this right..
You wear really tight pants, tight shirt, high top basketball sneakers, earrigns, a bracelet and a chain, with lines or stripes cut in your hair. Is that right?

Again, not saying the boss is right.

Now you need to double down and go full rap video. Thicker gold chains, always be holding a stack of cash in one hand and two pitbulls on thick chains in the other.

i guess it depends on how much you want to stay at that job/advance there

If your boss calls you out on something so easy to fix...just fix it and change your shoes.

Dont let your ego turn a nothing into real problems at your job.

Leghound - 

That's a pretty fucked up thing to say if you're as you describe yourself.  Curious, what is it you do?

Advertising. I grew my portfolio from 900k to about 2million in 1 quarter

Pedro Navaja - 
Leghound - 

Advertising. I grew my portfolio from 900k to about 2million in 1 quarter

word

jake11 - Not saying the boss is right but tell me if I got this right..
You wear really tight pants, tight shirt, high top basketball sneakers, earrigns, a bracelet and a chain, with lines or stripes cut in your hair. Is that right?

Again, not saying the boss is right.

FITTED . Not tight. Not baggy. Fitted. Not skinny jean shit either.

I tuck my chain too

Be honest.
Do you at least wear a nice watch?
Or do you have an oversized alarm clock hanging from your neck?

dios - 

You dress like you haven't moved on from the 90's

'93 til infinity

You can't complain about this unless you're willing to go nuclear, and maybe even risk getting blackballed in your industry.

On the plus side, the rap video comment was way out of line (sounds pretty racist based on the context of what everyone else is allowed to do) and might get you some cash if you do decide to go nuclear. However, to make it work, you're going to have to start documenting everything now.

However, considering he is the CEO, you might just have to grin and bear it if you're not willing to go the wall with it. Talk to a lawyer and see what your options are. At the very least document it, and save it as ammo if they ever really do decide to fuck you.

Be cool.  Tell your boss that you want to give the company exactly what they are asking of you.  Ask him to put his concerns about your dress code in writing.

The end.