Bought a lemon car without knowing

So.. buddy works at a dealership. Knew I was trying to find a new car. Last year. August. So he tells me he has this lexus 250 he needs to sell. I said cool what's the price. I nada it and he's selling it for a little over trade in. I'm happy with that. I trade my fusion it and get it paid off(knew I was losing money there but wanted a new car)

Anyway he mentions it was taken back to the dealer. Nothing about total loss title or anything. I sign paperwork(going to go home now and see if I signed anything about a lemon car) and the car is mine.

This year I'm just considering getting a truck. So I run to a dealership and they run a carfax and tell me my car isn't worth shit bc of total loss title. So.... awesome.

I text buddy about it and he claims there was nothing wrong with the car and it shouldn't change the value that much. Well sorry but it does. Any person I sell it to can carfax it.

Moral of the story is. Even when somebody goes vacationing with you once a year. Riding street bikes with you. And invigtes you to their Batchelor party. As a car salesmen they will always fuck you.

Nobody wants to comment on my stupiditity? I was hoping you guys could cheer my dumb ass up a litte.

If anyone can pull the Carfax and see that, then why didn't YOU do the same prior to purchase? Caveat emptor.

M0NARCH - If anyone can pull the Carfax and see that, then why didn't YOU do the same prior to purchase? Caveat emptor.
Precisely. I trusted the guy I bought it from. Didn't think I needed to pull the car fax. Especially when the title showed clear.... my own fault.

bobby14 -
M0NARCH - If anyone can pull the Carfax and see that, then why didn't YOU do the same prior to purchase? Caveat emptor.
Precisely. I trusted the guy I bought it from. Didn't think I needed to pull the car fax. Especially when the title showed clear.... my own fault.

Still should have pulled the carfax report even if he's your good buddy. There could be things on record that he didn't know of.

Your buddy sounds like a complete scumbag.  Cut him loose.

He knew. He even mentioned it but told me it doesn't change value of the car.

Dealers are held to a different standard vs private sellers.

In Jersey its triple damages plus lawyer's fees.

I sued, it went to arbitration and I won.

Car was involved in a really bad wreck.

They did disclose an accident but represented it as a "5 mph parking lot mishap".

If you paid the regular trade-in value for that he made a fuckload of money. Salvage title cars sell for thousands less than market for that very reason. When he told you 'shouldn't change the value that much' he just lied his ass off again. He knows better. 

And only shady car dealers deal in salvage titles period, most unload that to some unscrupulous fuck like your friend. 

bobby14 - 

just an FYI on this, there are times when things are done to cars that don't get recorded for years.

My brother bought a used Mercedes a few years back registered it and drove for about 2 to 3 years. He sold it to someone who then registered it as well. The guy called him about a year ago he went to re-register it and the car came up as a destroyed title. He's trying to get my brother to give him his money back. My brother told him to screw off of course, but still the issue of the title was nearly 10 years old when it was recorded/discovered however you want to look at it.

In

FreightTrain - Dealers are held to a different standard vs private sellers.

In Jersey its triple damages plus lawyer's fees.

I sued, it went to arbitration and I won.

Car was involved in a really bad wreck.

They did disclose an accident but represented it as a "5 mph parking lot mishap".
I'm in Missouri. Going to look into what I can legally do to get what I paid for.

take it back to the dealership and see what they will give you for it.

btw, when you get it registered and insured, wouldn't that have to have been identified on the paperwork?

rushinbear - take it back to the dealership and see what they will give you for it.
6 grand.

I bought a slightly used car last year. I had the salesman run a carfax on it for me.

and what is the car worth (assuming it had a clean title)

bobby14 - So.. buddy works at a dealership. Knew I was trying to find a new car. Last year. August. So he tells me he has this lexus 250 he needs to sell. I said cool what's the price. I nada it and he's selling it for a little over trade in. I'm happy with that. I trade my fusion it and get it paid off(knew I was losing money there but wanted a new car)

Anyway he mentions it was taken back to the dealer. Nothing about total loss title or anything. I sign paperwork(going to go home now and see if I signed anything about a lemon car) and the car is mine.

This year I'm just considering getting a truck. So I run to a dealership and they run a carfax and tell me my car isn't worth shit bc of total loss title. So.... awesome.

I text buddy about it and he claims there was nothing wrong with the car and it shouldn't change the value that much. Well sorry but it does. Any person I sell it to can carfax it.

Moral of the story is. Even when somebody goes vacationing with you once a year. Riding street bikes with you. And invigtes you to their Batchelor party. As a car salesmen they will always fuck you.
Sounfs like he did something illegal or unethical, report his ass.

I dont blame you for trusting a friend.

Lemons have a bug yellow sticker on the inside of the driver door sill stating they were a lemon law buy back. 

If it doesnt have that, drive it back to the dealership amd get your money back in full. Threaten to call the BBB and all the other authorities. . 

rushinbear - and what is the car worth (assuming it had a clean title)
10 Ish. Clean title. The insurance doesn't carfax. It shows a clean Missouri title. But if I title a prior salvage in Kansas it shows rebuilt. Then title in Missouri. It doesn't show prior salvage or anything. Shows clean.