Bowhunters

I want to start hunting and have a lot of land to put a nice range in my backyard so I want to get a bow and start practicing.  Im a lifelong angler so I know the value of good equipment being easier on the body and more reliable.  Not looking for bottom of the barrel but not looking for anything fancy I wouldnt otherwise need or be able to add later.  What do you guys use?  I suppose Id be hunting mainly deer but would love to get an elk one day.  If there are any considerations when buying a bow please educate me.  Thanks in advance! 

![](upload://iiwCRlRRsDHWdLtqbLxPiOE9Aua.jpeg)

^ I'd put my broadhead in her kill zone.

Oh, and I'm not a hardcore bow hunter due to where I live and time constraints, but I have a Bear Encounter that I have had some good success with. It's an accurate midrange bow. I have maybe 850 sunk into it after a drop-away rest, custom string, arrows, case, etc.

I shoot a PSE Stinger.  Ive shot a few deer with it with no issues.  Pretty good bows for the money. 

Bowtech Carbon Icon, only compound bow i’ve ever had: I love it. 

1 Like

Bows made today are so good, you really can’t go wrong with what you choose. Look for some shops and shoot some different bows and see what feels best to you. I’ve had mathews, Hoyt, and bow tech and I liked them in that order. Don’t skimp on broadheads. Any specific questions and I’ll be glad to help. 

Bow tech carbon is a good start.  I had that for a few years... it made long hikes a lot easier.  It’s super light and good quality.  I went with the bow tech realm recently.  I’m happy with it, but sometimes miss the light weight of the carbon.

Get a used Bowtech Invasion off ebay or www.archerytalk.com. Get one ready to go with quality accessories.  Probably. Looking $400. all in. It is light, deadly, easy to shoot and very adjustable.  Good luck

Awesome info thx

i started out w Bowtexh which was great bang for the buck.

i shoot hoyt for the pst cpl yrs and its def a step above.

get good binos, a quality rangefinder (nikon, vortex, leupold) and, a solid COMFORTABLE safetyharness amd fucking WEAR IT.   

seriously, please dont go up in a tree without one.

1 Like

thanks Mike!  

no prob. also join your local chapter of backcountry hunters and anglers and find a good archery shop! both will be a wealth of resources.

Any brand that feels good to you in the hand.

Get one at the bottom of their top end line of bows. $500 for a bare bow will get you all you need in a bow, it will more than serve you well.

I like PSE, but really get what you like.

Oh and fuck trees or sitting in them. Start putting in for points to hunt in the western states.

Bultaco - 

Get a used Bowtech Invasion off ebay or www.archerytalk.com. Get one ready to go with quality accessories.  Probably. Looking $400. all in. It is light, deadly, easy to shoot and very adjustable.  Good luck

Don’t buy a used bow unless it is from someone you know. Ever.

Many used newer looking bows for sale have been dry-fired and are dangerous as fuck. You may not know it until it comes apart in your hands and face.

Find an archery shop. Not an outdoors store. An archery shop. They will let you shoot every bow on the rack. Pick the one that feels the best. Not the most expensive or what someone else shoots. With that said. I currently shoot the Mathews Triax. It’s what was most comfortable for me. 

DemonDeacon -

“Find an archery shop. Not an outdoors store. An archery shop. They will let you shoot every bow on the rack. Pick the one that feels the best. Not the most expensive or what someone else shoots. With that said. I currently shoot the Mathews Triax. It’s what was most comfortable for me.”

You can’t start there, it is far to logical:) Good advise.

But I have yet to see a bow set-up to perfection by a shop. They will get you in the ball park, kinda like bore-sighting a rifle.

It will still need to be fine tuned. Start there, then learn to tune and work on it yourself. The archives on archery talk dot com have all the info you need to know…once you know what type of bow you have.

One cam, two cam, binary cams. Figure out what you have and learn to adjust it, in any and all ways.

we have a good hunting show locally Im going there tomorrow.  Great advice gents thanks! 

BigEyedFish -

we have a good hunting show locally Im going there tomorrow.  Great advice gents thanks! 

How’d it go?

I used to assume the reason people hunted with bows was because it was more natural/more of a challenge/a way to connect with history. Then I saw the high tech bow systems they hunted with that had little in common with traditional archery and realised that theory was wrong. Now I have no idea why they do it.

I read this thread once or twice when I posted it then just went to the shop and saw a couple.   

Glad to come back to the thread and see so many people advocate for this bow.  Thanks for all the help.  I have land in the back and am going to set up targets tomorrow.  The third shot I ever made (25 yards) I shot the second arrow lol.  Stoked.  

![](upload://bRMzT5J9EsSHa4CkZxgYvhwQ7I5.jpeg)