Bowhunters

My man. Great choice. 

HULC -

I used to assume the reason people hunted with bows was because it was more natural/more of a challenge/a way to connect with history. Then I saw the high tech bow systems they hunted with that had little in common with traditional archery and realised that theory was wrong. Now I have no idea why they do it.

The advancements are obviously large compared to a trad / long bow but to think that todays bows make it simple is pretty silly. Go out and shoot a bow first, once you’ve sorted out how to get within 2” of the dot you are shooting at, try to get within 100 yds of a legal critter, in legal hunting season. Then try to get within 50yds, then 30,  then try and standup. Now try and move your arms. Critter still there? Didn’t think so. 

You’re initial assumptions were correct. It is more natural and it is a very, very large challenge.

1 Like

the challenge is a big part of it to me.  My buddy suggested a crossbow but I wanted this.  Cant wait to hunt. 

this was today from 30 yards.  I keep pulling to the right (Im a lefty).  Not sure why.  Thought we had it sighted in pretty good at the shop.  Im also shooting up an incline here with a differential of about 6 feet or so on this spot.  

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated thanks 

![](upload://38i4sRUvj8SS2DjpvnLWIMddye3.jpeg)

Do you use a release? How hard is the trigger on the release to pull? I had a faulty one before that was kinda hard to pull, and it made me anticipate the shot more and the actual force of pulling it pulled my arrows. The elevation should effect where you hit on the target not the grouping. Also the target looks like it moves around possibly when your shooting it. That would also effect the grouping. Either way it’s a amazing sport and practice practice practice! 

BigEyedFish -

this was today from 30 yards.  I keep pulling to the right (Im a lefty).  Not sure why.  Thought we had it sighted in pretty good at the shop.  Im also shooting up an incline here with a differential of about 6 feet or so on this spot.  

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated thanks 

![](upload://38i4sRUvj8SS2DjpvnLWIMddye3.jpeg)

If the sight is completely level, you may be canting the bow slightly which affects left and right movement. Its also possible your sight isn't perfectly level itself but more likely the former.

Shooting up and downhill makes it much easier to be off on your cant and you may not even notice at the shot if your bubble is level.

Switched to level ground. Much better. 30 yds. Not too bad for second time holding a bow.

![](upload://2aKRXerRJU2pG5s3cnPJITL0AUI.jpeg)

Relevant to my interests 

BigEyedFish -

Switched to level ground. Much better. 30 yds. Not too bad for second time holding a bow.

![](upload://2aKRXerRJU2pG5s3cnPJITL0AUI.jpeg)

Yeah level ground takes one big variable out of the equation. I should've mentioned in my previous reply that those groups are great for a beginner.  You cut that in half and you'll be just as good if not better than your average bowhunter.

As far as any left right weirdness from shot to shot, if it's not the tuning of the now, it could be so many other things too, like trigger punch, d-loop over rotation, pulling the string too hard into your face/anchor point, it could be the fletchings on that one arrow, the spine could be out of wack on a couple of your arrows... literally could be a dozen or more things.

On top of all that, it could just be user error, lol. Archery is like golf - you need to keep so many process steps in mind, remember them, and then also execute the actual physical action correctly. Frustrating but damn fun!

tweaked my sight today and just nailed it.  Hit a centre bull at 42 yards.  Really loving this.  Learning so much about technique and timing...Cant wait to use this for real. 

In

I knew there was a thread I just couldn’t bump it ha 

Dead in the afternoon about 350 feet from my house in my backyard I spotted this little guy. So rare to see bucks out in the middle of the afternoon. I see giants all the time on my trailcams out back on the property but only once have I seen a buck before this time and it was 8 years ago (a monster). This year I kept mason bees so my fruit trees would bear fruit and bring the deer. Plan seems to be working. Now if I can bag one in the Fall Ill be pretty stoked.

Next weekend for us. Can’t wait.

I almost bought the Carbon Icon last year. Ended up with a Mathews VXR. I’m still not sure it was worth the extra dough.

Bow hunting, especially public land, it’s very hard. Finding them is one thing. Getting a shot is another. Either way it’s insanely fun.