Boxing Ain't Dead

All this talk about boxing being on the decline and MMA overtaking it as the greatest combat sport is hooey. I am a big fan of both MMA and boxing, probably actually a bigger fan of MMA, but I have to say I have never in my life been as excited for a fight as I am for De La Hoya v. Mayweather. I think its going to be one of the best fights in history.

The backstory behind the fight, the bad blood, the LEGENDARY fighters. Not to mention the incredible marketing. I think all promoters could take a lesson from the 24/7 show and put together a mini-series similar to it for big fights because it's very intriguing. When I was watching the episode last night I kept thinking "this is going to be epic"

People are saying this is boxings' last hoorah, but once these guys are gone, their promotions (namely Oscar's) will continue to put on great fights, for a long time. Boxing ain't dead. And it isn't going anywhere.

Canuck34 is correct. Boxing will always be around and probably always generate more money than MMA but it has to start promoting fighters better to get them to star status.

"Hell, most people don't even know who Floyd is outside of hardcore fight fans."

A hell of a lot more people are going to know who Floyd Mayweather is after he beats Oscar. He'll have twice as much mainstream name recognition, which will only help him in future PPV fights against guys like Cotto, Hatton, or Margarito. If he could do 350 000 buys against guys like Judah before, then expect him to be able to do 500 000+ in the future. I mean, this fight with Oscar is being written about in Time Magazine, the type of coverage the boxing almost never gets. Add to that the HBO reality series and Mayweather is quickly becoming a name on the tip of every sports fan.

Also, I seriously doubt this will be Oscar's last fight. He's been talking retirement for years now but there will still be big fights for him after this one, even if he loses. The Trinidad rematch is still good for 1 million PPV buys, as is a fight with someone like Winky Wright or Jermain Taylor.

While I am very excited for this fight, I have to say this is boxings last horrah.

Didn't Calzaghe just draw 35,000 in England?

Don't forget guys that in the lare 80's the heavy weight division was terrible with Burbick, thomas, and Tucker as champs until Tyson came out of nowhere and slammed everyone. Boxing is ripe for a new hero when that days comes.

The thing is, Americans who love MMA like to think boxing is dead, but in reality it's just that America is losing it's dominance while boxing continues to grow all over, Europe in particular. Also see this months addition of Ring Magazine where they cover the resurgence of Canadian boxing, in stores tomorrow.

at the same time with regards to the hype, rarely is such large amounts of hype met. a lot of time spent on such hype leads to only dissappointment when you pay 60++ dollars only to see PBF take Oscar out with in 5, in a one sided clowning. People get sick of events hyped to such extremes and hype not met, which turns people away. People want their money's worth and thats the bottom line. all the pre fight lead up means jack if the fight itself does not match. dont be a sucker for the hype.

"I think the big issue with boxing is what fights are left after this one? There are no real up and comers that are capturing anyone's interest. Hell, most people don't even know who Floyd is outside of hardcore fight fans."

While the UFC seems to always have up-and-comers with a lot of potential and ready to make an impact.

I don't understand why people on here are not complaining that the card isn't full of 12 top ten guys. I mean for 60 bucks you think you would get more.lol Sorry but people always complaining about the price of ufc ppv's. This is more expensive and there is only one fight people want to see. On a side note I hope Oscar ko's PBF in the 1st round.

"I don't understand why people on here are not complaining that the card isn't full of 12 top ten guys. I mean for 60 bucks you think you would get more.lol"

You jest, but at least Don King did just that. He would put 3 or 4 title fights on each PPV.

Now it's the main event and not much else.

I saw 24/7 for the first time last night and I was very intrugued about this match.  This will be a very legendary match and I am excited to order it.  Isnt De La Hoya getting paid 25M and Mayweather 10M?  Thats just what I heard.....

Good marketing? I don't even know when the fight is.

I believe May 5th

"All this talk about boxing being on the decline and MMA overtaking it as the greatest combat sport is hooey ... I have never in my life been as excited for a fight as I am for De La Hoya v. Mayweather"

You've mentioned ONE fight. What other boxing matches (or "events in boxing") in the last year can you say that about? Personally I think of:

The UFC purchase of Pride -
Royce vs. Hughes -
GSP vs. Hughes -
Sylvia vs. Couture -
Franklin vs. Silva -
GSP vs. Serra -
Gomi vs. Diaz -
Liddell vs. Jackson -
Horodecki vs. Palaszewski

Those are just some of MY favorites. I can't remember the last time boxing had that many fights that I was interested in and was excited to watch in a year's time frame.

The only guys I care to see fight are Gatti, DLH, PBF, Samuel peter, The Kiltschko brothers, and Mayorga.

i wasnt listing huge fights in boxing in the last year, i was saying this is the most excited i've ever been for any fight, including all the mma i've seen. im sure if i were on a boxing websites forum, thered be a long list. all im saying is, this fight is HUGE.

yes, oscar is the main draw because not alot of people know floyd. pscars the good guy, the family man, the golden boy. floyd is the flithly rich, disrespectful, bad guy. the whole thing just seems surreal right now, like a better version of rocky or something. both guys are legends in a long established sport.

not taking anything away from mma legends like couture, saku, royce etc., its just that to be considered a legend in boxing you're compared with the greats from the last 100 years or so. you need some serious credentials like olympic gold, titles in multiple divisions, etc. to be a real legend. one that'll be remember for another 100 years.

all im saying is, although to some, it may seem like this is the last big fight, theres no way it is. and if promoters can use reality shows like the 24/7 one of HBO that'll expose people to up and comers, or guys that the public doesnt know who are preparing for big fights.

excuse me for stealing a line from my japanese friends but..BOXING never die!