BOXING EXPERTS: Tear apart my technique (vid)

Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker. I have been casually working on my boxing technique for a good 6 or so years now and would love y'all to poke some holes in my form.

I've set the goal of finally getting in shape and having an amateur fight this year and would be keen for some tips/reality check.

Blue please: https://youtu.be/u-KcohwOJNY

Beautiful! Stay nice and patient relax. Breathe, okay? Let's rinse that mouth, don't swallow it, rinse it. Champ, beautiful work. We're feinting, we're keeping both hands up. We're feinting -- a lot of feints when we're pressing.  Phone Post 3.0

Go hard op. Phone Post 3.0

bumping for support

please, I'm a very desperate man.

OP is a dangerously dangerous man. He'd kill Kovalev with one punch imo. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for the kind words, I would love to test my skills against a Joe Rogan/Conor McGregor type.

Try hooking after more of your left hands, it will bring you back into your starting position much faster than just pulling your left hand back.

Focus on shifting your weight when you punch. You should feel it in your thighs. Right thigh for right handed shots (other than your jab), left thigh for left handed shots.

Try getting a little farther away and jabbing. Bend your back knee a bit more and push off your back foot. It will give you a longer jab with a bit more power.

Move your head a little bit more, and incorporate feints.

Incorporate more angles. You did a nice move at one point in the video where you created an angle, but I didn't see you attempt to do so again.

Overall, good job in my opinion.

I'll watch and give feedback soon. Phone Post 3.0

For OP

Also, make sure that your chin stays down when you uppercut. I only saw you throw two the entire time, and one wasn't too bad but on the second one, your chin came up and you leaned out of it a bit. Shift your weight from your left thigh on the uppercut, to your right thigh and that should prevent that from happening. Also, hook after your left uppercuts. You'll be in a position to do so if you shift your weight. Think of the uppercut as lifting your opponents head up, and the hook takes it off.

Also, you threw a nice hook to the body. Try to hook back to the head after it. It serves a couple of purposes. The first hook to the body will possibly cause your opponent to drop their hand a bit when they protect their body, opening them up for a hook to the head, and second, hooking to the head after you hook to the body forces you to bring your own hand back up.

Set your feet then punch, several times your were stepping/moving and punching, you lose power. Also, you tend to telegraph your punches with the slight up and down shaking motion prior to hitting the bag (0:8-0:9 seconds). If that was a live opponent, they would time that and anticipate your attacks.

Keep it up though. Jab looks good.

Keith Palmer - Try hooking after more of your left hands, it will bring you back into your starting position much faster than just pulling your left hand back.

Focus on shifting your weight when you punch. You should feel it in your thighs. Right thigh for right handed shots (other than your jab), left thigh for left handed shots.

Try getting a little farther away and jabbing. Bend your back knee a bit more and push off your back foot. It will give you a longer jab with a bit more power.

Move your head a little bit more, and incorporate feints.

Incorporate more angles. You did a nice move at one point in the video where you created an angle, but I didn't see you attempt to do so again.

Overall, good job in my opinion.

Cheers Keith, I will definitely work on these tonight.

Much appreciated.

Maybe I'll post another clip after.

jcblass - 

Set your feet then punch, several times your were stepping/moving and punching, you lose power. Also, you tend to telegraph your punches with the slight up and down shaking motion prior to hitting the bag (0:8-0:9 seconds). If that was a live opponent, they would time that and anticipate your attacks.

Keep it up though. Jab looks good.

sigh Man I cant tell you how long I have tried to get rid of that "shaking". When I spar (rarely) the better boxers have a field day.

DanTheCan - It is said boxers get more solidity and power when they make 3 knuckle landing (pinky, ring, middle). Phone Post 3.0

Thanks mate, I was taught index and middle.

I'll make that adjustment.

Not bad op, try exiting with a hook instead of extending the right to create distance. VU either way mate. Phone Post 3.0

DanTheCan - It is said boxers get more solidity and power when they make 3 knuckle landing (pinky, ring, middle). Phone Post 3.0
Does that go the same with mma gloves or do you steer clear of the pinky? Phone Post 3.0

Your body shots were some of your best punches. You are doing a good job of working in with the jab, when you get inside throw more of those body shots, even doubling up on the same side or going hook to the body, hook with the same side to the head, then a straight with the other hand before exciting. Also I do the shaking thing too so if you ever find a fix lmk! Phone Post 3.0

mackass - Your body shots were some of your best punches. You are doing a good job of working in with the jab, when you get inside throw more of those body shots, even doubling up on the same side or going hook to the body, hook with the same side to the head, then a straight with the other hand before exciting. Also I do the shaking thing too so if you ever find a fix lmk! Phone Post 3.0

Thanks man, these are all going on a list!

Shaky hands fo lyfe bruh...

You actually look fairly fast handed but there are a few problems with your bag work.

1) you leaves your feet in the exact same place after finishing your combinations.
-After you finish throwing punches, you should still be going into some sort of defensive movement. Whether that be bending at the knees slightly or better yet, moving your feet out of the way

2) your hands drop terribly after you finish your combinations, especially your right hand. You aren't covering your temples or even your chin.
-When my hands finish anywhere other than my temples after I finish my combinations, my trainer slaps me right in the fucking ear.

3) you throw the same combination repeatedly. That's not realistic, no one with any skill will allow you just keep throwing the same punching combination again and again. The most you should throw the exact same combination on pads is two times in a row. Bag work is the time to correct mistakes and reinforce good habits. Not throw the same combo again and again. That doesn't confuse your brain and your body and force you to exert yourself and tire yourself out.

4) you suck for not trying to slip a single punch in that sequence. Defense is probably the most important skill to have. The ability to seamlessly blend defense and offense is the most important skill you can have.

5) You also doesn't show yourself punching tired. That's when all the mistakes you thought you corrected come back.

6) you look fairly relaxed when you're actually throwing punches but you look pretty stiff in your time in between combinations. If you want to keep a pace like that for even more than two rounds, you would have to be in incredible shape. Phone Post 3.0