BOXING EXPERTS: Tear apart my technique (vid)

Bro
Its good but.....
You gotta throw more jabs, like 3 at a time minimum, pop pop pop all quality! No one likes a stiff jab let alone 3 good ones popping their head up
Jabbing high sets up the body shot and quick jab to body sets up nice short overhand power shot
Run senarios that happen in sparring ie opponent ducks or leans back what combo you gonna use to exploit
And always finish with your lead hook in close or nasty jab at end of combo. Gets your hands back where they need to be as posted previously.
Thats just your jab :)

What helped me was little sayings...
If your not boxing, your moving...and if not moving your boxing

If you think you have thrown enough jabs....you haven't so throw more

Keep your hands where you don't wanna get hit

And the king....punches in bunches

Rolling_Thunder -
mackass - Your body shots were some of your best punches. You are doing a good job of working in with the jab, when you get inside throw more of those body shots, even doubling up on the same side or going hook to the body, hook with the same side to the head, then a straight with the other hand before exciting. Also I do the shaking thing too so if you ever find a fix lmk! Phone Post 3.0

Thanks man, these are all going on a list!

Shaky hands fo lyfe bruh...
Do some shadow boxing in front of a mirror, and when your going through your movements, if you have to slow down to get the technique right then do so.

Because the habit is ingrained you'll have to focus on your body mechanics to avoid slipping into habit but it takes time and perseverance, first technique then speed will come. Phone Post 3.0

Rolling_Thunder -
DanTheCan - It is said boxers get more solidity and power when they make 3 knuckle landing (pinky, ring, middle). Phone Post 3.0

Thanks mate, I was taught index and middle.

I'll make that adjustment.
I was told this too cos those knuckles run directly inline with your arm. Phone Post 3.0

3 things.

1. Telegraphing. Almost every combo. I know it's hard to get rid of, but the way I worked almost all of it out was to stand dead still with hands up and just fire the punches out, no wind up. Took a long time, and sometimes it's till there, but 95% of the time my hands are steady.

2. Hands. They're low. Touching your chin low, at best. You finish the combos and your hands are at neck height. Problem with that is youre still in punching range most of the time. They need to be slightly higher. It's another hard one to work on. Get someone to stand behind you with a pool noodle, and get them to tap you when your hands are down. Especially when you're working the bag or pads, thats when the worst habits start.

3. Uppercuts. That body rip at 1.12 is how all your uppercuts need to wind up. Hands up, dip your knees, hips twist and then the hand moves. The other ones you did aren't worth throwing. You're not close enough to land them off a jab and you'll leave yourself open to counter attacks if you fire them from that far away.

Honestly, you're pretty good. You move well and all your punches are all very crisp. It's hard to see what you're doing wrong a lot of the time without someone pointing it out while you're practising. There have been plenty of people with less training than you, and who are absolute garbage, get in and fight, and then win. You'll do fine, at worst it's a learning experience. Phone Post 3.0

I'm no expert, but I do know you need Edmund in here to tell you you're doing great champ! Phone Post 3.0

Some great advice, here, as always.

I'll just add a couple of minor things.

- When moving your feet, try getting comfortable with circling to your right. As a leftie, you want your right foot outside of his left. This will also create a small angle.

- Beautiful body rip! Try getting the same level with your lead hook. Drill the one two combo of lead hook then straight right.

- When doing the standard one two, make sure you step on BOTH punches, not just your jab. Keep your feet under you.

- Watch the bow and arrow effect when you jab. I only saw a slight hint of it, but be mindful of it so it doesn't get out of control.

All in all you're doing great and you have a great base to work from. Don't despair from all the tips - I'd be here all day if I had to critique myself, ha, and I've fought in the ring.

You got a fight coming up against a dwarf? Because my sternum hurts just from watching that video. Or are you just really tall and the video's deceiving Phone Post 3.0

Good work, do you have formal boxing experience? Or is this a product of you being left to your own devices? 

A few things I'd point out:

- Start engaging from further back, you want to incorporate some step ups for your techniques. There are many types of jabs/crosses but a great way to work on the basics is a nice step with your punches. It'll help you learn to cover your chin with the jabbing shoulder, establish your comfortable range and allow you to work on your exits. Now you may think you were stepping, but actually you were doing more of a 'on the spot' step up, as you were too close to the bag, I can see your leg take what looks to be a step, but it returns straight back down where it started.

- Exit with head movement and pivots around the way the back moves. Rather than dropping the hands a bit and doing a little strut, finish your techniques, use the bags momentum to govern which way you cover/pivot off or move your head and work on your exits from there. From that when the bag comes back towards you, you've got an excellent opportunity to practice a quick counter shot or evasive manoeuvre.

- Turn your hand over and extend the whole body with the cross and snap it back. Focus as much on snapping back with punches than just simply throwing them out there. 

- Work with the bag, move around it and start varying your punches/combinations accordingly. Bags coming back in and you're not ready to throw? Use a step back jab, jab/cross to the body, a cover & body hook etc. Vary it. 

- One more thing! When you jab, that right hand is covering - GOOD. But when you throw a jab, cross, or a hook... the right hand is coming from way down low and not at all where it covers when you throw a jab. Little things like that, are what gets exploited by crafty fighters. Don't wind up. 

Great advice here, so I'll be very brief.

Bag doesn't hit back, but it's good to pretend it does. Feint more and pretend there are punches coming towards you from time to time, not just at the end of your combos.

and something I used to do, is that bouncing up and down of the hands. It's literally like a metronome to a good opponent. Seriously, once you stop that, you'll get tagged a lot less by the better guys you spar with.

Jab, jab, jab. (and then jab some more)

Some good advice in this thread.
Im not expert so take this how you will.

Two things struck me watching that (which has been mentioned already)
The lack of hooks Which I don't necessarily think is a terrible thing. Good straight punches will take you along way and seem like they will serve your style well as you seem to want to keep the fight at a distance. ( be careful not to leave yourself expose in close though). It also seems like your not throwing everything into your punches either ( they don't look that powerful ) but that's not a terrible thing either especially if you're accurate which it seems like you are. It's better to throw lighter punches that land than heavy ones that miss. You get tired quicker too.

The other thing I noticed was a lack of head movement. A lot of fighter , even high level fighters arn't big on head movement so it's certainly not the be all end all but personally I'm a big fan of it. It's one of those things that's so basic but so easy to forget to do if you don't practice it all the time.
I've only had 1 kickboxing fight so there's definitely people here that know a lot more than me That's just what stuck out to me.

Have a fight mate. I think you'll do ok.
Good luck. Phone Post 3.0

bungee up - Some good advice in this thread.

The lack of hooks Which I don't necessarily think is a terrible thing. Good straight punches will take you along way and seem like they will serve your style well as you seem to want to keep the fight at a distance. ( be careful not to leave yourself expose in close though). It also seems like your not throwing everything into your punches either ( they don't look that powerful ) but that's not a terrible thing either especially if you're accurate which it seems like you are. It's better to throw lighter punches that land than heavy ones that miss. You get tired quicker too.

The other thing I noticed was a lack of head movement. A lot of fighter , even high level fighters arn't big on head movement so it's certainly not the be all end all but personally I'm a big fan of it. It's one of those things that's so basic but so easy to forget to do if you don't practice it all the time.
I've only had 1 kickboxing fight so there's definitely people here that know a lot more than me That's just what stuck out to me.

A lot of guys who don't move the head much though are always using other methods that are less obvious to the eye. 

Always coming off of the center line when they throw, for example a jab cross - they aren't throwing that right there in the middle, they are moving as they do it.

With good range control and footwork you can negate the need for it to some extent. Luckily, all things that can be practiced on a bag :) 

Darth_Vladar -
bungee up - Some good advice in this thread.

A lot of guys who don't move the head much though are always using other methods that are less obvious to the eye. 

Always coming off of the center line when they throw, for example a jab cross - they aren't throwing that right there in the middle, they are moving as they do it.

With good range control and footwork you can negate the need for it to some extent. Luckily, all things that can be practiced on a bag :) 

Your absolutely right.

I was just talking about making your head a moving target though. Phone Post 3.0

^ just realised your original post was probably the only one in this thread I didn't read.
Great stuff. Phone Post 3.0

Darth_Vladar - 

Good work, do you have formal boxing experience? Or is this a product of you being left to your own devices? 

- Start engaging from further back, you want to incorporate some step ups for your techniques. There are many types of jabs/crosses but a great way to work on the basics is a nice step with your punches. It'll help you learn to cover your chin with the jabbing shoulder, establish your comfortable range and allow you to work on your exits. Now you may think you were stepping, but actually you were doing more of a 'on the spot' step up, as you were too close to the bag, I can see your leg take what looks to be a step, but it returns straight back down where it started.

- Exit with head movement and pivots around the way the back moves. Rather than dropping the hands a bit and doing a little strut, finish your techniques, use the bags momentum to govern which way you cover/pivot off or move your head and work on your exits from there. From that when the bag comes back towards you, you've got an excellent opportunity to practice a quick counter shot or evasive manoeuvre.

- Turn your hand over and extend the whole body with the cross and snap it back. Focus as much on snapping back with punches than just simply throwing them out there. 

- Work with the bag, move around it and start varying your punches/combinations accordingly. Bags coming back in and you're not ready to throw? Use a step back jab, jab/cross to the body, a cover & body hook etc. Vary it. 

- One more thing! When you jab, that right hand is covering - GOOD. But when you throw a jab, cross, or a hook... the right hand is coming from way down low and not at all where it covers when you throw a jab. Little things like that, are what gets exploited by crafty fighters. Don't wind up. 

Cheers man, I will genuinely work on all of these.

I have had coaching from some great trainers here in Sydney, but unfortunately I work odd hours and can't seem to find time enough hold down regular training. So probably a few months a year over about 6 years...

So yeah, time away from tips like these make it easy to develop bad habits. So I started filming myself and here we are!

Its pretty insane the amount of knowledge on this forum. So much great advice in this thread, I'll get to work and will no doubt be back for more.

Keith Palmer - Also, make sure that your chin stays down when you uppercut. I only saw you throw two the entire time, and one wasn't too bad but on the second one, your chin came up and you leaned out of it a bit. Shift your weight from your left thigh on the uppercut, to your right thigh and that should prevent that from happening. Also, hook after your left uppercuts. You'll be in a position to do so if you shift your weight. Think of the uppercut as lifting your opponents head up, and the hook takes it off.

Also, you threw a nice hook to the body. Try to hook back to the head after it. It serves a couple of purposes. The first hook to the body will possibly cause your opponent to drop their hand a bit when they protect their body, opening them up for a hook to the head, and second, hooking to the head after you hook to the body forces you to bring your own hand back up.
Keith, Pretty God damn good breakdown. He looks pretty good. Good suggestions and good eye. Maybe some more rotation on his left straight for additional power and length on that punch. Plus it will definitely help that hook as you suggested. Phone Post 3.0

Lots of good advice, the only thing i can offer is some basic southpaw strategy

Use your feet to get into outside or inside position, dont just stand infront of the bag throwing combos because they wont land without the proper foot positioning

hop step or side step left to land jabs/right hooks, use jab, right hook pivot to get into outside position to land your left

The bag should not be used as a conditioning tool but rather see it as a live body, wich means pivoting around it, following it as it moves away, angling off with hooks or hop step + left straight as it comes towards you

Bumping around it

Rolling_Thunder - 
Darth_Vladar - 

Cheers man, I will genuinely work on all of these.

I have had coaching from some great trainers here in Sydney, but unfortunately I work odd hours and can't seem to find time enough hold down regular training. So probably a few months a year over about 6 years...

So yeah, time away from tips like these make it easy to develop bad habits. So I started filming myself and here we are!

Its pretty insane the amount of knowledge on this forum. So much great advice in this thread, I'll get to work and will no doubt be back for more.

No problem, 

You'll find a lot of what I said will chain together naturally. For example starting further back will not only cover that whole point - but it will force you to naturally turn the hand over and extend through your punches better as you won't be 'crowding' your work. You've given yourself the space to move.

You'll find by extending and not crowding your own shots you are then able to snap them back better, and as you snap them back more effectively you're going to find moving off & pivot moves easier to pull off as they will blend together with the body returning to guard etc. 

It's a process, stick at it and practice a few things at a time. Too much information can be a bad thing at times, get a few things right, move on and keep that up until you've cracked it all and shit will just flow. 

Good luck!

Throw way more jabs. It's obvious you favour the straight right but you hang the jab out there, kind of pawing Phone Post 3.0

Can't watch the video now, but TONS of great advice on this thread for anyone. Phone Post 3.0

where u from op if ur in Philly area let's spar Phone Post 3.0