Boxing gyms

What are some boxing gyms in the Boston area? Also, what can I expect to pay for private boxing training?

I noticed that many boxing gyms do not do much formal training. You just go there to work out and hopefully get 5 min attention from a traine if your are lucky. I personally would rather pay more and get more attention. What do you guys think?

"I noticed that many boxing gyms do not do much formal training. You just go there to work out and hopefully get 5 min attention from a traine if your are lucky. I personally would rather pay more and get more attention. What do you guys think?"

Depends on what you mean by formal. Boxing gyms aren't like karate classes so they primarily cater to fighters. Personally I prefer this environment. Formal training in a boxing gym is refered to as a boxer's workout or boxing circuit. Usually divided into rounds of heavybag, speedbag, double end bag, and sometimes mitts and live sparring. Wether you pay the extra for a trainer or go in from scratch you'll do the boxer workout.

However, you'll definately benefit if you pay for private lessons first OR contact an assistant coach at the gym (there are usually 2-4 assistants at any given gym). You're gonna have to learn the basics first so you can benefit from the training (skill-wise). Becoming proficient at the basics will catch the eye of most trainers and they'll be more inclined to help you sharpen technique, correct flaws and teach you more advanced skills.

TTT-

How about the fees I can expect to pay for private instructions. I an just looking to get a feeling what other are paying. I am not talking about a world class coach. Just somebody who has formal experience in coaching and has fought competatively for a few years.

Come on guys,, feedback please. I'm sure this chat room has to have more than just boxing fans. There must be a least a few boxers who have some feedback.. Thanks-

Cost of private lessons really varies. Also, coaches seem to price based on a number of different things that can range from whether you want to compete, what your skill level is, how much you can afford to pay, and how much they like you.

my trainer tony pep charges like 40 to 60 dollars canadian for a hour session