Boxing Question from Andre

This was posted on the OG but is clearly an UG question:

Date: 07/02/07 03:31 PM
30056 Total Posts
Ignore User
<SCRIPT> if (readCookie('MMATV_USERID') == 93361) { document.writeln('Edit  '); } </SCRIPT>

I bet my friend that pre-1963, boxing matches didnt involve full power punches to the face. He doesnt believe me when I tell him that old time boxers used to "sell" the punch by slapping their chests with the non-punching hand.

I've got $300 riding on this, so any online proof you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

How can all the boxing experts on the UG not have an answer?

My suspicions about posting it here were correct!

"My suspicions about posting it here were correct!"

What can I say I thought these bastards would be all over it. I guess all they can talk about is PRIDE vs. UFC and Rickson vs. various mammals.

"...pre-1963, boxing matches didnt involve full power punches to the face..."

Andre is correct.

LOL@the photoshops you guys posted as evidence.

There are some BRUTAL kos from body shots in that era, even though i am of the belief that boxers of that era are overrated.

Fixed your typo.

Steve72 is correct. Body shots were allowed, but boxers SOLD the head punches by slapping their chests with their non-punching hands. The sound was the same, and the receiving boxer acted like he was being punched, but no actual contact was made.

"boxers SOLD the head punches by slapping their chests with their non-punching hands. The sound was the same, and the receiving boxer acted like he was being punched, but no actual contact was made."

You're officially on crack dude.

The burden of proof, actually, is on Andre, because he's the one making the claim.

LOL!! And that's QUITE a burden he's got there.

Woo hoo! This is going to be a hoot. :)

I'm was fairly certain that this was common knowledge.

I read a book once by Boxing legend, Willy "One Eye" McKermitt who was LHW champ for over 14 years back in the early 1900's. He talked about slapping his chest so hard (to produce a convincing sound) that he cracked his own sternum.

Its well known.

Kakarotto is correct.

You have to remember that pre-1963, boxing was solely about entertainment not sport. Real fights are rarely as entertaining as the ones that are played up (like in Rocky).

You guys are so deluded.

Pre-1963, boxing didn't exist. What people called boxing was a mass hallucination caused by cocaine in Coca-Cola and radium in clock faces.

Are you serious about this, Andre? I promise I didn't photoshop those pictures. I guess it's possible someone else did.

Learn something new every day.

"Kakarotto is correct.

You have to remember that pre-1963, boxing was solely about entertainment not sport. Real fights are rarely as entertaining as the ones that are played up (like in Rocky)."

You've entered the twilight zone man.

Your claim doesn't explain the myriad head injuries that occurred during Lamotta's, Robinson's, Marciano's, Louis's, Dempsey's, Johnson's, Zale, Graziano, et al's reign as all-time boxing greats.

Photographic evidence of head injuries are numerous pre-1963. This does not include actual testimony from numerous ringside witnesses, doctors, and the boxers themselves.

The Walcott-Marciano photo (supplied by OneRoundBrown) is the most spectacular and famous of such photos.

That photo was taken in the 50's. Before photoshop, personal computers, and the internet was even invented.

Your claim stands simply on a line of "reasoning" that you cannot support either anecdotally, photographically, or logically.

But I'm in the mood to be amused, so I won't stop you. :)

Dude, what are you talking about?

First of all, you claim that there is "photographic evidence" of head injuries.... prove it. Show me this evidence.

Secondly, most of the ringside witnesses, doctors, and boxers are IN ON IT. They are part of the show man! Wake up!

Believe me, most of the stuff you see is fake, altered, doctored, or photoshopped.

Kakarotto said it best.

Andre, you need to do some reading about boxing history and watch some of the fights on ESPN classsics (pre-1963). I would suggest that you begin by reading anything by Randy Roberts (his books on Jack Johnson and Dempsey) and Michael Isenberg's John L. Sullivan and His America.

In their rematch, Joe Louis nearly killed Max Schmeling, fyi.

Honestly, I thought that this was a joke thread until I started reading some of the posts. That some fighters threw "fixed" fights is well-known but that all boxing matches prior to 1963 were works is one of the silliest things that I have ever heard.

I don't know what to believe anymore. My world is ROCKED.