brabo / darce debate (pics)

Seen some posts as of late, thought maybe i could take some pictures of the grips, if of course my understanding is correct about the grip difference in the chokes. This is imo of course, so it could be wrong.

http://www.angelfire.com/blog/jiujitsu101/

I'm not good at either, so I may be wrong, but the second pic you posted is usually the set up for the first. In other words, it allows you to crank the neck in so that you can slide your arm in deep to finish like you did in the first. Ive never seen someone finish from the position you are in in the second pic.

actually i finish alot more from pic two. Turn your top arm in on the top part of their neck similiar to a baseball type choke with the gi on. then sit your hips in facing theirs and walk your hips into them. Wasn't really showing the chokes over the grips. Like i said this is just how i understood them to be. According to my wife though i am wrong alot ;)

ps on aseopian (sp) site check the video by subfighter on the brabo choke homework section. The guys shows how to finish from pic 2

http://www.aesopian.com/143/brabo-choke-homework/

ttt

im sure these have been discussed before, but id love to hear what the experts on here have to say about these moves

cool, thanks, fullofbs. I really need to learn the entire Darce game. Id like to use it, but also not get caught in it so much.

fullofbs, your grip in pic 2 is opposite of the grip in all of those instructionals. to match all of the instructionals i have ever seen on this move, your right palm (in your pic 2) should be facing your body and your left should be facing away. is there a reason you are doing it in that manner?

there are tonnes of awesome brabo/darce/guillotine front headlock combos, many of them touch on in aesopians thing and jeff rockwell's. tony desouza's vid is also an excellent resource- although not the greatest vid there are lots of cool things in it.

The grip you are talking about for me makes it difficult to turn my top arm in over top their neck to create the baseball type choke i like to use.

Plus with the other grip you are limited on the amount of torque you can get on the head. I usually use this grip when i go for brabo but can't get deep enough through to grab my bicep. Also works well for guys with shorter arms for the reason.

I'll try both tonight as i've never tried the other rolling and see if it works.

Hey fullofbs, long time no see.

I've been getting into the brabo a lot lately after all the discussion on here. I've never actually done the d'arce then if you're right in which is which.

The way I've been successful with it so far is to use the grip in your 2nd pic, but reverse the grip like demandango is saying, but I don't finish there. By going into them like a baseball type choke with that grip, I don't actually finish them, but pull my other arm in much deeper, and then switch to the brabo styled grip to finish.

I'll have to try out that grip your showing in the 2nd pic.

that's my goal for my last two months here, learn the fucking brabo. I don't get caught in it as much these days, but i want to learn it so bad!

"us with the other grip you are limited on the amount of torque you can get on the head. I usually use this grip when i go for brabo but can't get deep enough through to grab my bicep. Also works well for guys with shorter arms for the reason."

i don't know if this is true for me. i think the standard grip in the instructionals provides more torque on the head.