Brandon Vera Had So Much Potential

Somewhere down the line I feel like he slacked, lost and as a result, his confidence was never the same. The Vera that first stormed the scene would have never lost to Elliott Marshall or even Thiago Silva. What a shame that we never got to see what he could've really became in the sport. Phone Post

potential is an excuse for inaction in his case.

Crooklyn - Add Tyson Griffin to that list. 

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard? Phone Post

um.....................no

You just bought into the HYPE.

LOL at "I will be HW and LWH champ"

you bought that shit hook, line and sinker.

Vera was way over hyped and nothing special. he has totally lived up to his potential.

Vera and Griffin ruined what would have been a big night at the bookie for me. They both went from top tier to off of a cliff. 

Vera hasn't been the same since he left Mark Dion and City Boxing.   

to me it looks lik ehe is trying to be too technical and waiting for the perfect opportunity to throw insert strike/takedown/submission of your choice here .

Many a very good fighter can look horrible by waiting for that perfect opportunity and trying to not make mistakes.  Like an old boxing/JJJ coach told me....fuck technique, that gets taken care of in the gym, just hit the motherfucker.

He's too chill

The sad thing is that winning has more importance than entertaining in the UFC. Sure if you entertain, you could get bonuses, better pay days etc but the prospect of being cut and then slipping back to regional shows etc and maybe getting 5-6K is enough to really take the desire to entertain out of people. He really has become gun shy and looks to be fighting scared to lose.

Mica Kizbig - The sad thing is that winning has more importance than entertaining in the UFC. Sure if you entertain, you could get bonuses, better pay days etc but the prospect of being cut and then slipping back to regional shows etc and maybe getting 5-6K is enough to really take the desire to entertain out of people. He really has become gun shy and looks to be fighting scared to lose.

This is complete bullshit. So yeah what's Dan Hardy and Matt Browns record and uh what was Jon Madsen and Waylon Lowes record before getting cut? 

Being exciting is every bit as important as winning. How many fighters have gotten extra fights because they were exciting and how many guys with good records were cut because they were boring. Being exciting is a huge part of fighters popularity as well. You don't get boring fighters in the main event unless they have a brilliant record.

Vera just hasn't developed. The guys he fought when he was a great prospect quite frankly were awful. At some point people will learn how big a difference level of competition makes but until then we'll see insert random can crusher is the best fighter ever while those people are shitting on Gsp for having tough fights with elite fighters.

I agree with alot of what you are saying but Vera just seems to not have that "throw caution to the wind" attitude that a Hardy or Brown has. I agree that there has been a big step up in competition but he is just way too gun shy, its like he doesnt even try to inflict damage.

TheSaver - He lost some of his skills during the year long lay off.
???????????????????????????????

JoelN -  to me it looks lik ehe is trying to be too technical and waiting for the perfect opportunity to throw insert strike/takedown/submission of your choice here .

JoeIn, that's exactly how I see the problem.  Vera probably trained his ass off for the fight.  Skills are probably as crisp as ever.  Doesn't mean shit if you don't throw shit. 

I'm sure he will announce he feels like a brand new fighter and is ready to go on a tear before his next loss again.. lost interest a while ago. Real shame.

key word is had.

we were there. I thought he lost /

Agreed, I call it the baroni announcement (this time I'm really back) Phone Post

Koga -  Agreed, I call it the baroni announcement (this time I'm really back) Phone Post

Baroni is gonna be really back for 2012

Quadbeak -  Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard? Phone Post
Funnily enough, Team Lloyd Irvin has shirts that say that. Sucks that Vera wasn't able to get it through his head.