Bravo's "Disrespect" to Gracies

When I was watching Bravo address the crowds after the match, and he gave praise to Carlos Gracie Sr., I wondered how the Metamoris promoters (from Helio's side of the family) would feel about that. The smile left Royler's face and then he said something that didn't look friendly to Bravo. Was the supposed "disrespect" because Bravo praised Carlos Sr. instead of Helio? Maybe I'm missing the point, but I can't see how anything else he did could have been described as disrespectful.

I think most of it had to do with Royce's slide into delusion than actual perceived insult. Of course there is a separation between the Carlos and Helio side but none of the other Gracie's were trying to berate Eddie while he was throwing up. Kron was at his 10th planet after party so I think most of the blame rests on Royce

On Bravo's podcast, he said Royler told him that they could work together as long as Eddie stops promoting weed to children.

The disrespect claims by Royce Gracie came from things that Eddie Bravo supposedly said in the past. Royce actually said that what Eddie said on the mat was "very nice".

Bravo WAS being disrespectful and he knows it. These are just the most obvious ways, that pop to mind...

1) Bravo should not have looked directly into the eyes of any Gracie in attendance. He knows better.

2) He should have kept his head bowed, when Royler was speaking... or, maybe even for a few seconds after.

3) "Gracie Gift" ever heard of it, bro..? Bravo should have had a ceremonial gift right there on the spot anytime a Gracie approached him. (I think THIS is the real reason Royce was pissed).

4) At the event, Bravo should not have spent so much time with his own family. It's sort of like a subtle way of pointing out, "Hey, I've got a family too." One should always downplay the existence of any relatives when around Gracies. 

5) Bravo wore his OWN rashguard. That was like saying a Gracie Gear rashguard isn't good enough for him. Classless move, IMO. Classless.

6) He joyously raised his hands after the culmination of  a very hard journey, excited that he had done well. Look here: This isn't the "AVON 5k Run/Walk!", OK? Keep your ungrateful hands at your sides when you share the stage with a Gracie. --Is that really so hard to remember?

7) Next time he gets on a microphone, maybe he should do like people who win Oscars: dig into his pocket and pull out a comprehensive list of  names --Gracie names-- to thank. I came up with 64 Gracies he FAILED to mention. SIXTY-FOUR!!! What, a shout-out to Rolker isn't worth his time? Unforgiveable. Period.

Shen, that is funny Phone Post 3.0

Says Who - Shen, that is funny Phone Post 3.0

when is he not? when he does a serious post i need to read it 3 times to make sure i didnt miss something funny.

if thats the worst thing eddie did,royce needs to beat up most of his cousins,none of them claim helio and he gave them their
bb

8/10 Shen. I chuckled. Phone Post 3.0

12 - 

when is he not? when he does a serious post i need to read it 3 times to make sure i didnt miss something funny.

I was thinking the same thing. Whenever Shen posts something serious, I almost have to reread it to make sure that he isn't being sarcastic. LOL.

liuk3 -
12 - 

I was thinking the same thing. Whenever Shen posts something serious, I almost have to reread it to make sure that he isn't being sarcastic. LOL.
Samsies.... Phone Post 3.0

Well, THIS time I'm serious --damn serious --jiu jitsu is my HEART!!!

--and don't you EVER question my heart!!

*FLIPS OVER COFFEE TABLE AND LEAVES THREAD*

How is it that one of the toughest families around could be so sensitive about "respect". Or are we all just reading too much into it and they don't really care as much as we think they do.

*edited for unnecessary profanity

I probably spend more time READING about Gracie drama than the Gracies spend time thinking about it.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy it but surely it's all over blown.

are all of these rules about how people should act around Gracies common knowledge, because i am ignorant to this. Other than the fact of being respectful and gracious but other than that apparently im clueless.

Yes

Something must surely have been blown out of proportion or taken out of context. I don't think there is as much controversy regarding Carlos as some make there to be, but maybe that is a generational thing.

After all, @ 17:30 or so in the Gracie Breakdown, here, Ryron mentions Eddie's comment and uses the same order... Carlos, then Helio ("along with their other brothers").

Sure, after Rorion's "pure water" comments as well as a lot of others, some cynicism and skepticism is warranted. At the same time, if the generation poised to assume control gives respect openly... if credit is given to others, then that's an important step.

People's opinions change and I am sure Eddie's perfomance had an impact. The important thing is to give space to allow for the attitudes to shift.

LinkBJJ603 - are all of these rules about how people should act around Gracies common knowledge, because i am ignorant to this. Other than the fact of being respectful and gracious but other than that apparently im clueless.

It's supposed to be common knowledge, but with the watering down of BJJ a lot of the propper etiquette for how to deal with "The Royal family of BJJ"  has been forgotten. But people like Bravo have been around long enough to know the rules. It's not brain surgery. just simple stuff like:

-You always aknowledge a Gracie with a bow if you are a man. Women can bow too, but a small curtsy is best.

-Only shake their hand if they offer it to you first, never initiate.

-Likewise, do not speak to them, unless they speak to you.

-Finish your first reply using the proper honorific "Professor Gracie" or "Maestre Gracie" --Do NOT use their first name!!!!!

-Try to avoid unpleasant or controversial issues. Just stick to the topic of how awesome they are.

and of couse, as mentioned above, small gifts are good, try not to wear non-gracie clothing around them, keep your eyes downcast and downplay any education or personal accomplishments you may have, Remember, they are not there to hear about you.

Shen,

What do you do if Queen Elizabeth II and a Gracie enter a room from opposite sides at the same time??

Could be a conundrum....

stevestevens38 - Shen,

What do you do if Queen Elizabeth II and a Gracie enter a room from opposite sides at the same time??

Could be a conundrum....

Well, that is when you employ something called the  "Imperial-Acai Protocol" --and it's NOT easy to pull off!