Bravo's Old School

Looking for some help with the sweep that the 10th planet guys call the Old School.

I have seen it on JJM's DVD but Eddie does it a little bit different since he uses the lockdown position with his legs. The problem I am having is actually getting the sweep.

Let's say I'm in half guard and it's my opponents right leg that is trapped:
I can get lockdown and stretch him out, get my underhook with my left arm (sometimes deep enough to grab his left foot) and my right hand grabbing his left hook/ankle.

Ok, so when I'm ready to go sweep, what happens with my legs? I have watched him do the sweep in slow motion on the Twister DVD but something just isn't right. Can anybody walk me through it? I know you gotta let go of the lockdown and come to your right knee, but something just doesn't feel right and I'm not able to get to my knee comfortably.

Thanks in advance.

ttt

i'm not sure if this is the "old school" since i still haven't seen the
Twister DVD, but when going for this half-guard sweep i find it
necessary to hide my head tight against his left hip before i'm able to
sit up to turn him over.

your left (top) leg can either stretch out his right (trapped) leg as you
drive, or it can swing out and post to allow you to drive.

also regarding my right hand. i'm not sure if it's better to grab his left
leg at the knee, or to grab his ankle (palm up, back of hand against the
mat). but working on it in combination often yields results.

is this the sweep you mean?

ttt

Didn't you write another thread about this on the underground forum or something? Did you get answers there? I'd like to see them and learn this great sweep! ;)

I use the old school all the time now. It failed me at the last tourny so i worked hard.

First of all, yes, hide your head at his hip, like the last post says.

The key you may be missing is to get onto your elbow (the one with the hand holding the ankle) before you go. The sweep isnt you moving into him as much as you rotating around. You'll usually stay in almost the same place.

-doug-

ttt

Sometimes when I try this move, I stretch his trapped leg out with my legs, trap the instep of his other leg with my non-underhooking arm and then when I try to roll him forwards, he doesn't roll with me, like he's supposed to.

What could I be doing wrong?

Maybe, since I don't usually try to get up on my elbow, I should try to do that and pull on his knee as well, 'cause I've seen some guys do that. JJ Machado actually shows that as a variation to this move, but he doesn't really say WHEN you should grab the knee.

Ok, I watched that video on Eddie's web site again and I think I saw how he did it. Anyway, thanks!

"Ok, so when I'm ready to go sweep, what happens with my legs? I have watched him do the sweep in slow motion on the Twister DVD but something just isn't right. Can anybody walk me through it? I know you gotta let go of the lockdown and come to your right knee, but something just doesn't feel right and I'm not able to get to my knee comfortably. "

Is it very important to "come to your right knee" when you are doing this move? And does it matter whether or not you're doing the move from the lockdown leg position, or the normal half guard leg position, like JJ Machado shows it (he actually DOESN'T seem to come to his right knee)?

I somehow have the feeling that Eddie has modified this technique (that I think is also just called "getting to your knees from the half guard") a bit so that it's next to unstoppable, or at least more workable than the "standard" way of doing it. In other words, maybe he has "improved" on this move. If that's the case, can anyone explain why this move is so good? Someone told me that it's probably the very best way to get to top from the half guard and that it's very hard to stop, if you know how to do it correctly.

I'd like to know, because this move ISN'T working very well for me :)

Ok, to save me from confusion, perhaps someone can just describe this freeking move?! :)

Hopefully his instructionals come out soon and we can all stop speculating and just learn it from him! haha

Have you seen the introduction video on his website? It has him teaching that sweep to his class and going over the details. Check that out and see if it helps. I've been meaning to watch it again and try to figure it out myself.

Yeah, I have been watching that over and over, but I'm probably missing some details.

I don't know if this helps, but I was just trying this move out and I was having the same difficulty of getting to my knees and what to do with my legs. Then I did something that I think was the key to the move: I STRETCHED out his leg with my legs AND hid my head under his left hip, before going to my knees. All I needed from there was to post on the ground with my right shoulder and the balls of my feet (both feet) and "pop" up onto my knees.

The thing was, I was always trying to pull my right knee from underneath me (some people call that move "threading the needle" - it's essentially the move you do when you stand up from your back), but my left foot was in the way, because it was posted on the ground. So I say, DON'T post just on your left foot, post on BOTH feet, after stretching them out (which stretches your opponent's leg out at the same time), and DON'T try to pull your right leg from underneath you - just keep your feet where they are (after stretching them out) and "pop" onto your knees. Immediately after you've gotten onto your knees, you may have to slide your knees forwards to get them underneath you.

Finally note that this is an appropriate move to do when he moves up and away from you. When he drives into you, it's probably better to sweep him over you or take his back, because it will be much harder to get to your knees.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, as I have no clue of what I'm saying. I'm just guessing, lol ;)

Ok, I forgot to add one detail for this "pop" to your knees move: You post on the balls of both your feet (or your toes) and your right shoulder, and then you raise your hips straight UP in the air. That should make it easy to get to your knees.

Let me know if you've tried this out and if it helps. You can simply try this out on the floor where you are right now, without a partner. That's what I did :)

ttt