Brazil Faked The Most Injuries At The World Cup

Taking a dive or faking an injury isn’t something unique to soccer. There are phantom high sticks and elbows in hockey and basketball, NFL players who fake cramps and just this week Matt Carpenter got away with pretending he was hit by a pitch. But soccer is the sport most notorious for players writhing in pain, and this year’s World Cup has done little to erase that reputation. According to one report, no team at the tournament has faked more such injuries than the home nation, Brazil.

The Wall Street Journal followed the tournament’s first 32 games and recorded, and timed, every instance of a player appearing to be injured before subsequently returning to the game (the study omitted the nine players who left the game after being injured). The count may include some players who were legitimately hurt but still capable of returning to action, but with 293 instances to work with that grey area is likely quite small. Not to mention that the WSJ report found “injuries” suffered by winning teams – in other words, those with the incentive to drain the clock – resulted in four times as much wasted time.

Through their first two games, Brazilian players have gone down 17 times before returning to play. That Brazil leads the list shouldn’t be much of a surprise for anyone watching the World Cup. The team’s players could hardly keep their feet in the tournament’s opening game against Croatia, a match in which Brazil took a late lead thanks to a controversial dive by Fred. The subsequent penalty kick was put in by phenom striker Neymar, who has long drawn plenty of ire for his acting abilities.

While Brazil has flopped the most, its players are quite resilient, spending just 3:18 rolling and writhing, which ranks right around the middle of the pack. Honduras, at a lengthy 7:40, has spent the most time appearing injured. Close behind Honduras is France, which spent 7:19 on the ground – and with five fewer instances. Players from Bosnia and Herzegovina have been the strongest on their feet, appearing to be injured only twice for a total 24 seconds through their first two games.

North American teams have been exceeding expectations at the World Cup, but the four CONCACAF teams have also appeared injury prone, all sitting among the tournament’s seven floppiest teams. Mexico and Costa Rica are ahead of the United States in terms of the number of “injuries” suffered – 15 and 13, respectively, to 12 – but they have spent much less time acting. In fact, the Yanks’ total injury time of 6:24 ranks fifth-most among World Cup teams.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2014/06/25/brazil-has-faked-the-most-injuries-at-the-2014-world-cup/

Cool info, thanks for posting. VU. Phone Post 3.0

I'm not ashamed to admit I am firmly in the camp of those that just can't take this sport serious with all the diving and fake injuries.

I fully appreciate the skill of the game, I don't find it boring (at least not at the World Cup level) and the players are enormously dedicated and talented. But seeing a grown man roll on the ground like he got shot after an opponent's fingers grazed his shoulder is just too much.

Call me when they implement yellow cards, free kicks, penalties, whatever for obvious dives and faking injuries and I'll tune in. (Though clearly considering the sport's popularity they are in no rush to change anything)

kevsh - I'm not ashamed to admit I am firmly in the camp of those that just can't take this sport serious with all the diving and fake injuries.

I fully appreciate the skill of the game, I don't find it boring (at least not at the World Cup level) and the players are enormously dedicated and talented. But seeing a grown man roll on the ground like he got shot after an opponent's fingers grazed his shoulder is just too much.

Call me when they implement yellow cards, free kicks, penalties, whatever for obvious dives and faking injuries and I'll tune in. (Though clearly considering the sport's popularity they are in no rush to change anything)
Sadly it will never happen as they only use 1 ref and refuse to use video replay.
Hell just look at times where the ball goes over the goal line but gets flicked back out and its not called a goal because no ref saw it pass, 50 cameras did but ref decision stands. Phone Post 3.0

kevsh - I'm not ashamed to admit I am firmly in the camp of those that just can't take this sport serious with all the diving and fake injuries.

You can be yellow carded for diving but the refs almost never actually give it. I don't think a single "simulation" yellow card has been handed out in this World Cup. Some of the stalling by teams in the lead has been egregious, too.

It really takes away from an otherwise great game.

al neri - And to be fair it's not just soccer. Basketball (lebron, wade, bethea, flop city, etc) hockey (keler,Marchand, subban, etc) football you have guys either diving or simulating throwing the flag on nearly every play. Phone Post 3.0

Don't ever compare hockey to soccer again.

When a soccer player breaks his jaw, or has a heart attack on the fucking bench, and begs to go out an play, then you can compare the two.

soccer has guys with perfectly gelled hair rolling on the ground because a couple of hairs got knocked out of plce.

Yeah this shit about ruined soccer for me as well. Seems like basketball is trying to catch up. LOL imagine if soccer players played rugby.

PatK - 
al neri - And to be fair it's not just soccer. Basketball (lebron, wade, bethea, flop city, etc) hockey (keler,Marchand, subban, etc) football you have guys either diving or simulating throwing the flag on nearly every play. Phone Post 3.0

When a soccer player breaks his jaw, or has a heart attack on the fucking bench, and begs to go out an play, then you can compare the two.

soccer has guys with perfectly gelled hair rolling on the ground because a couple of hairs got knocked out of plce.

Absolutely.

Plus, there is a HUGE difference between a hockey player over-acting on a trip and a football player rolling on the pitch in apparent agony when he was barely touched. It's embarrassed watching either, but they are light years apart

Secondly, I can't speak for basketball or American football, but I agree that while diving has increased over the years at the NHL level when I grew up if a kid on the team took a dive his own teammates would chew him out for it and the coach would bench him. Just a different culture I guess.

I'm surprised RObben from Netherlands doesn't hold the record for most floppy performance.  He's gettting worse and worse every game.  

kevsh -
PatK - 

Absolutely.

Plus, there is a HUGE difference between a hockey player over-acting on a trip and a football player rolling on the pitch in apparent agony when he was barely touched. It's embarrassed watching either, but they are light years apart

Secondly, I can't speak for basketball or American football, but I agree that while diving has increased over the years at the NHL level when I grew up if a kid on the team took a dive his own teammates would chew him out for it and the coach would bench him. Just a different culture I guess.

I believes the nhl is having talks about the diving this playoffs and is going to try to be more rough on the penalties for it. Which I totally agree. The goal line replay is a huge advancement for the World Cup and they should keep going. There should be video reviews which can add to extra time and the technology now should take away from the game to much. I know how FIFA hates to stop the game but it needs to be done because you can't give away penalty shots at extra time in World Cup matches when it's a blatant dive. The other issue is refs are forced to retire at 40 for World Cup games which seems like a good payday for refs who get bought out , a retirement fund in a sense. They need to be able to make these matches more fair somehow that's for sure. Phone Post 3.0