Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Jiu-Jitsu in Brazil.

I would assume (maybe I'm wrong) that what we call Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu here in the States is/was simply referred to as Jiu-Jitsu in Brazil. If that's the case then how, if at all, is/was it differentiated from other forms of Jiu-Jitsu that are practiced in Brazil, particularly those with a big Japanese influence? And lastly, would it be wrong for an American who trains one of those other Jiu-Jitsu styles in Brazil to say they train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

It's called Brasílian Jiu Jitsu there 

Rorion said it was just called Jiu-Jitsu there, sometimes Gracie JJ. Pretty sure almost all others merged into Kodokan Judo. I'm sure their are smaller fringe styles that stayed independent. Like in USA before BJJ arrived you had: Danzan, Budoshin, Yoshitsune, Samurai, Small Circle, Miyama Ryu, Sanuces, Vee ArnisJitsu, etc, etc to name a few.

What do they call a Brazilian Steakhouse?

I wonder what they call the Quarter Pounder there?

shen - I wonder what they call the Quarter Pounder there?

Too funny. 

This is Jose Higino who is a BJJ Redbelt from the Fadda lineage. You can see in this video he still teaches a more traditional form of jiu-jitsu. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwMS_cXQl1A&t=12s

Aaron Lapointe - 

This is Jose Higino who is a BJJ Redbelt from the Fadda lineage. You can see in this video he still teaches a more traditional form of jiu-jitsu. 

Much more striking and almost Judo like with the kata looking training. Plus wearing the red & white belt for 9 th degree. Both Judo & BJJ use solid red. I ofter wonder how different Jorge, Gastao Jr, Pedro Hemeterio JJ looks since they stopped training with Helio & Carlos in the late 1940’s, early 1950’'s being so far in Sao Paulo.

graciesrule - Rorion said it was just called Jiu-Jitsu there, sometimes Gracie JJ. Pretty sure almost all others merged into Kodokan Judo. I'm sure their are smaller fringe styles that stayed independent. Like in USA before BJJ arrived you had: Danzan, Budoshin, Yoshitsune, Samurai, Small Circle, Miyama Ryu, Sanuces, Vee ArnisJitsu, etc, etc to name a few.

Kind of like a Mexican standoff is just a standoff in Mexico. 

what about freedom fries?

graciesrule -
Aaron Lapointe - 

Much more striking and almost Judo like with the kata looking training. Plus wearing the red & white belt for 9 th degree. Both Judo & BJJ use solid red. I ofter wonder how different Jorge, Gastao Jr, Pedro Hemeterio JJ looks since they stopped training with Helio & Carlos in the late 1940’s, early 1950’'s being so far in Sao Paulo.

https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/jose-higino

In the link above he is wearing a red belt.  

Quarterão com queijo

Chinese food in China is just called food. 

shen - I wonder what they call the Quarter Pounder there?

Hwat

MarsMan -

Ask and you shall receive:

LOL.

–Thank You!!

From what I understand early Jiu-Jitsu in Brazil was mostly Judo- based. Not sure how much "traditional" Jiu-jitsu lineages were in Brazil outside of Judo influenced Jiu-jitsu. I don't there would have been any confusion on what Jiu-jitsu in Brazil was as most who had heard of it probably only saw grappling-based JJ. TKD was more popular (and I think still is) as well as Karate in Brazil than BJJ was. But maybe this has changed now.

Real with Cheese

HotSteppa - From what I understand early Jiu-Jitsu in Brazil was mostly Judo- based. Not sure how much "traditional" Jiu-jitsu lineages were in Brazil outside of Judo influenced Jiu-jitsu. I don't there would have been any confusion on what Jiu-jitsu in Brazil was as most who had heard of it probably only saw grappling-based JJ. TKD was more popular (and I think still is) as well as Karate in Brazil than BJJ was. But maybe this has changed now.

Judo is bigger in Brazil than JJ. Brazil has always been a major power in Judo along with Russia and France. Of course Japan is king.

MarsMan - 
Aaron Lapointe - I would assume (maybe I'm wrong) that what we call Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu here in the States is/was simply referred to as Jiu-Jitsu in Brazil.

You are not wrong at all.

If that's the case then how, if at all, is/was it differentiated from other forms of Jiu-Jitsu that are practiced in Brazil, particularly those with a big Japanese influence?

No one knows or cares about the other forms, and I am no being pedantic or arrogant, they were just overshadowed to the point of being a curiosity.

Thanks for the insight MarsMan.

American football is just called football in the U.S.