Breaking Posture in Closed Guard

I'm looking for suggestions on how best to break someone's posture when controlling them in closed guard. Oftentimes "climbing" their lapel with both hands doesn't work unless it's against a smaller opponent. Today someone showed me how they use a Muay Thai-like clinch to control their opponent's head, then push it to one side before setting up an attack. That seemed to work.

Any other tips would be appreciated! Phone Post 3.0

Squeeze your knees together and pull your heels toward their butt, then use your legs to pull them over toward you. The collar is secondary. JMHO. Phone Post 3.0

Are you laying flat on your back and trying to pull them down? If so this is a common problem with beginners. Get your butt off the mat, go to them. Look for underhooks and over hooks. Phone Post 3.0

MTH - Squeeze your knees together and pull your heels toward their butt, then use your legs to pull them over toward you. The collar is secondary. JMHO. Phone Post 3.0
Also solid advice. Phone Post 3.0

MTH - Squeeze your knees together and pull your heels toward their butt, then use your legs to pull them over toward you. The collar is secondary. JMHO. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks, I will try this tomorrow... Good advice Phone Post 3.0

GrendelX - Are you laying flat on your back and trying to pull them down? If so this is a common problem with beginners. Get your butt off the mat, go to them. Look for underhooks and over hooks. Phone Post 3.0
Also good advice, thank you Phone Post 3.0

Here's another idea that's very effective, yet simple and so overlooked.

Hywel Teague -
MTH - Squeeze your knees together and pull your heels toward their butt, then use your legs to pull them over toward you. The collar is secondary. JMHO. Phone Post 3.0

This x10000.

Forget the guy's name but a Rickson BB posted a video of this exact thing a while back and it is MONEY
Yep--Jack Taufer. He a Liam Reskenov (sp?) the Australian BB have similar vids on it.

They also posted related vids on RETAINING posture while in guard.

Both approaches have completely changed my closed guard game. Phone Post 3.0

Meatgrinder -

Here's another idea that's very effective, yet simple and so overlooked.

Voted up Meatgrinder... thanks for the video... Phone Post 3.0

in

I bought the Shaun Williams app. Part one is awesome. Goes through lots of ways to break posture by getting the over hook and creating angle. I use this a ton. Phone Post 3.0

Timing is a major issue with the closed guard that often isn't spoken of. One of the best ways to break someone's posture is to wait until they attempt to set up a guard break, or stand. There's a split second that they commit their weight forward. It greatly reduces the effort and makes for an almost perfect posture break a majority of the time.

MTH -
Hywel Teague -
MTH - Squeeze your knees together and pull your heels toward their butt, then use your legs to pull them over toward you. The collar is secondary. JMHO. Phone Post 3.0

This x10000.

Forget the guy's name but a Rickson BB posted a video of this exact thing a while back and it is MONEY
Yep--Jack Taufer. He a Liam Reskenov (sp?) the Australian BB have similar vids on it.

Nice! Phone Post 3.0

Jack Taufer -
MTH -
Hywel Teague -

This x10000.

Nice! Phone Post 3.0
It's a lesson I literally use almost every mat session, so thanks for it! :) Phone Post 3.0

Aside from timing, angles are a big part of breaking posture. I think people often forget to use the legs, and then when they use them, it's in only one direction. Pull AND push with your legs. And pull at angles, not just straight down all the time. There are so many different ways and directions you can use your legs to rock someone's base and posture. Once you've figured all that out, the timing comes into play. Phone Post 3.0

Jack Taufer -
MTH -
Hywel Teague -

This x10000.

Nice! Phone Post 3.0
Jack - would you be willing to post a link to the video or provide information on where it can be purchased? Thanks in advance Phone Post 3.0

Just found this Jack Taufer video on breaking posture and it's awesome. Can't wait to start the journey to figuring this out tonight.

http://youtu.be/l4J5J2xfJNI Phone Post 3.0

juanderlei - Just found this Jack Taufer video on breaking posture and it's awesome. Can't wait to start the journey to figuring this out tonight.

That's the one. 

juanderlei - Just found this Jack Taufer video on breaking posture and it's awesome. Can't wait to start the journey to figuring this out tonight.

Hit me up on this thread if you can't figure it out from the video. I have been getting better at teaching it lately. There is one that pedro sauer does that's a slight variation. And henry akins has one but if the guy gets one let up. Phone Post 3.0

Jack Taufer -
juanderlei - Just found this Jack Taufer video on breaking posture and it's awesome. Can't wait to start the journey to figuring this out tonight.

Hit me up on this thread if you can't figure it out from the video. I have been getting better at teaching it lately. There is one that pedro sauer does that's a slight variation. And henry akins has one but if the guy gets one let up. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks Jack!

If you don't want to post it that's cool, but do you have an email address I could reach you at? Would love to try to set something up with you in the future to drill this in person. Phone Post 3.0