BRIAN EBERSOLE'S GYM FIREBOMBED IN AUSTRALIA

Cage fighter fears for safety after Molotov attack

2nd March 2009, 12:00 WST

The manager of a Northbridge gym firebombed overnight, star cage fighter Brian Ebersole, says he believes organised crime is out of control in Perth and he fears for his safety.

The Fitness N Fight centre was damaged by fire overnight after Molotov cocktails were lobbed into the ground floor apartment of a building housing the gym and martial arts centre.

Mr Ebersole who is currently training for a major cage fight later this month described Perth as a “wild west town” where bikie groups ruled and the fight culture was dominated by organised crime.

He said he had been sleeping on the couch damaged by the firebomb the night before the Molotov attack and now feared for his own safety.

“There is a criminal element in this town and I don’t get how it is allowed to keep happening,” Mr Ebersole told thewest.com.au.

The 77kg wrestler said he was scared of Perth’s apparent lawlessness and was concerned that this morning’s firebombing was a deliberate act by people upset at the threat to their businesses posed by the forthcoming cage fight and the success of his Northbridge gym, which trains 100 fighters.

Mr Ebersole and kick boxer Shannon Forrester are scheduled to take part in a cage fight at Challenge Stadium on March 14.

Mr Ebersole said he now did not have anywhere to train as a result of the attack.

Arson squad detectives are investigating the firebombing of the building in Welland Street and have found two unexploded Molotov cocktails on the premises.

Police spokesman Sgt Graham Clifford said “all options were open” in the investigation into the reasons behind the firebombing.

The event follows a similar incident in January that left a damage bill of $100,000 to the Kronk Gym in Maylands. That firebombing led to nightclub owner John Masel ordering 24-hour security at the Gold bar and Red Sea nightclub - two of his prized Subiaco businesses.

Mr Masel said at the time that he believed the firebombing of the Kronk, a gym owned by two of his managers, was part of a confrontation involving Perth’s underworld.

Sergeant Clifford said a number of people were seen outside the gym in Wellman Street in the early hours of this morning.

“A number of devices appear to have been thrown into the apartment on the ground floor, a couple failed and one went off,” Sgt Clifford said.

The fire, which broke out at 12.30am, took 20 minutes to extinguish.

An estimated $50,000 damage was caused to the ground floor residential apartment.

“We can’t say at this stage whether the Molotov cocktails were meant for the gym or the apartment. Nothing jumps out at this stage,” Sgt Clifford said.

PERTH
JANE HAMMOND

Just some lads having a bit of fun, nothing to worry about.

The 77kg wrestler said he was scared of Perth's apparent lawlessness and was concerned that this morning's firebombing was a deliberate act by people upset at the threat to their businesses posed by the forthcoming cage fight and the success of his Northbridge gym, which trains 100 fighters.

Ooooookay.

Its been a tough few days for us here. The incident (from all accounts) is NOT related to Brian or XFC in anyway. That media piece is a total hatchet job with the journo passing their sensationalising a "cage fighting" angle on arson attacks which are old news in Perth :(

I am shocked at that picture of Brian with the wraps he must be 200lb++

He is now walking at 170lb, looks great and will fight at 160lb on the event, testing the waters for 155 where we hope he can find future opportunities at a higher level.

Brian and I slept directly under the window the gasoline bombs came through, had it been saturday & not sunday night we'd be ashes!

Justin

Justin

XFC - 

Brian and I slept directly under the window...!

Justin

Justin

Head to toe, i hope!

BenBJJ - 
XFC - 

Brian and I slept directly under the window...!

Justin

Justin

Head to toe, i hope!

Ah, wouldn't their genitals still be lined up ?

ewww !!

he was catching!

Justin

Let's go with.... "they don't want you there, you fear for your safety...get the fuck out" for $100.00 Alex

Crikey!