Brian Johnston at Universal Vale Tudo 5 (1997)

Good one Pro Ice

thanks again

^521!!!

You're welcome Mega

vtfu

ttt

For later, Pro Ice hooking it up as usual

Thanks.  Do you have the whole Universal Vale Tudo 5?

Yeah Diesel, will post soon

I always thought Brian Johnston was underrated. He was tagging Don Frye decently in their fight and was a physical beast. Good hands, good kickboxing, good judo, OK wrestling. Very well rounded.

I stood next to him and his delts were each as big as my fucken head. It was intimidating. It was in his peak roid days.

Here's another Johnston fight

Brian Johnston  vs  Dennis Reed  -  Extreme Challenge 3  (2/15/97)

iPhone:

Sub Phone Post

It still bottles my mind (like when your mind is in a bottle) that with all of the mismatches, on top of zero regulation, nobody died in the the first decade of MMA.

There was an early death from an American in Russia but he was told not to fight so that was on him. Phone Post

Here are some details:

31-year-old Douglas Dedge was an American mixed martial artist who was the first known American competitor to be fatally injured in an MMA fight and the first death in the modern era of MMA. On March 16, 1998 Dedge competed at an unsanctioned "World Super Challenge" event in Kiev, Ukraine. After tapping out to strikes Dedge stood and almost immediately collapsed back to the mat. Dedge was then taken to the Kiev Institute of Surgery where he died two days later on March 18 of what the chief emergency room doctor termed "severe brain injuries".

Dedge was reported to have passed out during a training session leading up to the bout and it is now widely believed (though never officially confirmed) that Dedge had a preexisting medical condition.[14][15] Phone Post

"I always thought Brian Johnston was underrated. He was tagging Don Frye decently in their fight and was a physical beast. Good hands, good kickboxing, good judo, OK wrestling. Very well rounded."

I totally agree. I thought that Brian Johnston had the potential to do a lot better than he did. He left MMA for New Japan Pro Wrestling with Don Frye, but he was still training MMA and was set to make a comeback to MMA before he had the heart attack.

I met him in person before he had the heart attack, and then again after he had the heart attack, and man was it sad to see how much he declined. Prior to the heart attack, he was a tough looking dude. He was 6'4" and athletic and strong looking. The heart attack obviously didn't take his height away, but he looked a lot weaker and walked with a limp. It was a damn shame to see a guy who should have still been in his physical prime get struck down like that.

For later Phone Post