brock article

Going after contact and a contract

By Dustin Monke, The Forum
Published Monday, October 03, 2005

Brock Larson is prepared for the fight of his life.

An undefeated mixed martial arts fighter from Brainerd, Minn., Larson is one victory away from a possible deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championships.

The 185-pound middleweight faces Jon Fitch on the undercard of Ultimate Fight Night 2, a two-hour event presented by UFC in Las Vegas.

"It's going to be a war early," Larson said. "Then I'm going to end up breaking him."

The fight has chance at airing on SpikeTV at 8 tonight. Larson's fight is one of three undercard matches the UFC can choose to air before four main-event fights.

Even if Larson's fight doesn't air tonight, UFC officials have promised Larson it will air on a highlight show.

However, the television coverage doesn't matter much to Larson.

"I'm hoping to win this fight and get a contract," Larson said. "That's the plan, financially and competitively."

If Larson wins, there is a strong possibility he could ink a one-year, three-fight deal worth nearly $100,000.

It's nearly unbelievable for the 28-year-old construction worker and former Minnesota state wrestling runner-up.

"When I first started doing it, I never realistically thought it would happen," Larson said of having an opportunity to join the UFC. "Then I got good and it became more realistic."

Larson is a familiar face to local mixed martial arts fans, having appeared in several local shows the past year.

His most memorable fight may have been a first-round submission victory over Nick Beasley last April at the Dakota Fighting Championships at the Fargo Civic Center.

Larson is 16-0 in professional mixed martial arts fights. All but one of his wins have come by submission or TKO.

If Larson wins tonight and gets another shot with the UFC, it could set up a rather large lifestyle change.

"He has the opportunity to not have to worry about work and just fight," said Klint Klass, one of Larson's trainers. "There's no doubt he can be one of the best fighters at 185 (pounds) in the world."

Readers can reach Forum reporter Dustin Monke at (701) 241-5549

HELL YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Cagefighter