Broken Jaw—will i ever fight again?

Hi guys,

This is my very first post so sorry in advance if im not following the correct procedure of how/where to post etc.

So basically i got sucker punched with a pair of brass knuckles in a bar fight almost 4 years ago and shattered my jaw. I split my chin and broke it at the hinge on the right side of my face. I had to get surgery to realign the split in my chin and now i have a sort of bracket thing holding it all in place under my gums.

I healed up pretty well after a couple months. I was able to eat whatever and open my jaw almost as wide as before; however, i could just feel it was NOT the same jaw.

I avoided sparring for YEARS hoping that it would eventually heal back to almost as strong as before, and now that ive started up again, I can tell that is definitely not the case.

Anytime i take even a weak hook right on the button, im pretty much fucked—it feels like my jaw has literally been disaligned, theres a bubble of pain in the hinge, and im unable to allign or clench my teeth. This has happened a couple times and thankfully after 2 weeks or so it goes away mostly (although every shot ive taken to the jaw thats caused this has been veery weak).

SO HERES THE QUESTIONS:

Lots of boxers, and probably lots of you guys on the UG have broken their jaws at the hinge. How do boxers come back from this??

What course of action could i take to address this problem?
I have a mouthguard with a weight at the end of a string and thats pretty much all i use to strengthen my jaw atm.

Any other insight/advice you guys can give me..?
The thought of never fighting again is fucking chapped, and realistically, at some point in my life im going to have to defend myself again on the street and this is a serious worry for me.

Thank you so much for your time,
any help is GREATLY appreciated

I know this isn't the advice you wanna hear but if it was me I'd find another hobby/ and or line of work.  As for defending yourself on the street lots of people go their entire lives without ever getting in a street fight.  So that shouldn't be that big of an issue.  If it is, that's why we have concealed carry laws.

*wrong forum

i would strongly avoid ever gettig punched in the face again. from your description it's simply not strong enough

How old were you when you first broke it? Phone Post 3.0

If you can throw a punch and have situational awareness you can defend yourself.

I would definitely give up the sparring before you do yourself more damage. The risks far outweigh the benefits

Ricky Burns broke his jaw in a world title fight back in September.

He is planning on fighting again in February.

I think he is very wrong to do come back so early.

Technofiend - Ricky Burns broke his jaw in a world title fight back in September.

He is planning on fighting again in February.

I think he is very wrong to do come back so early.

UFC vet Mark Weir broke his student/my mates jaw in two parts in training with a knee when he was trying to take him down by,it was a training accident ,my mate was back sparring in three months and fought in another two .
I think its all down to the type of break that it is ,some say with certain breaks it can grow back stronger , but i know weather thats true or not , thankfully touch wood worst i have ever had from boxing is a a flatfish nose and chipped teeth .

Ricky was a nice clean break if I remember the xray.

That said, Badr Hari had his jaw completely shattered by Leko. He came back a monster but he was very young when he got smashed.

If it's been four years and it's still an issue in sparring, im not sure how much any strengthening exercises will help. 100% worth a try though. Phone Post 3.0

Frames4Life - How old were you when you first broke it? Phone Post 3.0

I was 20 at the time, im almost 24 now.

Thanks all of you for the responses.
Its obviously disheartening reading alot of them but i was expecting as much..

I just dont understand how so many pros can suffer such an injury and can continue fighting...

Thanks all of you for the responses.

I just dont understand how so many pros can suffer such an injury and can continue fighting...

theboythatflew - Thanks all of you for the responses.

Don't count your self out. I'd certainly check your doctors opinion, make sure ur calcium intake is high likely, the damage by the sounds of isnt in the break but in the muscle and joínt.
Maybe jaw strengthening? Something like how 50 cent rehearsed how to speak by gnawing on teething rings and stuff if that nature. As well as neck strengthening? Phone Post 3.0

Now that ur shattered bits are healed.sybe they can re break it and align it properly. Or very least clean it up. My dad shattered his jaw riding an old British triumph. They wired it back the best they could when he was 19. He always had problems. But when he was 45 he had the jaw surgically broken and reset. Now it's perfect. Phone Post

What does your Dr/Surgeon say?