Broken toes - What to do?

I broke at least one of my toes last night during training and would like to continue training despite. I know your supposed to tape the broken toe to the next good one but is there anything else I can do to make it heal quicker? or even cause less of a problem during training?

Sorry for the newbie question...

If there's a fracture in a bone, there's nothing you can do to speed up ossification.
Just take it easy for 4-6 weeks, tape it properly and you'll be alright. Hit the weights, swim etc.

Sagiv Lapkin -  Time away from training.

I shouldn't train? Is there anything I can do if I want to keep training. If its just going to hurt no matter what, I will just suck it up and train. I just didn't know if there were any remedies that people who train use to help with it. It has to be pretty common.

you cant do shit,get some rest.you dont want it to become 1 of those nagging injuries that stays with you.

Most likely all they'll do is tape your broken toe to the one next to and give you a boot.

If it doesn't hurt to train then I say train.  If it hurts then stop.

Good newb answer, eh?

NorthFromHere - If there's a fracture in a bone, there's nothing you can do to speed up ossification.

Just take it easy for 4-6 weeks, tape it properly and you'll be alright. Hit the weights, swim etc.

Its a complete break bone seperated from bone. It's not through the skin though. 

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

wrestling boots

/end thread

Dave

If you don't mind me asking where do you train at?

you can train on it normal. just don't expect it to get better. i've had two on my right, and my left big toe out of whack for a couple months now.

GaryG - Dave

West Land Combat Sports and Fitness.

Jeremy Ward

Quincy Rice

David Garcia

James B.(Don't want to butcher his last name)

They are fucking awesome! They really help you out and for me I need to be told things like an idiot since I don't understand alot of it the first time. The guys that train there are really helpful too!

If your in the area you should come check it out.

I think they say broken bones usually take about 6 weeks to heal.

Like almost everyone on here said, you should let it heal properly. Even if it heals properly with rest, it could still bother the hell out of you when you get old.

The joint where my big toe connects to my foot is all swollen and retarded looking from too much abuse. It gets tweaked doing fairly normal stuff now.

Like the guy who is 30 said, you begin to feel every dint and ding when you're older. I'm 50 and didn't start feeling it too bad until mid-40's.

You should stick to cardio, chin-ups and lifting weights for awhile.

David@AccutestMi - 
GaryG - Dave

West Land Combat Sports and Fitness.

Jeremy Ward
Quincy Rice
David Garcia
James B.(Don't want to butcher his last name)

They are fucking awesome! They really help you out and for me I need to be told things like an idiot since I don't understand alot of it the first time. The guys that train there are really helpful too!

If your in the area you should come check it out.

Appreciate it. I live about 4 1/2 hours away but occasionally am in the area. I can guarantee if I ever can get down there you'll all feel much better about your skills and abilities.

dave, if you don't mind, how do you know your toe is broken?

the reason i ask, is did you get an xray? if its a small phalangeal fracture, yes, they should be taped together. if the fracture is your big toe, there can be problems. your balance depends on that toe working properly. if that's the one that's injured, get it looked at. the other problem arises when the bones farther up the foot, called the tarsals and metatarsals are also fractured. fractures to these bones can affect your arch height, which can cause future problems with plantar fascitis, etc. if you have ANY trouble bearing weight, or bruising farther up the foot, or any bruising that travels to the bottom of your foot, you need an xray.

threads like these make me cringe. people only think about the end result of a visit to the e.r.--"they only taped my toes together". a whole lot of thought goes into the morbidity of an injury-how this injury will heal and how it will affect the rest of your life. if it's just your little toe, it's probably not broken no matter how much it hurts and is bruised. it's pretty rare a little toe is broken. if it's one of the other one, it's worth getting looked at.

ashleigh11 - dave, if you don't mind, how do you know your toe is broken?

the reason i ask, is did you get an xray? if its a small phalangeal fracture, yes, they should be taped together. if the fracture is your big toe, there can be problems. your balance depends on that toe working properly. if that's the one that's injured, get it looked at. the other problem arises when the bones farther up the foot, called the tarsals and metatarsals are also fractured. fractures to these bones can affect your arch height, which can cause future problems with plantar fascitis, etc. if you have ANY trouble bearing weight, or bruising farther up the foot, or any bruising that travels to the bottom of your foot, you need an xray.

threads like these make me cringe. people only think about the end result of a visit to the e.r.--"they only taped my toes together". a whole lot of thought goes into the morbidity of an injury-how this injury will heal and how it will affect the rest of your life. if it's just your little toe, it's probably not broken no matter how much it hurts and is bruised. it's pretty rare a little toe is broken. if it's one of the other one, it's worth getting looked at.

What's your thoughts on amputation?

Actually, thats a great post Ashleigh.

if it keeps you from finishing the fight, amputate it.

ashleigh11 - if it keeps you from finishing the fight, amputate it.

yep

Jorx - wrestling boots

/end thread
Jorx speaks truth. 

I've had broken toes, trained anyway, and they took forever to heal.  They were extremely painful for a long time.  Take time off.

have to agree with time off... I broke my left big toe rolling and tried to continue taping it up and it was a big mistake... not only didn't it heal, but 2 years later I still can not bend it without pain...