Broncos Talk

did the al wilson deal go through finely? they had it all in place sunday and someone balked at the last minute.

Gibbs is gone. Clinton Portis and Mike Anderson each have a foot out the door.

Normally, I wouldn't have a problem getting rid of a back like Portis. Sure he appears great, but so did Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, and Mike Anderson. Four great running backs that weren't expected to do anything that do that well means we have a great offensive line, IMO. It tells me you could just about put anyone back there and have them earn 1,000+ yards.

The reason I say "normally" is that they will be doing it without Alex Gibbs now. I realize Rick Dennison has officially been the offensive line coach for a year (two?) now, but I have to believe they were good because of Gibbs, not Dennison.

This team is going downhill fast.

I watched a little bit of the Pro Bowl pre-game show, and Steve Young picked Denver to win it all next year, saying that they would sign Terrell Owens. I'd rather lose every game than have that asshole on the team.

Anyone heard talks of Denver signing him, outside of Young's comments?

As a 49er's fan, trust me u dont want that guy...Dont get me wrong, he will make some plays..But, he will also drop passes, will not practice, and will destroy any team chemistry if things ( i mean football) doesnt
goes his way..I cant believe i defended this guy for so many years..He is also seeking a signing bonus of 13-18 million..

Teams that im aware of are the Ravens,Eagles, and Falcons.

"It tells me you could just about put anyone back there and have them earn 1,000+ yards."

I think it's very wrong to think you can put about anybody back there and be fine. 1000 yards is the idea of success? Trust me Q. Griffin won't be busting loose all the time like Portis does, he's why the Bronco's are dangerous and they're thinking about trading him. Crazy.

"1000 yards is the idea of success?"Trying to think on their behalf...It depends on your system. If all you have is a running game, then no. 1,000 yards is very little in the success area. If you have a 1,000 yard back making close to the league minimum, which allows you to sign other players to compliment him, then maybe 1,000 yards is a success.If this is what they're thinking, I can't say that I blame them. Why pay a gazillion dollars for a top-3 back when you can pay next-to-nothing for a top 6 back, and sign another big-name player?With that said, I don't think it will work. Without Alex Gibbs, I don't think just anybody can be a 1,000+ yard rusher.

BTW, while I don't necessarily think this is a good trade for the Broncos to make, I do think they will get the better of the deal.

Baily plays a mano-e-mano position. He'll be just as good here as he was in DC. Portis, on the other hand, might not even gain 1,000 yards without Denver's offensive line.

shit, Redskins offensive line should have been the best in football last year. SS blocking schemes suck so bad that he made them look terrible. Watch for Joe Bugal to make them amazing. Portis could have 2000+ this year. Of course then he will get busted for selling coke or something.

I see them having the exact opposite of Denver's offensive line: Good pass blocking, but poor run blocking.

"Portis, on the other hand, might not even gain 1,000 yards without Denver's offensive line."

I think he would on any team in the NFL if he stayed healthy. Portis has breakaway speed and is a big threat IMO.

I know. So do Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, and Mike Anderson. Until I actually see one of Denver's backs have a similar season with another team, I'm going to have a hard time buying into the hype.

Scoot, its actually the opposite. samules, dockery, and jansen are perfect for run blocking. dockery and samules pulling from left to right in the counter trey will be orgasmic to watch ;) SS just was an idiot when it came to blocking schemes.

"I know. So do Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, and Mike Anderson. Until I actually see one of Denver's backs have a similar season with another team, I'm going to have a hard time buying into the hype."

Should Portis stay healthy, he will put up insane numbers. You never got to see TD showcase anything for another team due to the injuries....same can be said for Olandis Gary.

Gary was an average back who was ran 275 times en route to barely crossing the 1000 yard mark, I highly doubt he'll put up good numbers from now on due to him being an average back BEFORE he tore his ACL.

Mike Anderson probably won't put up big numbers for another team, due to him not having a sufficient number of carries in three years, and due to the fact that he's on the wrong side of 30. Anderson would only function well as a full/change of pace back, he's lost a step due to "inactivity".
------------------------------------------------

Do you really think since Alex Gibbs is leaving that Shanahan and Dennison are going to forget how to coach? That Nalen, Neil, Lepis, Salaam, and Hamilton are going to forget how to block? Come on now?

Denver is going 6-10 next year.

"Do you really think since Alex Gibbs is leaving that Shanahan and Dennison are going to forget how to coach?"Rick Dennison never did know how to coach. He was the worst special teams coach Denver has ever had. I believe he was riding Gibbs' success last year. As for Shannahan, I don't know how involved in the offensive line he has been."That Nalen, Neil, Lepis, Salaam, and Hamilton are going to forget how to block?"I certainly hope not, but we'll see. I think they'll probably do okay, based on what they've learned the past few years. But as new guys cycle in, they won't be nearly as good as a Gibbs-coached O-line.It's all speculation right now. We'll see how things go. Obviously I'm hoping for the best.

"He was the worst special teams coach Denver has ever had."

probably just saying that cuz Dante rolled and then smoked Denvers special teams last year.

Nice try, but Dante wasn't in the league when Rick was Dennison's special teams coach.

"In his previous role, the play of Dennison's special teams units was instrumental in the Broncos success, highlighted by Denver's back-to-back World Championships in 1997 and '98. Dennison's coverage units held opponents to a tie for the deepest average drive start in the AFC in 2000 (26.1-yard line). One of Dennison's most outstanding performers, Detron Smith, was recognized in 1999 for his excellence in an often under-appreciated realm, being voted to the Pro Bowl as the special teams performer. It marked the third time in Dennison's tenure with the Broncos that he had seen one of his pupils earn a Pro Bowl invitation.

Kicker Jason Elam enjoyed the finest season of his six-year NFL career in 1998, earning his second Pro Bowl selection by setting a franchise record for PATs in a season (58 for 58) and converting 85% (23 of 27) of his field goal attempts. Elam also tied Tom Dempsey's 28-year old NFL record for longest field goal, with a 63-yarder vs. Jacksonville, Oct. 25, 1998. His career numbers continued to escalate as well, with Elam becoming the all-time leading scorer in franchise history during the 1999 season, while also establishing franchise dominance in field goals, field-goal attempts and PATs. He finished the 2000 season having converted an NFL-record 313 consecutive PATs, dating back to his rookie season.

Punter Tom Rouen consistently performed at or near the top of the league rankings under Dennison's tutelage, posting a gross punting average of more than 46 yards-per-punt for the second year in a row in 1999 to lead the NFL. His career-best 46.9-yard average in 1998 ranked second, while Dennison's kick-return unit ranked sixth in the NFL, staking the Broncos to an average drive start of their opponents' 28-yard line.

Under Dennison's guidance in 1997 the Broncos' special teams played an integral role in leading the franchise to its first World Championship. Darrien Gordon tied for the NFL lead with three touchdowns on punt returns and ranked second in the NFL in punt return average (13.6), while Elam ranked second in the AFC (4th NFL) in scoring (124) and Rouen ranked fourth in the AFC (5th NFL) in net punting average.

As a unit, Denver's kickoff and kick coverage teams ranked among the league leaders, as the Broncos recorded an average drive start of 28.6 (2nd AFC/4th NFL), while forcing their opponents to an average drive start of 24.4 (4th AFC/9th NFL). Denver also led the NFL in punt return average (13.5)."

You might be mistaking Dennison for Frank Bush or someone....Denver's special teams were great when Dennison was the the ST coach.

Wow. I guess you're right. I stand corrected. I thought I remembered seeing a lot of piss-poor punt coverage, but apparently I'm wrong.

However, I will also say that I'd bet dollars to donuts that they made Robinson's bio look impressive too, and we all know he sucked. Now the Chefs know it too.

Facts are facts.....

About Robinson....we had a lot of great players on Defense who played really well when Robinson coached...so it probably won't reflect well on him actually being a joke...but you gotta admit, KC still had a lot of holes in terms of player personnel.