Brother tore his acl. Need advice.

scrapdo -

I've had ACL reconstruction once on each knee and I'm an Nurse Practitioner with extensive trauma and ortho experience, so I'll try and answer to the best of my knowledge.

1. He probably tore his meniscus, but it could have been something else. It's very common to tear the meniscus with the ACL. It's the cartilage pad in there and obviously the ACL is the worst short-term part of this.

2. You can certainly get back, with proper PT, in 6-8 months but expect it to not feel "normal" for well over a year. I remember for, almost a year, trying to run WR routes in the back of the endzone and ending up not being able to cut sharply enough to not go out of the back by accident. So, he'll likely be back to playing but, in my experience, not nearly 100%. With that said, I would not want to go to an Ortho who doesn't have a plan agressive enough to cautiously put him on track for the shorter time frame. He should be telling him a year is on the long end of recovery and that barring rehab issues like tendonitis or infection, he can foresee it being more like 6-8 months. Doctor selection can be paramount in these cases. Did you mention his age? I'm assuming young adult here.

3. The real issue not using the crutches is further damage to the other ligaments and the meniscus. For instance, many people tear their ACL without meniscus damange visible on MRI but in the time before the sugrery have some displacemnts (knee gives out from a twist or misstep) and then the complicate not only their recovery but their long-term joint health. The meniscus damage can be a cuase of arthritis down the road so he should be using the crutches and avoiding further damage.

This advice is not intended to replace that of any of your doctors.

Thank you. This is the information I needed. And thanks for the vote downs all. Love you too. Phone Post 3.0

From surgery it took about a year for the recovery. Had terrible swelling, did ACL, MCL, Meniscus, and multiple fractures. Post surgery rehab is extremely important. And don't rush the return. Phone Post 3.0

There's some bad info in here, as well as good. I tore my ACL completely May 20, and also had meniscus damage and a grade 2 plus MCL sprain. I had a patellar graft July 20, and can't even begin to guess when I'll be 100%. I'm 39, but was in the best shape of my life when I was injured. I'm not jumping, or hops even yet. No running, nothing like it.

No damn curls or extension unless he really wants to fuck everything up. Those are terrible exercises. There's varying opinions on prehab.

He needs to accept the injury and listen to a capable surgeon. Follow the guidance of a professional and ignore anecdotes about anyone else's recovery. It's really easy to fuck up your recovery. Relax and be positive. Phone Post 3.0

Thank you for information all. It was very helpful. Phone Post 3.0

MillhouseMMA - 6-8 months for an ACL? Not everyone is Adrian Peterson. Phone Post 3.0
Or Heather Clark. Apparently she recovers from a "fully torn" ACL, and is ready to fight in 5 months. Phone Post 3.0

Yet Justine Kish who partially tore her ACL at the same time, not only couldn't fight then, still won't be recovered by the time Heather has not only recovered, but recovered AND put in a full training camp. So really her recovery was closer to 3 months. Phone Post 3.0

scrapdo - 
OnlyPirateFan - 
zebers3 -

Also, could it be that that 6-8 month time frame is for those who get surgery to repair their ACL rather than those who just let it heal naturally? And maybe it's because your brother is so young that the doctor is estimating a longer timeframe.

I've never heard of anyone letting their acl hear "naturally". I'm pretty sure surgery is a must if u want to maintain a athletic career Phone Post 3.0

Ligamnets have no blood supply, they will NEVER heal naturally.

There are full ruptures, and different degrees of partial tears.

While ligaments do not have their own blood supply, that doesn't mean they don't heal. They heal more slowly, and rely on blood supply at surrounding tissues to perform the necessary processes to complete the repair.

It's a slow process. In my humble, layman opinion your doctor is making the right decision not to cut your brother's knee if he doesn't have to.

Listen to the doctor. Make sure your brother goes through all the necessary PT, strengthens that joint and focuses his training on joint stability.

youarewhatiswrong -
scrapdo - 
OnlyPirateFan - 
zebers3 -

Also, could it be that that 6-8 month time frame is for those who get surgery to repair their ACL rather than those who just let it heal naturally? And maybe it's because your brother is so young that the doctor is estimating a longer timeframe.

I've never heard of anyone letting their acl hear "naturally". I'm pretty sure surgery is a must if u want to maintain a athletic career Phone Post 3.0

Ligamnets have no blood supply, they will NEVER heal naturally.

There are full ruptures, and different degrees of partial tears.

While ligaments do not have their own blood supply, that doesn't mean they don't heal. They heal more slowly, and rely on blood supply at surrounding tissues to perform the necessary processes to complete the repair.

It's a slow process. In my humble, layman opinion your doctor is making the right decision not to cut your brother's knee if he doesn't have to.

Listen to the doctor. Make sure your brother goes through all the necessary PT, strengthens that joint and focuses his training on joint stability.
Thank you. I know they are not letting it heal naturally because he has to have surgery. It was a full tear or the acl and the menascus(sp). Phone Post 3.0

Rice Phone Post 3.0

Tore mine on a Monday.

Got some Weider wraps and I was squatting ass to grass on Friday.

GOMAD is your answer. Phone Post 3.0