Browne's Elbows

I'd like to see him go against an elite wrestler that'd pull in rip asap instead of pressing automatically against the cage Phone Post 3.0

Creepy likes to throw them too Phone Post 3.0

Borderline illegal technique, im not a fan of those. Very questionable technique.

It's a very advantageous position for the person on the cage if you can prevent the takedown so your in perfect position to throw a variety of strikes at there temple or side of the head I've done this at least twice in my career Phone Post 3.0

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - Borderline illegal technique, im not a fan of those. Very questionable technique.
His camp seems to specialize in using techniques that others don't utilize as much as the could, like jones"s knee stomps, guidas wack footwork ect ect. Phone Post 3.0

You have to have the arm length for it. Lanky fighters have a new tdd weapon. Phone Post 3.0

If you have the correct angle with your hip on the cage any length can be damaging what's the kicker is they don't see them coming so we all know what happens when you don't see that shot coming Phone Post 3.0

goocher -

Not saying these types of elbows should be banned or anything.. As we alll know the 12-6 downward elbow is illegal. How are these elbows that Browne have been throwing any less powerful than those? They are in a sense 12-6 but just from a different angle.

So NOT 12-6.

Which shouldn't be a foul anyway. Phone Post 3.0

I remember Tito Ortiz's instructionals where he was big on getting the takedown with your head on the inside of your opponent, like against their stomach instead of the outside.

Of course, he got choked out by Guy Mezger while leaving his head on the outside.

Looked good, gives grapplers something more to worry about. I would not like to be on the receiving end of those!!!

goocher -
Kinkle - 
goocher -

Not saying these types of elbows should be banned or anything.. As we alll know the 12-6 downward elbow is illegal. How are these elbows that Browne have been throwing any less powerful than those? They are in a sense 12-6 but just from a different angle.

12-6 but from a different angle? Lol you mean not 12-6 at all??

This simply shows the flaws of the 12-6 rule, not that it should be extended to other positions.... Phone Post 3.0

Let me rephrase, they are extremely similar....So either ban them both or make the 12-6 legal.

Exactly this. Phone Post 3.0

I love these elbows. Fuck the guy going for a TD, and if we can't have knees on the ground then these elbows are a great substitute.

I will say, however, that these are very borderline and can go from legal to illegal in an instant.

For example, I think Travis KO'd Josh legally, but I think the Gonzaga elbows were bullshit. In both cases the refs deemed them legal but it's a sketchy thing.

I guess my TL;DR is: keep using them until you get called on it.

HandyDarsh - 
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - Borderline illegal technique, im not a fan of those. Very questionable technique.
His camp seems to specialize in using techniques that others don't utilize as much as the could, like jones"s knee stomps, guidas wack footwork ect ect. Phone Post 3.0

I agree I just have a hard time distinguishing the angle they come at from the angle that is illegal. I dont approve, just my opinion.

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ -
HandyDarsh - 

I agree I just have a hard time distinguishing the angle they come at from the angle that is illegal. I dont approve, just my opinion.
Agreed.

Also, what about downward elbows to the top of the head of an opponent when they are in your guard?

I have seen this technique used a million times and it never gets called for being illegal. Phone Post 3.0

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1434795/O_27Keefe.gif

Im pretty sure Jake hect (sp?) Stopped a dude using those elbows Phone Post 3.0

John McCarthy says as long as it isn't coming down from the heavens it's legal so you can use the same elbow at a different angle and be completely ok it's kind of silly but we're still in the leather helmet stage of our sport Phone Post 3.0

been saying it for a while, this will be used a lot in the future for takedown defense against the cage