Bruce Lee and fencing...

PLG: 9.25! Nice Furey Spin!

LMAO!

The thing I LOVE is when I visit these newly "rediscovered" fighting systems online, like Celtic Combat, Druid Fighting, etc. they are always JKD Concepts guys in disguise.

Unless the Celts and Druids were doing Hu Bad and Sumbrada drills way back then.

Well, I'm sure we all remember those ads in the MA mags for the "rediscovered" fighting arts of the Roman Gladiators... lol

LOL!! Bludhall I remember that viking guy!!!

LOL

I was all set to believe that there really were remote villages in Scandinavia where Viking martial arts were being passed on...I mean, it sounds so plausible.
*rolls eyes*

Woops, haven't checked this thread in a while.

TFS,

I stand corrected on any/all of those points (especially the spelling of 'ballestra'). I am still a beginner in the fencing world. I sure enjoy it, though!

Regarding my comparisons between the ballestra & burst, as well as the fleche & blast, I am thinking here of the form of generating the forward impetus.

The burst differs from traditional hopping-style kicks in that it uses the step of the front foot to start bringing the momentum of the body forward. Perhaps it would be better compared to the advance-lunge, but I am really just thinking of the use of the first foot action to generate momentum for the body to come forward strongly.

With the fleche and the blast, I'm thinking of the old blast (not the boxing blast or other newer versions) in which one ran forward while chain punching down centerline. I think of them as similar in the way that they drive they attacker forward down centerline, and their effectiveness when an opponent is off-balance or ill-prepared to deal with such an attack.

I don't mean to imply a strong technical similarity between the two; I'm thinking of them as "thematically" similar. Perhaps I mean to compare them in that they are attacks that were unusual in the unarmed martial arts, and were possibly inspired by their fencing counterparts.

Best,

~TT

excellent clip rayfloro. :D

Thanks for the compliment Blade......

If you haven't seen it......the link below shows STICK sparring.

http://www.stick-and-knife.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=ki;action=display;num=1079346733

What impressed me the most was Bolo's (Michael Jen's) improvement in just months of self practise. He really didn't have a tough sparring partners, just "girls"........LOL!!!