Bruce Lee Foundation

wow, Scott that is just insane, but along the lines of what I have been seeing and what has been really turning me off these last few years.

I agree and I believe it's one of many things that is turning A LOT of people off as well. Have you noticed seminar attendance dropping off dramatically in the past few years?

yes I have definitely noticed the seminar attendance decrease from my first in 1994 and I have noticed the prices going crazily up! In my humble opinion, you can only get away with an elitist attitude for so long even if the attitude doesn't come from you but from the people surrounding you. Sad really, when the people surrounding a teacher have such different personalities than the teacher himself.

you have to understand after bruce lee died his art really broke into 2 REAl braches besides all the chop suey karate scams there became 2 linages one of inosanto and what he has done with the art the other is with ted wong.... the blf is run behind Ted wong was he has done with the art...He has made it very effient and practical.... he hasnt explored and experienmented as much as inosanto has but it still definately jun fan jkd... its really hard to talk shit bout ted wong or the BLF after seeing how fast and powerfully that man is and hes 3x my age but i do agree with some of what you guys say... like the whole Bruce lee theme park... we dont need that and i doubt very much that bruce lee would of wanted 1 either... but ill just say this you got to understand the other point of view before you go shiting on it you never know what u are shitting until you do your research

alllrightee then...a bit off topic but, OK then...I agree about no need for the theme park but I think Scott and myself, etc. are aware of the different branches of JKD, etc...personally not a big Ted Wong fan, but anyways lets stay on topic guys :)

"but I think Scott and myself..."

AND 4 RANGES AHEM!!!

bil jees Fatbuddha

[ahem]...yes maybe 4 Range as well
counters bil jee with flying armbar

taps to Fats flying armbar, but can't get his fingers out of Fats' eye-socket

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :)

"I do see that Diana Inosanto was/is(?) on the advisory committee but I will not support them when they have no reference to anything with Mr. Inosanto or others who have evolved."

When I saw her name on the advisory list I nearly fell off my chair.

I was curious how she could join the organization after Guru Dan was trashed by them for over a decade.

There was an interview where she said that due to "miscommunication" the Bruce Lee Foundation was unaware Guru Dan was teaching OJKD material

Right.......................

I guess it is easy to miss all those hundreds of seminars, videos and magazine articles that have come out of the JKDC camp over the last decade.

A simple misunderstanding, you see.....

Word to the wise: avoid politics and such nonsense.

Only ten years ago, the name Insosanto was mud with the JFJKD crowd. Remember John Little writing an article on "JKD Concepts" and basically trashing it? Where is Little now? He ain't working for the Lees anymore.

Regarding the Bruce Lee Foundation
Where is Jerry Poteet? Gone. Lamar Davis? Gone.
Richard Bustillo? Gone. Daniel Lee? Steve Golden? Et al?

And Diana Inosanto is "in."

How long it lasts, well, time will tell.

"I agree and I believe it's one of many things that is turning A LOT of people off as well. Have you noticed seminar attendance dropping off dramatically in the past few years?"

I not sure what the reason is, but interest in the martial arts is often cyclical. Sometimes it is popular, sometimes not.

the sad thing is the theme park idea is really happening!!! that not just something i made up... at least that what ive heard anyway

KISS had an idea for a traveling theme park called "Kiss World."

What a shame it never happened!

NOT A BIG KISS FAN!!!
BEFORE MY TIME

"its really hard to talk shit bout ted wong or the BLF after seeing how fast and powerfully that man is and hes 3x my age but i do agree with some of what you guys say..."

I haven't seen much of Ted Wong myself but I have heard he is impressive. But the blf still lacks credibility especially if people who are key in the community have left. If the quote below is correct.

"Regarding the Bruce Lee Foundation Where is Jerry Poteet? Gone. Lamar Davis? Gone. Richard Bustillo? Gone. Daniel Lee? Steve Golden? Et al?"

I totally forgot the idea of all of this the when they tried the nucleus (I originaly supported) and  they had memberships. Then they went defunct. All of a sudden they are back in business under a new name that now includes Bruce's name specifically. You think $$$$$. And they really have no product. They are just trying to be a governing body for what people have been doing without them already.  Then all of a sudden someone isn't credible if they aren't in the graces of the blf.

"I totally forgot the idea of all of this the when they tried the nucleus (I
originaly supported) and they had memberships. Then they went defunct.
All of a sudden they are back in business under a new name that now
includes Bruce's name specifically. You think $$$$$. And they really have
no product. They are just trying to be a governing body for what people
have been doing without them already. Then all of a sudden someone
isn't credible if they aren't in the graces of the blf."

Good post and very on point. The Nucleus started out with good
intentions (i.e. education, spreading the arts, references, etc.) and ended
up being about $$ that is why many left.

One of the problems alluded to here is the increasing influence of the
"wives" in the organization and propagation of these arts.

Unfortunately these actions came about originally due to the inability
of certain people close to those men to protect them from themselves.
These teachers were perhaps too giving and too available. It is not hard
to feel slighted by actions actually directed at someone else's behavior.
But what is being done now is a response to what has happened in the
past.

The video thing is a sticking point. We do pay a premium for this
access, but we have also seen the black market in video tapes fill up
even our shelves. UTube and MMA Tracker publishes just about
anything out there. I don't trade in the tapes of seminars I recorded
during the seminars I have hosted, but I have received offers for them
and have had unsolicited material given to me as well, So imagine if
something you did (like a seminar) was made available to anyone,
anywhere, without controls of any kind. It actually is intellectual
property. Do you have an un restricted right to it?

One of the reasons for the increased seminar costs is that the
presenters are looking for a bigger slice of the pie. I have heard of a
seminar where the presenter was able to pay for the event just with his
rattan stick sales. The 140 or so persons who paid to attend went right
into the host's pocket. No profit sharing went on nor any bonus paid.

I wouldn't mind that occasionally as my losses have always outweighed
my gains in seminars.

All valid points, just no easy answers.

Good points Phil. I don't disagree with any of them, and I can certainly see both sides.

I think the best approach though would be to make sure that the individuals that support your organization and/or your school realize that you (not you specifically, of course) value their support, and be very careful not to be seen as trying to squeeze every loose penny out of them, so that their only value is how much they pay.

I think students should also be willing to support their instuctors with reasonable costs. Very little that is worthwhile is free.

A relationship between an instructor and his student is just that, a relationship. Even if it's just a business relationship, it should be equally appreciated by both parties.

sg

Wow, an interesting read.

"One of the problems alluded to here is the increasing influence of the "wives" in the organization and propagation of these arts."

TTT

M...