Bruce Lee the fighter

lol @ diego. You're a douche. Bruce Lee has inspired millions to train in martial arts and go beyond the boundaries of classical training.

Funaki and Suzuki were motivated by Bruce Lee to start Pancrase.

the THEORY ALWAYS PRECEDES THE APPLICATION.

just cuz einstein didn't produce the atomic bomb, doesn't mean he didnt' lay the theoretical foundation.

Bruce Lee's influence on MMA is undeniable.

"lol @ diego. You're a douche"

EvilYoshida the wannabe-asian sticking up for an asian guy? Im shocked. Tell me are you going to undergo surgery to look more asian? Are you an asian trapped in a white guys body? Whats with the obsession? You need help brah

"the THEORY ALWAYS PRECEDES THE APPLICATION."

That has to be the dumbest statement ever on this forum. And even then im taking into consideration just how fucking dumb people can be on here.

Not everybody is doing martial arts just so they can hold a big shiny belt and get called champ.

The man was Taoist, and into the Mushashi/book of five rings kind of philosophy which puts the wants of the ego second to the development of the art form. This is why he made so many innovations, if he had chosen to try and be a champion for his personal glory he could have spent all of his time devoted to boxing, or kickboxing rather than branching out and trying to learn as much as he could about all aspects of martial arts.

Considering how fast and strong he was for 140, as well as the accounts from Inosanto, Joe lewis, Chuck Norris etc I think it would be safe to say that he could have developed into a good 'combat sport' fighter had he chosen to.

"That has to be the dumbest statement ever on this forum. And even then im taking into consideration just how fucking dumb people can be on here. "

LOL @ your retarded ass.

How is that a dumb statement?

Knowledge precedes its application. Ie you have to know something before you actually do or make something.

Simple truths.

Unless you're going by trial and error.

Your douchely stupidity sickenates me.

the man could do 2 finger pushups.

the man could do one armed pullups.

He influenced dorian yates with his physique.

the man was ahead of his time, no doubt.

Who knows how good of a fighter he is, but his influence on MMA is undeniable.

Its a dumb statement because if it was true. Then all keyboard warriors can beat Fedor. I mean theoretically they know what has to be done right? But i guess its a bit different when someone is punching your skull in as you try to "perform the application of your theory"

Bruce Lee had some great theorys im not taking that away from him. He was never a fighter however and thats a fact

Seriously go kill yourself. And dont commit seppuku in a last ditch effort of being asian

He was a legend as much for his avant-garde thinking, devotion to martial arts, and racial groundbreaking as much as for being a dangerous guy. Not every martial arts legend was a professional fighter.

How did gene Labelle humiliate him? Firstly IF the incident did happen (Labelle's account only) was it a life and death struggle?

And for someone who is so sceptical of positive anodotes of Bruce lee such as his taking the cion and replacing it with another coin from a person's hand before that person could close it, or eye witness accounts and experiences of his side kick, deigo is sure easy to believe scraps of rumours.

Face it, there's a lot of envy because MMA and MMA fighters will never get the global recognition that Lee made for himself.

If Gene Labelle was so good why didn't he impress everyone by throwing them and made his own films instead?

"Its a dumb statement because if it was true. Then all keyboard warriors can beat Fedor. I mean theoretically they know what has to be done right? But i guess its a bit different when someone is punching your skull in as you try to "perform the application of your theory" "

LOL @ your flawed reasoning.

Fighting Knowledge is essential to becoming a great fighter, but it is not sufficient.

You must be very bad at math or logic.

The big difference between Helio and Bruce is that Helio felt he had something to prove and Bruce did not. He was already accepted as a master at the time and people who had a problem with it could hunt him down. Helio wanted to advertise his challenges while Bruce wanted to train students and develop himself as a fighter.

It is you who must be new to MMA Funaki because I always considered it fairly comman knowledge that early Pancrase did works and Funaki was a big part of that.

"How did gene Labelle humiliate him? Firstly IF the incident did happen (Labelle's account only) was it a life and death struggle?"

Are you serious? Do you know who Gene Lebelle is?

"And for someone who is so sceptical of positive anodotes of Bruce lee such as his taking the cion and replacing it with another coin from a person's hand before that person could close it, or eye witness accounts and experiences of his side kick, deigo is sure easy to believe scraps of rumours."

Bruce Lee could do that coin replacement trick!? Oh my god that is for sure proof enough for me that he could fight!!

"Face it, there's a lot of envy because MMA and MMA fighters will never get the global recognition that Lee made for himself."

Michael Jackson is far more popular than Bruce Lee will ever be. Yupp great point you made there genius

"If Gene Labelle was so good why didn't he impress everyone by throwing them and made his own films instead?"

Maybe he was a crappy actor and a better fighter? Who gives a fuck. What the fuck kind of point are you trying to make? That Bruce Lee was a better actor than him? ok i agree

normalguy is the typical bruce lee is god fan

"It is you who must be new to MMA Funaki because I always considered it fairly comman knowledge that early Pancrase did works and Funaki was a big part of that. "

early pancrase had a mix of shoots and works. It wasn't full on pro wrestling. It preceded the UFC.

"Fighting Knowledge is essential to becoming a great fighter, but it is not sufficient."

So what your saying is that being good at theory doesnt mean you can fight. If that is the case then what are you trying to argue here? Do you have mental problems? Or just poor reading comprehension.

"You must be very bad at math or logic"

typical of a wannabe-asian boy to bring up math because he knows asians are supposed to be good at math. Your prejudice sickens me

I am well aware it was a "mix" of works and shoots. The problem being telling them apart.

"So what your saying is that being good at theory doesnt mean you can fight. If that is the case then what are you trying to argue here? Do you have mental problems? Or just poor reading comprehension. "

man you really are dense. you should get logic for dummies. I'm serious.

"The big difference between Helio and Bruce is that Helio felt he had something to prove and Bruce did not. He was already accepted as a master at the time and people who had a problem with it could hunt him down. Helio wanted to advertise his challenges while Bruce wanted to train students and develop himself as a fighter."

The big difference between Helio and Bruce is that Helio actually fought some legit guys. Bruce was just an actor who wrote a great book about the theory of martial arts.

"It is you who must be new to MMA Funaki because I always considered it fairly comman knowledge that early Pancrase did works and Funaki was a big part of that."

Pancrase did have early works but but all of the names i mentioned picked Funaki to beat Rickson. Why would they do that if they knew that their losses to him was fake? Regardless Funaki was better than any of the clowns that Bruce "fought"

"man you really are dense. you should get logic for dummies. I'm serious."

Your biased to anything asian. How dare you speak of logic with that mentality. Seriously kill yourself

Yeah the same logic, Fedor, Liddell etc are sportsmen not fighters.

1. The difference between Helio and Bruce Lee was;

Helio said "I have this theory on winning fights, and I'm going to prove it's valid by beating you even though I only weigh about 145 lbs"

Bruce said "I have this theory on winning fights, but I'm going to just write about it in my personal notes and, since I'm too busy making movies, not do much more than that"

1. Why do people think the idea of studying more than one style and combining them is Bruce Lee's unique innovation?

Do you know how many kung fu styles are based upon Mr X studying with two teachers and combining their two methods?

In the 20's and 30's in China, pretty much every major martial arts institution (Ching Wu, Wham Poa, etc) was mixing chinese martial art with Japanese Judo and Western boxing

Kano combined different schools of Jujitsu and cross trained in Karate striking

Mas Oyama studied several styles of Karate and cross trained in Judo, Aikijujitsu and Muay Thai

etc etc etc

"He was an actor, not a fighter> Fanboys get over it."

He fought. The list of people who beat him is extremely short and the list of people who praised him and trained with him is extremely long.

When we look for this ellusive "real MMA fighter" that supposedly existed at the time the best example we have is Helio getting mangled by Kimura in what was essentially a pure grappling match between two almost identical arts.

Hardly a great case for some internet board clowns to mock a man who had possibly the only pure vision of MMA at the time. A mix of techniques and incredible cardio and physical fitness. Tell me if you saw much of that in UFC 1, I didn't. Helio was just as poor of a striker as Bruce was a grappler, perhaps worse.