Bruce Lee's concepts and SBG??

Hi all,

This is my first time on the JKD forum and I would like to have SBG people's opinions....I was reading a couple of my old Bruce Lee and JKD books today....stop-hits, trapping, Bruce's guard, etc....How much of what Bruce taught actually functions in fights you guys went through???? Bruce is known to choose trapping and straight blast when he is serious about finishing a fight...does it really apply??? I just love martial arts and mma....and only want to learn from your experience, no disrespect here friends....thanks for your help.....I hope I'm clear enough, since english is not my first language! thanks again.

I was always curious about the "when Bruce Lee was serious, he would always choose trapping/straight-blast" quote.

Didn't he move to more of a kick-boxing structure near the end of his life?

The only place where I've seen that straight blast quote was from Paul Vunak's camp - and Vunak was (and probably still is) a big advocate of the straight blast.

Welcome to the board.

Buy MAtt Thortons Funtional JKD Series. Itis an excellent series, cheap, and informative. You will have tons of info and not be dissapointed.

I was going through my video collection yesterday and was just thinking how because of the whole MMA structure (BJJ, wrestling and Muay Thai to the exclusion of everything else) a lot of good stuff is being ignored.

I have a different perspective from a lot of people because I started with Muay Thai so I don't have a big "realism" hangup. It was after two years of Muay Thai that I fell in with the JKD crowd. What kept me there was Bruce Lee's writings on footwork and timing.

None of that stuff is taught explicitly in a Muay Thai gym (at least in Thailand). In fact, if you watch MT fights, quite a few fighters stand and trade. I'm a small guy so I like mobility. The OJKD fencing footwork (explosive in and out), the emphasis on counter-timing and even the five ways of attack added a lot of sophistication to the way I fight.

I still consider Joe Lewis' stuff fundamental for any new striker.

On trapping- don't be stupid about it. Boxers "trap" all the time. When they're in-fighting, they push with their bodies, crowd with the shoulder, push elbows up and down. Chi-sao is a way to develop sensitivity for this (I don't think it's a great way, but, hey, it is a way). Don't force the form on the fight- get the feel and do what it takes.

Oh boy.

Hello "Seek",

Matt's first set is probably your best bet but you can also visit our main page for plenty of reading material. Check out Matt's Q & A section first.

As to your post....

"How much of what Bruce taught actually functions in fights you guys went through????"

I don't care. This is not apathy or a negative statement in any manner but instead just as sincere an answer as your question.

I can only ask You, what does it really matter to YOU what we or any other goes through? If YOU do as your forum name implies YOU will find in the end that it is YOU that knows what YOU are and can or may do through any thing. This only changes as YOU come to know. Not anyone else.

"Bruce is known to choose trapping and straight blast when he is serious about finishing a fight...does it really apply???"

Again, really? Does it? Tell me. As your forum name implies, you will find and discover that...it really does not matter but instead YOU do.

If this does not quite answer YOUR question it's because it's my answer and not yours.

There is no-thing there.

Instead YOU...HERE.

-Luis

www.straightblastgym.com

www.onedragon.com

"I can only ask You, what does it really matter to YOU
what we or any other goes through? If YOU do as your
forum name implies YOU will find in the end that it is
YOU that knows what YOU are and can or may do through
any thing. This only changes as YOU come to know. Not
anyone else."

Luis nails it again. I saw this post and was going to
say basically the same thing, but Lu beat me to it.

If people really understood this point instead of
recycling endless discussions about Bruce Lee's
technique, Bruce Lee's speed, what would Bruce think
of x, y, z, all of their questions about what
"actually functions" could be answered for themselves.

Steve Whittier

www.nexusma.com

www.straightblastgym.com

"I have a different perspective from a lot of people because I started with Muay Thai so I don't have a big "realism" hangup. It was after two years of Muay Thai that I fell in with the JKD crowd. What kept me there was Bruce Lee's writings on footwork and timing.

None of that stuff is taught explicitly in a Muay Thai gym (at least in Thailand). In fact, if you watch MT fights, quite a few fighters stand and trade. I'm a small guy so I like mobility. The OJKD fencing footwork (explosive in and out), the emphasis on counter-timing and even the five ways of attack added a lot of sophistication to the way I fight."
~PKN~

A physical model of JKD's later stage does exist. Bruce Lee's image has become a distraction to many people, in many ways but JKD is da bomb...

M...

Hi again!
I would like to thank all of you for your precious time and advice. It was my first time posting there and I really like the jkd forum. very open minded people posting there. thanks a lot friends.

U kno...I idolize Michael Jordan...but I don't think I'll be able to dribble the way he dribbles or score like the way he can score( tools: fadeaway, dunk, stop on the dime jumper, driving layups ). So some of MJ teaching will not help my game...but it's cool to kno them. Basic basketball will give me a game to develop on. Perhaps Matt Thornton DVDs is an excellent curriculum that will give u a solid base to work on the basic fundlementals then u can add on BRUCE tools.