Bruiser Brody: Legacy of Brutality

“I believe in violence.  I believe it’s the only thing understood universally.”

- Bruiser Brody

Brody against Hogan in 88,89 would’ve been huge.  If Brody worked long enough, I’d have loved to seen Brody against Bret.

In for brody

TME about Brody. I know nothing of him, but have heard a lot. I was born in 95.

Don Brodka -

Brody against Hogan in 88,89 would’ve been huge.  If Brody worked long enough, I’d have loved to seen Brody against Bret.

I dont think Brody vs Hogan would have been written properly

jujitsujamo -
Don Brodka -

You’re probably right.  But if they just let Brody be a wild monster it’d have been money.  Brody could be perceived as a real threat to Hulk.

BigPup - TME about Brody. I know nothing of him, but have heard a lot. I was born in 95.

In a nutshell, Bruiser Brody was a badass monster, who could cut a promo.  He was very believable in the way he worked.  He was a free agent in the US, who never stayed in any one particular territory for an extended period of time.  He had a rep for threatening to walkout at the last minute if his new demands weren’t met.  He’d literally slap the shit out of any promoter that tried to fuck with his pay.  He was good friends with Stan Hansen, they were teammates at West Texas State(Football).  They both were broken into the business by the Funks.  Brody and Hansen were a legendary tag team in Japan.  Both were absolute GODS in Japan.  This was part of the reason Brody was difficult to do business with in the US.  Brody made significantly more money in Japan than in the states.  So he couldn’t afford to EVER look weak.  At that time the Japanese press would report on Brody’s matches in the states.  Therefore he’d rarely be willing to sell for an opponent.  This difficult reputation played a role in his death.  In 1987 Brody was stabbed in a locker room at show in Puerto Rico, by Invader 1(Jose Gonzalez).  Brody died a few hours later from the injuries sustained.  He left behind a widow and a young son.  His killer was acquitted in a farce of a trial.  Bruiser Brody was a true outlaw, and one of the most influential wrestlers of all time.   He was college educated and actually wrote for the Dallas Morning News before he got into wrestling.  In Japan he was known as the intelligent monster.  Had his life not ended prematurely, he’d had probably been involved behind the scenes in wrestling for many years.  He’s one of my favorites of all time.  And his look and work style has been ripped off for years.

Don Brodka -
BigPup - TME about Brody. I know nothing of him, but have heard a lot. I was born in 95.

In a nutshell, Bruiser Brody was a badass monster, who could cut a promo.  He was very believable in the way he worked.  He was a free agent in the US, who never stayed in any one particular territory for an extended period of time.  He had a rep for threatening to walkout at the last minute if his new demands weren’t met.  He’d literally slap the shit out of any promoter that tried to fuck with his pay.  He was good friends with Stan Hansen, they were teammates at West Texas State(Football).  They both were broken into the business by the Funks.  Brody and Hansen were a legendary tag team in Japan.  Both were absolute GODS in Japan.  This was part of the reason Brody was difficult to do business with in the US.  Brody made significantly more money in Japan than in the states.  So he couldn’t afford to EVER look weak.  At that time the Japanese press would report on Brody’s matches in the states.  Therefore he’d rarely be willing to sell for an opponent.  This difficult reputation played a role in his death.  In 1987 Brody was stabbed in a locker room at show in Puerto Rico, by Invader 1(Jose Gonzalez).  Brody died a few hours later from the injuries sustained.  He left behind a widow and a young son.  His killer was acquitted in a farce of a trial.  Bruiser Brody was a true outlaw, and one of the most influential wrestlers of all time.   He was college educated and actually wrote for the Dallas Morning News before he got into wrestling.  In Japan he was known as the intelligent monster.  Had his life not ended prematurely, he’d had probably been involved behind the scenes in wrestling for many years.  He’s one of my favorites of all time.  And his look and work style has been ripped off for years.

Actually I have watched a match between him and Abdullah the Butcher that was on youtube. It was definitely a very believable, hard-hitting match. I believe the match was in San Antonio in the late 80s/early 90s?

BigPup -
Don Brodka -

Actually I have watched a match between him and Abdullah the Butcher that was on youtube. It was definitely a very believable, hard-hitting match. I believe the match was in San Antonio in the late 80s/early 90s?
Ahhh. It must have been the 80s as you said he died in 87.

In

BigPup -
Don Brodka -

Abdullah was his main rival.  The two of them along with Stan Hansen were making 15k a week, when touring in Japan.  That’s 15k in early 80s dollars mind you.  And people wonder why his loyalty always remained with the Japanese promotions.

Don Brodka -
BigPup -
Don Brodka -

Abdullah was his main rival.  The two of them along with Stan Hansen were making 15k a week, when touring in Japan.  That’s 15k in early 80s dollars mind you.  And people wonder why his loyalty always remained with the Japanese promotions.

That is insane to think about! 15k in one week? I'd say Fuck you to the United States promotions as well

jujitsujamo - 
Don Brodka -

Have Brody come in after a WM, kill everyone for 364 days until the next one, and cut insane heel promos. That's all it would take. However, with as cartoonish as the WWF was getting, they might have bungled it.

According to Gary Hart’s RF shoot, Brody slapped Jerry Jarrett, Don Owen, Bob Geigal, and Paul Boesch