Building a Shop, Need to Kit it Out with Equipment

you tell the concrete vendor what slump you want. then you don’t let the driver add too much water.

When I pour, I hire an engineering company to be there when we pour. They do a number of things. they record when each truck arrives, how long each truck sat before pouring, the air temp when the truck poured, the temp of the concrete, how many yards, they do a slump test of each batch, they also fill up some cylinders that are kept onsite for 24hrs then taken back to their lab. They use these to test the strength of the mix by breaking them. They test one at 7 days, 14 days, 28 days and then they hold one for future. some jobs require more breaks than this too. they record a ton of other info that is all very useful, especially if there is a problem later on. Normally, the project owner should be hiring these guys to monitor me, my subs, and the concrete vendor. I hire them myself, even if the owner isn’t worried about it. Some towns/cities will require me to submit these reports to them as well. there are a ton of other tests & reports that these guys do for me. Compaction testing is one. Last summer, I did a project that required a ton of this kind of stuff for different long term warranties of things, specifically Geopiers.

I’m definitely not suggesting that you should go to this extent for your own shop. just sharing some of what can be done.

2 Likes

Good grief- I don’t think this job warrants that expertise or thoroughness:)

Cool to know though. What would they do if a sample core shows weakness after x weeks? Tear it up and redo ? Does that happen often?

I have hired a guy and his crew for the pour. We’ve been in touch about what I’m doing before he gets here, but he has managed the details on the truck and pour. Don’t want to pester him at this stage- gonna trust that he will get everything sorted on that end re slump. Business has been around a while. Local guy.

1 Like

Ya wanna feel your age? A couple good hours of raking gravel. That’ll do it. Gonna give it a once over in the morning, run the compactor over the whole thing, and call it done

2 Likes

in my personal experience, I haven’t had breaks come back bad. well, I did once but it was an early break so when that happens, we often just wait it out and pray that the longer duration breaks come back at full strength.
I do know of plenty of horror stories of bad breaks or bad something else that lead to major demolition and repours.
all types of shit can go wrong with concrete. people have no idea.
for example, in the winter, we temp heat buildings. temp heat sometimes causes carbonization or carbonation which weakens the surface of the slab.
if it’s too hot out, above 90 or so, it’s bad for the concrete. some suppliers put ice in the mix trucks. seriously.
too cold is a big problem. can’t pour on frozen ground. need to heat the ground, then cover w/blankets.
if it’s windy out, and you have an exterior pour, it fucks up the surface.
it seems easy but it’s really very complicated to get it all correct.

if you are going to pour this summer, and it’s going to be hot, you can do what’s called a wet-cure. very easy to do on your own small pour.

Just fired up the gorge for the first time. Very excited.

4 Likes

paris hilton thats hot GIF by Kim and Paris

2 Likes

Anvil is in. This fucker is heavy. Somewhere between 250 and 300 pounds. Looks nice on the red oak stump.

3 Likes

Oh Yeah GIF by Leroy Patterson

3 Likes

Super cool conversation piece.
Maybe i missed it, is there a story behind it?

It is a story of misery and despair. Then a coming of age …

Steve Mcqueen Hello GIF by Turner Classic Movies

2 Likes

It is a well drillers anvil. It is made for heavy abuse. I am going to be able to hit this with a 20 pound sledge all day and it will laugh and tell me to bring it harder next time. Plus it was free. FIL bought it off a guy 40 years ago and it just sat in the shed. Now it sits in my shed.

3 Likes

You ain’t right.

1 Like

Anvils are so cool.
Crazy expensive around here. I don’t use one, so it’s not the end of the world, but I definitely keep my eye out and will grab one (free/cheap) if the opportunity presents itself

1 Like

They are pricey. In my area, they go for between 5-8 bucks a pound. This one would probably run 2 grand if I had to buy it. I may upgrade eventually to one with a horn but for now this will do just fine.

1 Like

It’s Slab day!! It’s finally slab day!!

Woot woot!

2 Likes

Cool. I just had a small pour yesterday.

Good luck

2 Likes

Thanks- Im in the hands of the crew I hired at this point. I did as much as I think was needed to prep, so…
They seem to have their shit together. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Good luck on the pour.

2 Likes

Yeswelder just launched their kickstarter for a combo AC/DC tig, stick, plasma cutter with built in air compressor. First 800 get a free welding helmet included and only like 150 sold so far. In case anyone’s looking for a cool machine.

1 Like
2 Likes