Building muscle / cutting fat at 48 years old.

My dear OG bro scientists, I need your advice.

I'm 48 y/o and wanting to build muscle and cut some belly fat. I'm considering just doing calisthenics in the park for a month or two and then hit the gym again.

I'm not a newbie to fitness, but I haven't been exercising or working out for the last 5 years.

Recently, within the past 2 months I started eating better and not eating carbs at night. Here is a pic from this morning after working out:

http://imgur.com/a/VpfTd

I'm happy that I'm starting to see my abs again, but I know that calisthenics will not produce the same results as heavy weights.

I've accumulated a lot of injuries in my youth from a combination of hard living, MMA/BJJ for nearly 20 plus years, active duty military service for 4 years and injuries from lifting heavy previously (back from heavy squats and deadlifts).

I want to avoid injury at all cost.

Does anyone have recommendations for my age? Can I stick with calisthenics (pull ups, push up, dips, squats etc.) and get results? Would it be safer to just go this route?

Or, will I get better results in the gym and if so, is there a particular protocol I should consider--again, considering that I'm 48 and don't recover quickly anymore.

THrow some bro science at me please!

By the way...the pic is definitely me posing and getting the best angle. lol

I still have belly fat to cut.

Test you old fuck

First thing... You need to train your body 4 times a week. Why? Because you need to keep your joints and tendons strong... Less time working out each week is more downtime and an older body really needs to stay in motion. It's the best way to avoid injury. 

Supplement up. Creatine, BCAAs, Glutimine. That's it. Just those and that stuff is fairly cheap now. Get the kind in the white bag from amazon. Super popular and great reviews.

As for workouts... Kettlebells or GTFO. What kind of man are you? C'mon bro. Two 35 pounders and a yoga/workout mat is all you'll need for a while. Trust me.  

I'm in close to the same boat in terms of age and injuries.  It's as much (if not moreso) diet than exercise that will affect your bodyfat.

I've been mixing weights with cardio.  With the weights, I try to keep the reps in the 10-12 range for sets so I'm not going too heavy - want my muscles to be sore, not the joints.  If I try to max out for single reps, then my joints get sore the next day (both knees have been scoped and I've had shoulder injuries and herniated cervical disks from wrestling).  

I bought a 35lb and 53lb kettlebell, and have some olympic weights at home - though no squat rack... so I have to clean the bar to do squats.  I try to target a certain number of reps for a given exercise and do 3-4 per workout in as few sets and as quickly as possible to keep heart rate up.  Train each bodypart twice a week and aim to do something 5 days a week.

Still, it's surprising how fast strength can bounce back if you work out regularly.  I cut down from 210lbs to about 198 (want to be 195) and have dropped 3" off my waist so far in 3 months.  I can still clean and press 225, which is not bad for an old fart.

ShanTheMan - Test you old fuck

I've been on TRT for some time. My test was at the very bottom end of the spectrum (220 or around there). Interestingly enough, the first doctor I ever saw about this, a female physician, told me that I didn't have anything to work out and that I shouldn't be messing around taking hormones.

I then proceeded to ask her about the poster on her wall, advertising female hormone replacement therapy. She didn't take that very well.

Currently doing 250mg a week of test (injected).

You look very healthy (no homo, bro). What's the goal? Why are you trying to cut more stomach fat?

paradigmer -

I've been on TRT for some time. My test was at the very bottom end of the spectrum (220 or around there). Interestingly enough, the first doctor I ever saw about this, a female physician, told me that I didn't have anything to work out and that I shouldn't be messing around taking hormones.

I then proceeded to ask her about the poster on her wall, advertising female hormone replacement therapy. She didn't take that very well.

OK, so more test!

You look pretty damn good you fucker

I am prob in same shape as you...and same age

In to hear what those smarter than me have to say

For me I truly enjoy going to the gym. I would rather go everyday for half hour when work is slow. When I have down time (as I do know)

Chest, Tri
Legs
Shoulders, Traps
Back, Bi

I know its a bro routine but I only do three exercises per large bodypart and 3 sets make per exercise for 10-12 reps. Only two exercises for smaller bodyparts. I am done in 30 mins, I wil hop on the treadmill for 20 after

When work is busy I just go whenever I can and do Push/Pull/Legs. If I dont want to go to gym or really pressed for time I will do a KB / Boxing workout in basement

JitsuGuy - 

First thing... You need to train your body 4 times a week. Why? Because you need to keep your joints and tendons strong... Less time working out each week is more downtime and an older body really needs to stay in motion. It's the best way to avoid injury. 

Supplement up. Creatine, BCAAs, Glutimine. That's it. Just those and that stuff is fairly cheap now. Get the kind in the white bag from amazon. Super popular and great reviews.

As for workouts... Kettlebells or GTFO. What kind of man are you? C'mon bro. Two 35 pounders and a yoga/workout mat is all you'll need for a while. Trust me.  

Do you recommend doing the same routine (full body calisthenics) 4 times per week or doing a split routine?

I'm not sure if I could recover from 4 times of the same workout every week.

hooke - You look very healthy (no homo, bro). What's the goal? Why are you trying to cut more stomach fat?

You can't see it in the pic, but I still have a little bit of love handles and a little bit of a belly.

I need to develop chest/arms/legs more.

I don't aspire to be a bodybuilder, but a little more mass wouldn't hurt.

JitsuGuy - 

"Supplement up. Creatine, BCAAs, Glutimine."

Thanks!

I forgot to ask about supplements.

May start with fish oil again also.

paradigmer -
hooke - You look very healthy (no homo, bro). What's the goal? Why are you trying to cut more stomach fat?

You can't see it in the pic, but I still have a little bit of love handles and a little bit of a belly.

I need to develop chest/arms/legs more.

I don't aspire to be a bodybuilder, but a little more mass wouldn't hurt.
Is it a health issue or a vanity issue? I'm about the same age as you without a huge history of injury and I workout In an attempt to be healthy. And I enjoy it, it's one of my few hobbies.

But I'll never want to eat clean enough/work out enough to get rid of love handles at 47. That day is gone.

But if that's your pleasure, more power to you.

Also, checkout GertFitness on Youtube. 

You're looking really good, and that's after 5 years of not working out ??! Amazing 

why don't you try crossfit ? Guaranteed you'll lose fat ...just go light on the weight and it's a good way to build cardio/conditioning ....then to add muscle , do some sort of weight training workout 

You look great for your age. Are you trying to be on a magazine cover? Don't.

Enjoy the few years you have left on this Earth without stressing too much about having a six pack because morons in society brainwashed the masses into thinking it's some life changing achievement.

snakepitz - You look pretty damn good you fucker

I am prob in same shape as you...and same age

In to hear what those smarter than me have to say

For me I truly enjoy going to the gym. I would rather go everyday for half hour when work is slow. When I have down time (as I do know)

Chest, Tri
Legs
Shoulders, Traps
Back, Bi

I know its a bro routine but I only do three exercises per large bodypart and 3 sets make per exercise for 10-12 reps. Only two exercises for smaller bodyparts. I am done in 30 mins, I wil hop on the treadmill for 20 after

When work is busy I just go whenever I can and do Push/Pull/Legs. If I dont want to go to gym or really pressed for time I will do a KB / Boxing workout in basement
You look good too

BEEP

paradigmer - 

"I then proceeded to ask her about the poster on her wall, advertising female hormone replacement therapy. She didn't take that very well."

I realize for doctors, lawyers and whatnot, us men need men! Unless the woman is one of the rare gems. Bias and lack of comprehension is real.

Well, seems to me, you got things figured in a way age is fairly irrelevant. I find it's best I not push too hard except for endurance events. I'll perform well but the next two days will be feel super tired.

Grueso solido apretado

ryans - Grueso solido apretado

Ayyyy chiquito !