"Building up fighters" = Squash matches and cans?

Whend fans say that the UFC needs to build up fighters with wins to generate interest and matches to setup winning streaks do you realize that it basically sounds like you want pro-wrestling match fixing.  You want a fighter to get an opponent below his level so he can have a better chance at a win.  So now it's okay for the promoter to try and pre arrange and setup matches?  Fans complain about watered down PPVs but you want some rising star to get matched up with Barry Horowitz the clueless tomoato can brought in to basically take a dive?  You really want the promoter to start manipulating fights in order to "build up" the fighter of their choice?

The idea of fans wanting an organization to rig matches just to build up drama is ridiculous, but that's what some people think is needed.  Some people will backpedal and say they don't want match fixing but will use boxing as an example of building up guys with undefeated records.  That just means you want cards filled with one sided mismatches so that you can see the big megafight every couple of years like in boxing?

Do people even realize the things they're saying when talking about this?  Since when is the promoter responsible for "building up fighters" in MMA?

That's pretty much what goes on in most regional promotions, no need for that in the UFC. Once you're in the UFC, you should be ready for anyone in the world at your weight. No build ups needed at that point.

I agree. Who's asking for that though? I think we're all glad that it's not like that in the UFC.

Fans do respond to that though.
That's why sometimes you'll see a strikeforce card where guys look amazing and dynamic, lots of finishes.
Then you'll have a ufc with some boring stalemate matches. It's hard to avoid those matches the higher up the totem pole you go.
Fans love finishes, tougher comp usually leads to less finishes. Obviously there are some special fighters out there this doesn't apply to. Phone Post 3.0

I think this practice has been happening for a long time now. Nothing new.

On different threads I still see the comments about UFC needing to focus on building stars.  Whether it's PPV prices, fighter pay or whatever.

People don't seem to grasp that you don't just "build stars".

JoeHurley - 

On different threads I still see the comments about UFC needing to focus on building stars.  Whether it's PPV prices, fighter pay or whatever.

People don't seem to grasp that you don't just "build stars".

It's not fair to build stars by giving them easy bouts, but there are many different ways UFC can build stars.  Videos, interviews, primetime specials, advertising opportunities, being featured on the event posters etc. are all ways to bring the fighter to the public without having to feed cans.  Records are not as important for an established fighter as the power of the UFC promotional machine.

Hurley is right. The practice backfires. Gonzaga was supposed to get kicked to death and set up Cro Cop- Randy for the title, and we missed out on an all time matchup because of an attempt to build a fighter up.

I like mcgregor's response about building him up instead of feeding him to the wolves "fuck that. I am the wolf" and then wants Pettis and Aldo Phone Post 3.0

Bobby Lupo - Hurley is right. The practice backfires. Gonzaga was supposed to get kicked to death and set up Cro Cop- Randy for the title, and we missed out on an all time matchup because of an attempt to build a fighter up.

I like mcgregor's response about building him up instead of feeding him to the wolves "fuck that. I am the wolf" and then wants Pettis and Aldo Phone Post 3.0
You mean Diego? Phone Post 3.0

when i hear build up a fighter, i envision they slow increase the quality of fighter he is going against.

Example: fight 1 vs #15, fight 2 vs 12 and so on. Not just throwing him against a top 8 fighter from he start

This sums it up...

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/The_Homer_They_Fall

Just saying.

ttt

I have never understood that mindset either.  I don't wanna see someone get built up.  I wanna see who the best is. 

To me the best way to go about it is have people fight someone who they are a close equal too.  Don't get me wrong though I do like the occasional missmatch due to short notice fights but that is assuming they arn't engineered. 

we need a Joe Hurley comeback !

What I think is meant by 'building a star' is media presence, not necessarily a bunch of wins that mean little to nothing. It means putting one fighter on a magazine cover instead of an already established one, radio interviews, tv promos, etc. There were arguments that Gus, Hendricks and Weidman didn't deserve to fight for the belt because their names weren't big enough. After we've seen how they preformed I'd lay blame at the promoter for not giving these guys the coverage they deserve Phone Post 3.0

YHTOMIT2001 -

That's pretty much what goes on in most regional promotions, no need for that in the UFC. Once you're in the UFC, you should be ready for anyone in the world at your weight. No build ups needed at that point.

I agree with this. Phone Post 3.0

I'd say Rory McDonald vs Che Mills is exactly the type of fight OP is talking about Phone Post 3.0

Hong Kong Phooey - 

I need a new shoulder for that.

JoeHurley - 
Hong Kong Phooey - 

I need a new shoulder for that.

im glad ive seen you bang bro KOTC Soboba   :)