BULLSHIT reffing in Baroni fight...

Once again, an idiot uneducated ref made an absolutely unacceptable and ridiculous call by standing up the fighters while Baroni had FULL MOUNT.

I just don't get it.

If you want to watch kickboxing, watch kickboxing.

If you want boxing, go watch boxing.

This is fucking MMA - you do NOT stand up a fighter 4 seconds after he achieves the most dominate position a fighter can obtain; that is a travesty.

If Phil would have lost, the screams of fix would be blowing this board up.

UG is that way <

Shit.

Mods, please move to UG.

Thanks.

The UG is actually that way >

uses gsp system in truck

ends up in montreal

Kakkarotto_san - Once again, an idiot uneducated ref made an absolutely unacceptable and ridiculous call by standing up the fighters while Baroni had FULL MOUNT.

I just don't get it.

If you want to watch kickboxing, watch kickboxing.

If you want boxing, go watch boxing.

This is fucking MMA - you do NOT stand up a fighter 4 seconds after he achieves the most dominate position a fighter can obtain; that is a travesty.

If Phil would have lost, the screams of fix would be blowing this board up.

I was thinking the same thing when it happened.

I bet the ref regretted doing it too... hahah

Where was this, Cage Rage?

What about the after fight shenanigans? Baroni got headbutted 'cause he knocked the guy out?

fuck that idiot referee!

That was completely ridiculous.

Standing fighters up from the mount is 100% bullshit.

Either way, awesome fight for Phil.  170 is where he belongs. 

Normally the Cage Rage reffing is pretty decent, that shit was fishy if you ask me.

You gentlemen seriously believe that there is no corruption in this "sport"? And if you do believe there is, why always act so shocked about it?

I saw that and was thinking WTF??

complete bs

but it still worked out for phil :)

headbutts ref

sure, he was in side control for a while

but he wasn't in full mount long at ALL

especially not long enough to warrant a stand up

If Baroni's forte was BJJ, then I would have cracked up at that standup. It was completely out of order. He had mount for only a split second. And beforehand, he was trying to submit the guy in half-guard. It's not like he was trying.

Normally Grant is a good ref and has been reffing for CR for years.. But that was certainly a fishy standup. Lucky for Baroni he has heavy hands, and still knocked the guy out.

And christ, what was up with that headbutt to Baroni? Cage Rage came across as really unprofessional last night. I was embarrassed for the show.

Leigh - grant (the ref) is a friend of mine and i didn't think the stand up was that bad. i was surprised because phil had full mount but he wasn't doing ANYTHING with it and he had been laying on him from side control for ages. in line with some of the other comments, if you want to watch wrestling or bjj, watch wrestling or bjj

lmao

He had just gotten into full mount and was in the process of posturing up to rain down strikes and just about had the guys grip broke to do it. As far as laying on him in side control for ages, it looked to me like he damn near had the guy submitted with the armlock a couple of times from there unless that guy was just making wincy faces for the hell of it.

Leigh - grant (the ref) is a friend of mine and i didn't think the stand up was that bad. i was surprised because phil had full mount but he wasn't doing ANYTHING with it and he had been laying on him from side control for ages.

Yes, earlier he HAD been in side control for ages, and then spent a little while in half guard too. But Phil passed from half guard to full mount (i.e. improved his position) and the ref stood them up approximately 12 seconds later (based on eyeballing the fight clock). That's a TERRIBLE stand up. You don't wait until after the fighter gets into full freaking mount to decide 12 secs later that it's been a bit too long on the ground overall. Sorry, dude, Grant may not be an idiot but that was a horrible call on his part.

In any event, my completely unsubstantiated explanation for the post-fight behavior is that the fight was supposed to be a work, Phil was in on it, and he didn't play ball whether on accident or on purpose. I like that story and I'm stickin' with it. That's the NYBA for ya.

a fight should NEVER be stood up when one fighter has full mount, imo. to allow this only further encourages fighters who find themselves in a bad position on the ground to stall and hope for the ref to save them rather than open up and try to escape.

Grant Waterman is the Big John McCarthy of British MMA. He's the main man and a good ref.

Waterman fucked up on that one, though. I don't see how anyone can argue it.