BULLSHIT reffing in Baroni fight...

Here's the fight:

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/VideoDetails.aspx?vid=10000783&tid=100

And just like somebody earlier said, if BJJ was Baroni's bread and butter, people would be SCREAMING "fix".

Baroni had clearly just moved into a very dominant, fight ending position right when they were stood up. That said, I understood the reasoning behind it when it happened. The fans were told to expect a war on the feet and only one punch had been thrown before Baroni took it to the ground in the first 30 seconds. It's BS but you've got to keep the fans happy.

travenbjj -  ^^^^  Please tell you did not post that?       Because you told the fans it would be a war on their feet, the ref stood it up?

Yup, it happens all the time, in every organisation. With all respect, are you seriously telling me that you've never seen it happen?

Leigh - 
WOD 502 - Wow. And you are an ACTUAL pro fighter? Seriously?

yep, and you're not. imagine my surprise

lol

Shiloh -
Leigh -

lol

+1

it was a lame standup, but at least it didnt change the fight in a bad way for phil

This would have been a lot shittier if Baroni wouldn't have won the fight, but I think that ref hurt that kid.

Baroni probably would have finished it with GNP from the mount, IMO.

Leigh -

Well, I'm not a pro fighter either and its obvious that I know more about MMA than you. Apparently you don't think its possible, yet clearly this is the case.

YOU DO NOT STAND UP A FIGHTER IN MOUNT. EVER.

LMAO @ "Please tell me you didnt post that"

Just because someone is a good ref, doesn't mean they don't fuck up.

But keep making this noise, it's honestly good for the sport. When people make mistakes they need to hear about it, otherwise it can be taken as acceptance.

travenbjj -  If they are standing and circling and not throwing punches do you make them go to the ground?
Someone close this thread or at least any argument supporting a stand up from full mount. 

The only standup I've seen that was almost as bad was Newton/Chonan. Newton
had Chonan's back and they stood them up. However, unlike this fight it was
after Newton had Chonan's back for about a minute and didn't seem to be
doing anything with it. But it was still a terrible call.

You can't argue that the ref made a good call by standing them up. That was a
really, really bad call.

jackangle - 
travenbjj -  If they are standing and circling and not throwing punches do you make them go to the ground?
Someone close this thread or at least any argument supporting a stand up from full mount. 

if someone takes a guy down, holds mount for 3 or 4 minutes without ever throwing a punch or a sub attempt they should stand them up

there you go

I just don't get it.

If you want to watch kickboxing, watch kickboxing.

If you want boxing, go watch boxing.

Dont watch much Cage Rage do you?

All the commentators/brass do in that organization is say "Hopefully this will be a stand-up war!" roughly 80 times an event.

For instance, on this last one they actually half-critiqued Tom Watson for taking the fight to the ground, saying (paraphrase), "The fans want exciting stand up and will love you more, but sometimes you have to do what it takes to win." Like 90% of the Brit fighter interviews are, "Its not going to the ground, I'm gonna' stand and win by knockout." Its ridiculous.

Sure, its gotten slightly better (more through fighters just naturally being well-rounded than CR trying to be more modern thinking), but its still how those backwards Brits sell MMA.

Complete BS standup. Phil had sidemount for a loing while, yes, but he was going for submissions, then his oponent got him in half guard, which Phil escaped and mounted him, onjly to get stood up before he had time to make much of it. I agree that if someone does NOTHINg from a dominant position that the ref should stand them back up, but not after just a few seconds. Besides, Phil was working to posture up.

totally retarded. how do u stand guys up from the mount?!

Am I'm a big supporter of stand-ups

Here's the gif for those who missed it. Bluenamer please?

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l322/xad2/dodgy_ref.gif

Leigh, if you were working for submissions from side-control or half guard and then worked for full mount, would you be pissed if the ref stood you up two seconds after getting full mount?

I know the guy is your friend and all, but if you are a professional fighter, you know that this is your (at least part-time) PROFESSION. What if Baroni lost because of that?

It doesn't make it okay because 1) Baroni won and 2) the ref is your friend. It was still a horrible decision and you of all people should know that...

Einar - Complete BS standup. Phil had sidemount for a loing while, yes, but he was going for submissions, then his oponent got him in half guard, which Phil escaped and mounted him, onjly to get stood up before he had time to make much of it. I agree that if someone does NOTHINg from a dominant position that the ref should stand them back up, but not after just a few seconds. Besides, Phil was working to posture up.

100% correct.

did anybody see kimbo slice's fight in the CBS premier of EliteXC?

how does that ground game compare to Cage Rage last night?

there seems to be a little bit of inequity in some of the standups (or lack of standups). i can appreciate that it's a tough job to make those calls and i'm not going to offer to do it. but, when you make a bad call, expect some people to say something about it.

Phil was a trooper & got the job done. many props to the NYBA for showing class & concern for his opponent after the bout.