Burns: Masvidal 'Lying for Sure' about Not Being Offered to Fight Him

1 Like

LAS VEGAS – Gilbert Burns insists the UFC offered him Jorge Masvidal on numerous occasions.

Masvidal (35-16 MMA, 12-9 UFC) denied ever being offered to fight Burns at UFC 281 on Nov. 12, UFC 282 this past Saturday or UFC 283 on Jan. 21, but Burns (20-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) is calling shenanigans.

Although he was eager to face Masvidal next, an idea Burns says the UFC was all for, Burns decided to move on when the fight didn’t come to fruition. Instead, “Durinho” has been booked against Neil Magny at UFC 283 in Rio de Janeiro.

“He was lying, for sure, or Hunter (Campbell) and the UFC were lying,” Burns told MMA Junkie and other reporters at UFC 282. “I don’t believe they were, but they offered me Jorge. ‘You want to fight Jorge?’ That was the question. ‘You want to fight Jorge Masvidal at MSG?’ You guys know what I’m saying. I said, ‘For sure.'”

Masvidal is scheduled for a Feb. 27 trial date for his alleged attack on Colby Covington in March in Miami Beach. He faces charges on single counts of aggravated battery resulting in great bodily harm and criminal mischief. If found guilty, Masvidal could face up to 15 years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine.

Burns is coming off a war against Khamzat Chimaev at UFC 273 in April in which he pushed the unbeaten star to the brink. Chimaev has been linked to a bout with Colby Covington, but Burns thinks Chimaev will either end up rematching him or facing Belal Muhammad.

“I think that fight is not happening,” Burns said. “I don’t know. I think it will be me or Belal – I think one of us. I don’t think Colby’s fighting. It don’t look like it. That thing with Jorge is going to a different direction. I just think that fight, Khamzat and Colby, is not happening. That’s why I want to beat Neil Magny in Brazil and we’ll see what’s next.”

3 Likes

McGregor vs Masvidal makes the most sense. That does massive sales and both are coming off of a few losses in a row. Stylistically would be very fun, most likely no threat of a takedown from either. The result could also go either way. Honestly don’t know who I’d pick to win that. It is a non title fight that could easily headline a PPV and no one would complain.

3 Likes

DANA ALREADY SHUT THAT IDEA DOWN. CAN’T RISK ONE OF YOUR FEW $$ DRAWS LOSING A FIGHT.

I feel they’ve squeezed all the juice out of Mas possible at this point. They probably throw him in a hail mary matchup against Leon, though. Just due to the story line between the two.

Masvidal trying to protect himself at all costs. The only fights he’ll accept right now are Conor or Leon for the belt

1 Like

Can’t blame masvidal for not fighting Burns though - there’s a lot of risk vs Burns and little upside if he beats him.

Masvidal vs Neal or Pereira are fun but Jorge wouldn’t take those

Conor just does nothing to move the needle for me at this point.

McGregor (22-6 MMA, 10-4 UFC), a former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion who hasn’t competed since he broke his leg against Dustin Poirier in their July 2021 trilogy fight, has fallen out of the UFC rankings after a run of more than eight years.

He held the No. 14 spot at 155 pounds, but the latest UFC rankings update does not have McGregor anywhere to be found.

It’s the first time McGregor doesn’t have a place in the rankings since after his second promotional appearance in August 2013, when he beat Max Holloway at UFC Fight Night 26. After that win, McGregor broke into the rankings at No. 12 in the featherweight division ahead of his first UFC headliner against Diego Brandao in July 2014.

1 Like

Huh? With his drawing power and a win over the #1 contender would likely get him another title shot.

He probably gets Leon without all that, tho.

Michael Bisping‘s opinion means very little to me after he said he still thinks Darren till can be a champion

4 Likes

Judas wants a big name and easy fight. Burns ain’t it.

I also think UFC doesn’t want it and possibly only offered it to Burns, not Judas. So he could be telling the truth about not being offered