Business Owner question!

Anyone own a gas station or know someone that owns a gas station? Have a couple business questions that I have been all over the place trying to find answers too.

Yeah I'm a partial owner of an oil company n we have a gas station what do u wanna know? Phone Post 3.0

Thank you so much for responding. What do gas stations profit on gas? So what is the profit margin to the gas station owner's?

Fighttrader - Thank you so much for responding. What do gas stations profit on gas? So what is the profit margin to the gas station owner's?
That's a difficult question n not exactly cut n dry there are a lot of factors. Also I can only speak for independent stations no experience with a station like say Casey's.

Price at the terminal can be up to a dollar less than price at the pump. But u have freight, tax, etc to add on not to mention paying help n keeping the lights on. Freight costs n terminal costs can vary wildly.

Many convenience store type stations usually only break even on gas or make very little. They make money on pop, food, cigs etc.

Ill be at a PC after while or in the morning n ill type u more detail. Is this for a class or what? I'd be glad to pm u my # to help as well. Phone Post 3.0

I'm reading it's only around 1% or a tiny bit more then that. I have a business idea so just trying to figure out what the average is.

No it's more for a business idea. Please do PM me your number as I would love to talk to you more about this. My email is kyle@teamhayabusa.net if that is easier.

1% is low.

We can make a little under $.10/gal n break even. Ideally we like to be at $.15-17/gal. Some days due to market factors we make $.30 but then others its $.06

I'd be more than happy to give u my # n u can bounce ideas off me. Hell depending on what it is if I think it's worthwhile I might be interested in helping u in development or possibly investing. Phone Post 3.0

Fighttrader - No it's more for a business idea. Please do PM me your number as I would love to talk to you more about this. My email is kyle@teamhayabusa.net if that is easier.
Ok I'll email u my number tonight or in the morning. Phone Post 3.0

awilson82 - 1% is low.

We can make a little under $.10/gal n break even. Ideally we like to be at $.15-17/gal. Some days due to market factors we make $.30 but then others its $.06

I'd be more than happy to give u my # n u can bounce ideas off me. Hell depending on what it is if I think it's worthwhile I might be interested in helping u in development or possibly investing. Phone Post 3.0

I think it's a good idea but just trying to figure certain stuff out. Yeah I have done tons of research on this idea and nothing out there like it. So just early stages of doing research on it.

Yeah we don't sell food or anything but gas oil ice etc. we do pump the gas for the customer tho. So we HAVE to make $ on gas or were fucked. Phone Post 3.0

Lux Fixxins - I can tell you you will make more on services and convenience product.

It's why they sell food and such.

Wife's family owns a gas station. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah this is a bummer on my idea but still not a deal killer.

awilson82 - Yeah we don't sell food or anything but gas oil ice etc. we do pump the gas for the customer tho. So we HAVE to make $ on gas or were fucked. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah my idea is only gas related so that gas profit margin is a key factor. I'm a young tech savy guy with a computer-science and mathematics degree so it's something no one is doing just trying to see if there is money to be made in this idea or not.

Fighttrader -
awilson82 - Yeah we don't sell food or anything but gas oil ice etc. we do pump the gas for the customer tho. So we HAVE to make $ on gas or were fucked. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah my idea is only gas related so that gas profit margin is a key factor. I'm a young tech savy guy with a computer-science and mathematics degree so it's something no one is doing just trying to see if there is money to be made in this idea or not.
Ok well I'll get u my # n we can talk. Hell I'm a young guy with a marketing degree working in the petroleum industry so I can probably help u out. Phone Post 3.0

awilson82 - 
Fighttrader -

Ok well I'll get u my # n we can talk. Hell I'm a young guy with a marketing degree working in the petroleum industry so I can probably help u out. Phone Post 3.0

I can use all the help I can get. I just manage fighter's and run sponsorship for Hayabusa so this is way out of my element but an idea is an idea so have to pursue it.

Portable gas station / home delivery won't work. Phone Post 3.0

billid - Portable gas station / home delivery won't work. Phone Post 3.0

That is not exactly the idea but why is that??

I know 2 people that own gas stations. I remember stopping in to see one of the guys as his tanks were being replaced and he had no gas for sale. I asked why are you open and he said because he sold cigs, that's what made him money.

I had another who told me that he made 2 cents/gallon regardless of the price.

I worked for Valero, and they made money refining and wholesale, retail made money selling bottled water.

Fighttrader u have an email. Phone Post 3.0

cruedi - I know 2 people that own gas stations. I remember stopping in to see one of the guys as his tanks were being replaced and he had no gas for sale. I asked why are you open and he said because he sold cigs, that's what made him money.

I had another who told me that he made 2 cents/gallon regardless of the price.

I worked for Valero, and they made money refining and wholesale, retail made money selling bottled water.

Kind of odd that gas stations don't make more on gas. I never knew until doing this research. Before looking into this I honestly thought they made well I would expect at least 10% return on the gas. So this is all a surprise to me.

awilson82 -
Fighttrader -

Where abouts are you located? Phone Post