Buying Body Armor

I have a pistol and CCW permit. I also have a 12g pump shotgun. I am set for the basics, although I am considering a semi-auto rifle.

One hole in my plan is the lack of defense. Having a concealed pistol is great, but if someone else has one, too, I could be in for a really bad day. That's where body armor comes in.

I would like to hear from those of you who have bought a vest.

I know that it is technically legal to buy a vest over the internet. However, will this put me on a government watch list? There was a dealer at my last gun show who was actually selling some vests. I thought about buying one with cash. However, they were PACA vests, and I read some bad reviews about them. Is it worth buying a PACA vest if I can do so with cash?

Also, most sites say that they will sell to civilians who have "a legal reason" to buy one. WTF does that mean??? Do you have to prove that you work for an armored car company or that you're a body guard or something???

Recommendations? I am currently looking into Safariland vests. They seem to have a good reputation for quality and concealability.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/
sells to civilians and I hear good things about their vests. They sell new manufacture and police surplus, also have a nice selection of hard plates for rifle rounds (which you probably don't need unless you're going to war though).

If you buy a vest online, will that cause you "problems" down the road? I mean... if the SHTF and government needs to "restore order", will this make me more likely to get a knock at my door (and search warrant) in the middle of the night?

My preference is to buy with cash in person, but maybe I'm being too cautious. What do you think?

SirPrize - If you buy a vest online, will that cause you "problems" down the road? I mean... if the SHTF and government needs to "restore order", will this make me more likely to get a knock at my door (and search warrant) in the middle of the night?

My preference is to buy with cash in person, but maybe I'm being too cautious. What do you think?

i prefer cash as well..gun shows are the best.

SirPrize - I mean... if the SHTF and government needs to "restore order", will this make me more likely to get a knock at my door (and search warrant) in the middle of the night?

If the SHTF then do you really think the government will be looking for people with body armour?

I'd imagine they would be more worried about restoring the collapsed economy, restoring public order, dealing with the secessionist and terrorist groups trying to seize power, etc.

HULC - 
SirPrize - I mean... if the SHTF and government needs to "restore order", will this make me more likely to get a knock at my door (and search warrant) in the middle of the night?

If the SHTF then do you really think the government will be looking for people with body armour?

I'd imagine they would be more worried about restoring the collapsed economy, restoring public order, dealing with the secessionist and terrorist groups trying to seize power, etc.

They had a confiscate on sight issue for all guns and the like down here during Katrina, legal or otherwise. So yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go door to door looking for what they know could be a threat.