Buying first hunting rifle - TME

Deer for sure, almost certainly elk down the road. What is a good round for both? I was thinking 30-06? I don't want to get super complicated on caliber selection. I want something capable.

Next, remington 700 a good rifle? I honestly am planning on going to cabelas or some gun stores on black friday and seeing if I come across any decent rifles in the proper caliber and getting it. I don't want to break the bank.

Also, I own a bunch of guns but no rifles except my 10-22. So, tme. Phone Post 3.0

Rem 700 is a nice rifle. .270 would be a good caliber but I am not as familiar with good rounds for Elk so others might have a better overall caliber choice.

Savage Axis and Ruger American get recommended all the time for beginner rifles.

Anything .270 and up would reliably work for Elk.

I have a savage axis 308 and think its pretty great.

Why is this 700 so much cheaper than the rest? What am I looking for as far as far as what will up the price of the rifle? I guess my big question is why is the 700 better than the 770? Can I not take an animal with the 770? I am pretty sure whichever gun I get it will be more accurate than me. 

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/41976/Remington+770+SPT+BOLT+3006+WSCOPE

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/97363/Remington+700+SPS+30-06

I've read many complaints about current Remington 700s. I don't frequent hunting discussion boards or bolt action rifle discussions, but there seems to be enough discontent with Remington's current quality that it trickles into online discussion about other types of firearms. And it seems to be Remington lack of quality affecting once great lines like their 870 shotguns, the 700 rifles, and the Marlin brand of guns which Remington bought and took over. I personally have encountered new Rem 870 problems when I tried handling them off the rack at the big sports stores. Old timers at shotgun forums now say that even the Chinese clone of the 870 is better than the 870 Express (the clone being the H&R brand).

So maybe research a bit on current crop of Remingtons before deciding on one.

I agree with most comments above but would go for a .30 caliber because it would probably put the game down faster. Phone Post

So no real complaints about 30-06? Then it is settled. It seems like a good round so as long as it will work for both deer and elk I am all for it. 

This might sound odd but I don't want Ruger. The reason is that I already own an LCP, an SR22, and a 10/22. They are all fantastic firearms. So why don't I want another one? I want to mix it up a bit. There are other great manufacturers out there. If I did go Ruger (again) which I am sure would be a great move is this what I want?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_59_110/products_id/79534/Ruger+American+30-06+BLKSYN

Then again, this looks like a pretty decent starter rifle.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/60958/Savage+110BA+LE+338+LAPUA+DBM

Am I going to do bad just buying some random rifle chambered in 30-06? I mean, a reputable brand like Remington, Ruger, Savage etc. 

30-06 is a very dynamic round. you can get loads from 110gr to 200gr+

I personally have a .308 for my hunting rifle (ruger gunsite scout)

I have owned 2 Rem 700's and am not really a fan.

just shot a winchester model 70 in 30-06 last week and it was fabulous.

770 is a total piece of shit and not even worth typing about.

MichaelVronsky - 30-06 is a very dynamic round. you can get loads from 110gr to 200gr+

I personally have a .308 for my hunting rifle (ruger gunsite scout)

I have owned 2 Rem 700's and am not really a fan.

just shot a winchester model 70 in 30-06 last week and it was fabulous.

770 is a total piece of shit and not even worth typing about.

Well now we are almost back at square one because I was planning on the 770 in 30-06. 

So the 770 is out. 30-06 is in. What rifle do I get?

What's this have to do with Ferguson?

yeah, def save your money.

solid beginner rifles are Ruger American and Savage Axis. Consistently listed as the 2 best out-of-the-box rifles you can buy in that price range.

"Firearms must be purchased Aug. 1, 2014 through Nov. 30, 2014"

You can get a $50 rebate if you buy the Savage Axis. Check out the reviews, and I think it won some outdoor award recently for being the best budget rifle.

FNAR .308 is my go to Mule Deer and Elk gun.

MichaelVronsky - yeah, def save your money.

solid beginner rifles are Ruger American and Savage Axis. Consistently listed as the 2 best out-of-the-box rifles you can buy in that price range.

+1

Take advantage of rebates and/or package deals which will include a scope with the rifle.

50 bmg or bust Phone Post 3.0

There are a lot of right answers and Remington 700 .30-06 should be near the top of the list for right answers.

In my opinion someone just starting off should really get a good feel for their rifle. This is why I suggest the 770 in a .243. Use the factory scope and all. The unreliable aim will allow you to fine tune your new craft of rifle shooting. A .243. is big enough to drop an elk with a well placed shot. The best riflemen I know learned on beat up handmedowns. Become one with your weapons.