C-wheel Grd Pass in Old Judo Book

Before I say which Judo book I saw the cartwheel guard pass in, I want to let everyone know that I am aware of the intense Judo vs. BJJ rivalry that exists here. However, I am a student of both arts, so this post is not meant to favor either art, but simply as a historical reference.

The title of the book is "The Techniques of Judo" by Shinzo Takagaki & Harold E. Sharp. Copyright in Japan, 1957 by Charles E. Tuttle Company, Inc.

The cartwheel guard pass is on pages 98-99 at the top in numbered sequence from 21-24.

Other techniques which I was surprised to find were: 3 escapes from the arm triangle (pg. 110-111), knee on belly position (called uki-gatame: floating hold, pg. 122), and the guillotine choke from the guard w/out the arm in (pg. 126), as well as some other familiar guard passes, chokes and armlocks.

I just thought I would pass on this information for those of you who are collectors of old martial arts books, and others who are Judo and/or BJJ historians.

Showed that pass in that book to my BJJ instructor back in 1999. We both thought it was cool as hell.

Vital Judo by Okano is an AWESOME reference book. I got to borrow a copy from a friend, and was AMAZED at some of the techniques I saw in there.

I've got a copy of "Dynamic Judo - Grappling (green book)" 1967 by Kazuzo Kudo that shows the butterfly guard, star pass, omoplata etc..

Nothing new under the sun boys..

Bull in Chinashop:

I agree that most techs have probably already been invented and most likely forgotten, only to be "rediscovered" by someone later on. Although, I think that the new details and setups to these techs are what makes the difference.

Actually, I'd like to see some old footage of the Kosen Judo tapes that are out there, so if someone has access to these, please put up a video clip.

Hey bull_in_chinashop,

I'm waiting on a copy of the Kazuzo Kudo book to come from a rare bookseller in Canada. And waiting, and waiting, etc.

It sounds good, does it contain any game theory, (e.g. "circle towards the head" in scarf, etc.) or it just examples?

yes it shows combinations and setups!

also one of the coolest things is that in some situations parts of it were filmed on a Lexan floor (transparent) and they take photos from underneath so you can see some details that are always very hard to show in many books.)

The book (and the red one with the throwing techniques) are some of my favorite old judo books. Vital judo is also very good!

BIC, from what you are describing it seems like "new" techniques are not the only lesson that can be learned.

People these days could also learn a thing or two about producing quality instructional texts :)

Here is something that maybe interesting to some of you. I was looking at some of picture of old school Bjj fighters in a dojo ion Fernando Pinduka's websight.

In the background on the wall of the dojo you can see pictures taken from Kazuzo Kudo's book (I have the book so I knew right way the pictures were from the book).

I'd love to see that pic!

Pic please!

If I knew how to post pics I would be since I don't I can't.

I'll try to find the URL and post that.

It´s all good. I am writing from Brazil now. There are many of these techniques that you can find in old judo books, BUT you can find many of them in old Western wrestling books as well!

Originality is a myth! BUT most of us were introduced to most of these techniques--particularly the systamatically-taught versions--through BJJ. And whether or not these techniques exist in the realm of possibility in judo and wrestling books, they are actually taught and applied in BJJ classes/competitions, and that is the true difference.

John Frankl

Here is the url to the pic that shows pictures/pages taken from Kazuzo Kudo's Judo book "Dynamic Judo: Grappling Techniques" on the wall of a Bjj dojo in Brazil.

www.fernandopinduka.com/tunel7_.html#1

It is the photo on the top left hand corner.

Yep I also know those pages!

ttt

Have you guys ever seen the half guard in any judo books? It would be cool to see their take on it.

In the Grappling Techniques section of "Best Judo", they cover six "half guard passes", but it's called "extricating your leg" and is presented like your leg just got entangled in theirs while pinning, not that the bottom guy is really attacking from half guard.

there is no half guard in judo

Fighting Judo and Attacking Judo by Kashiwazaki are also good. Figting Judo took me forever to find.