CA Representative wants to end burner phones

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4886/text

The bill would require anyone who buys a pre-paid phone or SIM card to provide their name, address, and date of birth. Retailers would then have to verify the ID credentials and maintain a record of the sale (including date, phone model, phone number, IMEI). 

There are so many fucked laws trying to be pushed through right now in CA. It's disgusting

Fuck that. You should be able to have the freedom of animonity if you choose so. Phone Post 3.0

Not surprising it's a democrat. Phone Post 3.0

They are also trying to ban any cell phones from being sold that don't cant have their encryption broken by LE.

Nobody would ever straw purchase that shit.

Or steal them.

TryhardNobody -

burn phones are awesome. i have found out soooo much shit about ppl with them

Go on... Phone Post 3.0

Not really that big of a deal. Prior to cell phones you couldn't have an anonymous phone anyway.

It's really only for criminal activity.

Good criminals will get around it with fake ids and getting randoms to buy/sign contracts for them but it will definitely catch a lot of not as smart drug dealers and other criminals.

. Phone Post 3.0

The rep is just now watching The Wire???

Jamien604 - Not really that big of a deal. Prior to cell phones you couldn't have an anonymous phone anyway.

Good criminals will get around it with fake ids and getting randoms to buy/sign contracts for them but it will definitely catch a lot of not as smart drug dealers and other criminals.

before cell phones there were pay phones on every corner criminals used.

cruedi -
Jamien604 - Not really that big of a deal. Prior to cell phones you couldn't have an anonymous phone anyway.

Yep they wore beepers and would call back numbers of customers who paged them from payphones. Phone Post 3.0

Gfropr - Fuck that. You should be able to have the freedom of animonity if you choose so. Phone Post 3.0

My thoughts exactly. Its just another way for the government to know everything about everyone.

Has anyone used this app?

http://www.burnerapp.com/

Gfropr - 
cruedi -

Yep they wore beepers and would call back numbers of customers who paged them from payphones. Phone Post 3.0

True, but they could dump the phones and possibly fingerprint them to match and give PC for warrants or watching someone.

I'm not saying I support the bill, but we all know there is no legit reason outside of cheating or illegal activity to have a burner.

bakobell - Not surprising it's a democrat. Phone Post 3.0

This.

They support a fucking police state.

Who cares. Not all that long ago everybody had their name, address and phone number in this big book that got handed out to everybody. Phone Post 3.0

Thage - 
Gfropr - 
cruedi -

True, but they could dump the phones and possibly fingerprint them to match and give PC for warrants or watching someone.

I'm not saying I support the bill, but we all know there is no legit reason outside of cheating or illegal activity to have a burner.

"I'm not saying I support the bill, but we all know there is no legit reason outside of cheating or illegal activity to have a burner."

Not sure if serious.

How about my legit reason is I don't fucking want anyone listening to my goddam conversation or pinpointing my fucking location????

How the fuck is that not "legit"?