Cain Pleads Not Guilty ( Flashes UG Sign )

5 Likes

5 Likes

Cain Velasquez has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and other gun-related charges.

A former UFC heavyweight champion, Velasquez entered his plea Friday at the Santa Clara (Calif.) County Hall of Justice in San Jose, Calif. Judge Jessica Delgado presided over the plea hearing. Velasquez now is set for a pre-trial hearing Sept. 26. An appeal of his denial of bail remains pending in appellate court.

Velasquez was arrested Feb. 28 after he allegedly pursued and fired a gun at a car containing three people, including Harry Goularte, a man accused of molestation of Velasquez’s 4-year-old son. Goularte, who was out on bail after an arrest for “lewd acts with a minor under the age of 14,” was not shot. However, Goularte’s stepfather, Paul Bender, was struck in the shoulder with a bullet allegedly fired by Velasquez.

An Aug. 29 motion hearing was also set for Velasquez. That hearing will be held in-camera (in private chambers). His attorneys and representatives from the Santa Clara County district attorney’s office continue to spar over the relevance of documents pertaining to Goularte’s arrest, including interviews with the minor pertaining to the Goularte’s alleged sexual abuse.

Friday, DA attorney Aaron French argued only a portion of the Goularte investigation should be included in the Velasquez case discovery because it’s an ongoing investigation and one that involves the integrity and privacy of minors.

Additionally, Velasquez defense attorneys Alexandra Kazarian and Renee Hessling and French butted heads over the DA’s plan to not call Goularte to testify as a witness.

“Harry Goularte was fundamental and critical to what he observed and how that investigation against Mr. Cain Velasquez happened,” Hessling said. “To say that he should just be completely excised from this equation and pretend that he does not exist and just completely dismiss his presence or what type of role he has in that, I think is a fiction. I don’t think that that is practical. I think it’s fundamentally unfair to Mr. Velasquez.”

Both of those matters will be discussed at the Aug. 29 in-camera hearing.
Velasquez, 40, faces charges of attempted murder (one count), shooting at a motor vehicle or aircraft (one count), assault with a firearm (three counts), assault with a deadly weapon (three counts), willfully discharging a firearm from a vehicle (one count) and carrying a loaded firearm with intent to commit a felony (one count).

If found guilty of attempted murder, Velasquez faces a minimum of 20 years and up to life in prison, according to the California penal code. He faces additional time if found guilty of other counts.

On three occasions since his arrest, Velasquez has gone before a judge to ask for bail. All three times, he was denied. Judge Shelyna Brown, who presided over the bail hearings, cited his alleged “reckless” actions and public safety concerns as her reasons for the denials.

In June, Goularte entered a not guilty plea for his felony charge. He is due back in court Sept. 20. A separate civil lawsuit filed by the Velasquez family against the Goulartes, Bender and their businesses is set to have a court hearing Sept. 6.

That is fucking AWESOME. (I see dual :love_you_gesture: “I love you” but still awesome to see an update”)

3 Likes
1 Like

Cain Velasquez submitted a not guilty plea Friday on attempted murder and others charges in relation to his alleged high-speed shooting incident on Feb. 28.

The former UFC heavyweight champion appeared in Santa Clara County court to submit the no guilty plea. A pre-trial hearing is now set for Sept. 26. Velasquez faces 10 total charges ranging from attempted murder, assault with a firearm, assault with a deadly weapon, carrying a loaded firearm with intent to commit a felony, and more. If convicted of all charges, Velasquez could potentially face a maximum sentence of 20 years to life in prison.

Velasquez, 39, is accused of engaging in an 11-mile high-speed chase with Harry Goularte, the man accused of molesting his close family relative — a four-year-old child who has since been identified as Velasquez’s son. During the chase, Velasquez allegedly fired a .40-caliber handgun into a car carrying Goularte, Goularte’s mother, and Goularte’s stepfather Paul Bender, the latter of whom was allegedly struck twice by the gunfire, resulting in non-life threatening injuries. Santa Clara police accuse Goularte Jr. of “inappropriately” touching the four-year-old child on “multiple occasions” stemming from an initial Feb. 23 call.
Goularte has since pled not guilty to the charges against him and has been released on bail, with his court date set for Sept. 20. Velasquez has been denied bail numerous times.

“This was such a reckless disregard for human life,” Judge Shelyna Brown said in May. “In this case it is not just Mr. Goularte and his family. It is every single citizen who was in danger of being shot or rammed with the vehicle at the time of this seven mile chase.

“This court is thinking of not only of Mr. Goularte and his family, but this court is considering every single citizen in Santa Clara county who was in proximity to this alleged incident.”

The MMA community has rallied to Velasquez’s side throughout the ordeal.

UFC president Dana White, former UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, and top featherweight contender Yair Rodriguez have been among many who penned letters of support in an effort help Velasquez see the light of the day.

1 Like

The pedo was released on bail? I got flyer miles to burn and deployment Brothers down that way :smiley:

6 Likes

Is any of the pedo stuff going to be admissible in court?

5 Likes

Nothing heroic about doing a drive by and hitting random people in a car. Retard central. Why didn’t he just kill the pedo?

4 Likes

This doesnt seem the wisest choice. Is he saying he didnt shoot the guy? Imo he should make the temporary insanity defense.

2 Likes

That’s not the UG sign.

Those are horns used by heavy metal rockers.

He needs to close that thumb.

6 Likes

Its clearly the I love you fingers, you weirdos! He’s not doing it for his fans, lol

2 Likes

Idk I’d imagine he poured himself a nice ale, sat, politely crossed his legs and calmly thought this through as anyone finding out such info would. Fucking moron what do you think you’d do had that been your son…100 over 100 times this POS violated this kid. It’s a miracle he didn’t plan it out and murder the pos and who here would of cared. Asides Elias that is. So what is the deal with all the backlash. It’s like people are showing their troll account or don’t have kids of their own or think they’re above anyone who makes rash decisions.

2 Likes

Someone will take care of the pedo at some point

1 Like

What his kid needs right now is a father. He’s objectively made her life worse.

UG sign is different.

2 Likes

Sure but you think he sat and thought about the consequences? I don’t. I think he snapped like most of us would and went looking for the asshole and him being let out on bond may of pushed that don’t look back button.

1 Like

Its clearly a satanist sign