"calibrate my hygrometer"???

just got my humidor, put a dish of distillled water in there - now it says to "calibrate my hygrometer"!!

how the hell do i do that? its the little plastic dial thing - that much i do know but how do you calibrate it?

then is says to "fill the cigar resivoir with the bottle of activator...."

-it never came with any bottle of activator and i don't even know where the cigar resivoir is......

appreciate any help. thanks.

i came across this while researching this:

".......Caution - Don't let your cigars get above 80 degrees. This will cause the tobacco beetle eggs that are found in many good cigars to hatch. They will then eat holes in your cigars. Not good."

beetle eggs??

i'm smoking bettle eggs? its like 101 degrees where i live! wtf??

Easiest thing to do is take it back to the cigar store from which you bought it. Most are correct withing a few points.

Cigar beetles are no joke. Make your cigars into tobacco clarinets

i bought it online.

i have it in a ziplock bag with a small container of moist salt to calibrate it - that's what a website said to do. so far its up to 85% humidity...it says to wait at least 6 hours and it should settle at about 75%. any deviation will be how off the calibration is.
does that sound right?

so i am smoking bettle eggs when i smoke a cigar? if so, that's a bit more than i bargained for when i began my cigar addiction...

any advise of the cigar resivior thing??

i just smoked a punch gran puro. really good cigar, beetle eggs and all.

Hello Cheese,

Re. Beetles

FWIW ~ This is what **I do**, when I get new bundles of cigars I place them in the freezer for 3 days , then I transfer them into the fridge for 24 hours to slowly recover from their time in the freezer, then they go into my Igloo'dor for isolation and aging. Make sure that the isolation is in a cool steady temp. place, I use a closet.

I lo$t a box of cubans (Bolivars) to beetles many years ago, after I learned the freezer trick Ive yet to have any problems with beetles. (knocking on wood! LOL).

Sounds like your handling the Salt calibration test.
Radio shack use to sell a digital Hygrometer/Temp guage for 20 bucks we would calibrate them with the salt test. Anymore I believe that most units are within appropriate ranges

All The Best
Steel

thanks talon,

so to get this straight:

cigars go in the deep freeze for 24 hours. then the fridge for 3 days..

question:

do i need to keep them in a zip lock so they don't come out of the fridge smelling like leftover pizza or whatever i have in the fridge at the time??

question:

after they recovered from the freeze in the fridge, the beetle eggs will be dead?

question:

after this whole process they will be fine to store in my humidor in my 100+ degree apartment?

last question:

any clue about the "cigar resivior and activator thing"?

thanks for all the info.

question:

do i need to keep them in a zip lock so they don't come out of the fridge smelling like leftover pizza or whatever i have in the fridge at the time??

question:

after they recovered from the freeze in the fridge, the beetle eggs will be dead? IT's just a larvae

question:

after this whole process they will be fine to store in my humidor in my 100+ degree apartment? Hmmmm, I don't don't know if you can kill larvae. But the freezing your humidor thing is a good thing to do. I have done it, but as damage control.

last question:

any clue about the "cigar resivior and activator thing"? activator is mainly Propylene Glocol.

Hello Cheese..

Sorry Bro, I meant Freezer for three days fridge for 24 hours. Long day brains fried plus the congac is kicking in....

**If your doing bundles or boxes keep the celophane on. If your doing singles use a zip lock freezer bag.

** Dead for sure, some people will do a double (2nd) freeze after a week.. Anyway the bugs will die, the eggs will crack and die.

** Keeping "a few" in a table humidor in your hot apartment shouldnt be too bad. Me I use the igloodor' I have four, Im addicted to buying and aging cigars LOL!! Anyhow your closet tends to stay cooler than other parts of the house so even here in my little bit of paradise in Sourthern AZ temps get high, and the closet is always a steady cool temp.

When I lost those cubans it was terrible I had them aging for quit awhile B4 I discovered the infestation.
I was only able to salvage three from the box.

To salvage a cigar from beetle holes go get some fruit pectin powder from the grocery store, mix a little bit of the powder dab (ie. paint) the pectin over the hole put a piece of cigar wrapper on top of pectin (paint) you can use the wrapper from your guillotine cut.

**Resivior thing.. (Best guess) it can be refering to your creedo puck, the plastic vented thing with foam in it. Activator (PG) and distilled water goes into it.

When you initially season a new humidor or dry humidor this is what works for me. I put distilled water into a small sparay bottle, litely sprayy down the interior wood with it then set a small bowl of distilled water inside it and close the lid and let it absorb the vapor into the wood for a few/several days. The sraying of the wood speeds up the absorption you can sparay sevral times while its setteling in.. Once your RH levels off and maintains then its time to start adding your cigars. This will usually cause another swing in RH as the gars settle in.

Im just getting turned onto Climmax humidification beads for my igloodors'. A pound runs 30 bucks and will hold a steady 70 or 65 rh depending on what you buy. I'm sending my order out this week.

Hope this helps.

All The Best
Steel

Hello BillyB..

Thanks for the post, but again this is what I do to kill beetle larva, when you open your dor' and bugs fly out its way to late LOL.

Myself, I've been freezing them for several years now and never had one split nor have I noticed a change in taste or had one "freezer burn" after spending 3 days in the freezer. Guess I've been lucky.

I do know that most of the large distributers such as JRCigars freeze all of the product they recieve in, before they put it into thier rooms.

When I've seen cigars split is when they have dried out, and they are re-introduced to a humid environment to rapidly. Placing dry cigars into a humid baggie /tupp. then into a fridge is a recipe for splitting.

All The Best
Steel

great info from all you guys.

so......assuming i get my cigars from jrcigars(where i plan to get them anyway)and that they have been pre-frozen to kill the bugs i'll be smokin', is there any problem storing them in the 100+ degree heat i'm in??

also, i like my cigars on the moist side - any way to regulate my humidor to the 80% range?