Call to arms gun nuts

I am looking to buy my first pistol.
I want to do a 1911 platform but jot sure which manufacturer is the best.
I have only bought guns for hunting so need some guidance.

I think there was a thread about this already but the hell if I can't find it. Phone Post 3.0

Why a 1911???

Personally, if I was getting a 1911 I'd look at a Les Bauer... Be aware tho, they're not cheap, even by 1911 standards.

If you are new to guns get a Taurus or rock island 1911. Amazing guns for the price. You can always upgrade in the future. Phone Post 3.0

1911 is not a great first gun. Unless you spend a lot of money is going to be finicky. Plus you're limited to only 7 rounds, personally I'd look at a taurus millennium pro or a Ruger sr9. Something along those lines. Phone Post 3.0

If you're going to get a 1911, and want one truly capable, be prepared to spend a substantial amount of money. It's not a firearm for novices. It requires knowledge and a dedicated maintenance protocol.

For your first pistol, perhaps try a Glock or Smith & Wesson M&P. They require less care than a 1911, are reliable, and are great weapons for a first-time pistol buyer.

STI EDGE Phone Post 3.0

In before 1,911 pages of Glock/1911 debate.

(I own both) Phone Post 3.0

slo ko - In before 1,911 pages of Glock/1911 debate.

(I own both) Phone Post 3.0

There should be no debate. I have spoken and delivered the truth.

Springfield has been great to me. Not gonna break the bank but, IMO, a good, reliable build. Phone Post 3.0

i love, and daily carry, springfield. however, my next purchase, after firing a rental at the local range, will be a kimber ultra carry 1911.

to each their own.

threads like this is are like asking the guy next to you at the lake what he's fishing with. you never know if you're getting a straight answer. go run a bunch of rounds through some guns you are looking at and figure out which is right for you. no one can tell your hands what works.

Phone Post 3.0

. Phone Post 3.0

I say Springfield is easily the in the top 5 products in the world. The XD is extremely reliable, safe, user friendly and super acurate. The XD 40 is a great beginner platform and advanced enough to mod for high level competition. Anyone that preaches pure Glock is a fanboi, as most models have been myth busted and are proven to fail where they're guaranteed to shine. Phone Post 3.0

amadeus - Why a 1911???

Personally, if I was getting a 1911 I'd look at a Les Bauer... Be aware tho, they're not cheap, even by 1911 standards.
I'm looking at a 1911 because my grandpa had one and its what he taught me on. So mainly sentimental.

You guys are helping I am taking notes. Phone Post 3.0

Go Kimber if you can afford it Phone Post 3.0

Glock reliability is a myth? Come on....yes, Glock "fanboys" can sometimes be on the condescending side towards other makes, but Glocks are nothing if not boringly reliable.

OP, there are several great, reliable makes to choose from. If you are set on a 1911, there are "levels" of 1911s, from one end of the price spectrum to the other. I have never owned one, but for entry level I have heard good stuff about Springfield Armory and Rock Island Arsenal versions (500-900 or so range). Even some of the lower end Turkish 1911s have received good press. There are tons of forums for you to peruse. Have fun with whatever you wind up choosing. Phone Post 3.0

Smith and Wesson get my vote
Uploaded with Imgupr

Rhymenoceros -
slo ko - 
Phone Post 3.0

That thing is fucking awesome.
Thank you, sir. That's the one I mentioned in the Taurus thread.

It's a tack driver. Phone Post 3.0

Rhymenoceros - I like Infinity, if a blue namer would be so kind.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/beltjones1/photo8.jpg
Phone Post 3.0

Rhymenoceros -
GOREgonzola - I say Springfield is easily the in the top 5 products in the world. The XD is extremely reliable, safe, user friendly and super acurate. The XD 40 is a great beginner platform and advanced enough to mod for high level competition. Anyone that preaches pure Glock is a fanboi, as most models have been myth busted and are proven to fail where they're guaranteed to shine. Phone Post 3.0

WAT.

Name one high level competitor who uses an XD40. I shall wait and wait and you will not be able to name one.

Fact: I am not a Glock fanboy, though I did shoot one in competition for years, and while the Glock is still very popular among competitors, the only person who shoots an XD (though not an XD40) is Rob Leatham, but that's because he's employed by Springfield Armory.
VU for appropriate use of facts. Phone Post 3.0