Calorie reduction weight loss question

I'm sure this has been addressed on here already, and for that apologize. I tried searching, but the terms I was using wouldn't yield the answers I was looking for. My question is this.

If you don't change anything in your life other than your diet will you lose weight? Or will you just gain weight at a slower pace/stay where you are at?

EX. Say I'm consuming 3,000 calories per day. I reduce my diet to 2,200 per day. Will I lose weight?

I obviously understand that working out is the way to go and I am. However, my problem is I keep trying to force myself onto a diet that I can't stick with, I end up going back to eating crap food.

Any help that anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Edit: By the way, I have no idea how many calories I am currently consuming, but I'm working on figuring that out as well as trying to come up with healthy meals that I will enjoy and figuring out the amount of calories in those meals.

Go to fitday.com You input your info along with what you're eating, and it will tell you roughly if you're in a caloric deficit or surplus. It will also tell you where you should be if your goal is to lose X amount by a certain date.

There are other sites/programs that do this as well, fitday is the one I like though.

Thanks Ronin. I appreciate your help.

RaginRedneck169 -

If you don't change anything in your life other than your diet will you lose weight? Or will you just gain weight at a slower pace/stay where you are at?

EX. Say I'm consuming 3,000 calories per day. I reduce my diet to 2,200 per day. Will I lose weight?

I obviously understand that working out is the way to go and I am. However, my problem is I keep trying to force myself onto a diet that I can't stick with, I end up going back to eating crap food.

In general terms: Yes. You are creating a 800kcal deficit per day which leads to 5600 in a week which equals about a pound and a half (3500). These numbers are for the sake of calculations, the real world isn't so precise.

While a exercise program is extremely important for weight loss and health, the best results will come from eating correctly. To paraphrase a cliche: you can out exercise a donut, fries, beer or whatever crap you're eating too much of.

Don't worry about "dieting" right now. Just start eating better. All you have to do at this stage is eat less than you presently are. Not talking about something like dropping from 4000 kcals a day to 1500kcals but how about down to 3000. Not too hard to do switching out crap food for good food.

Fitday is a great suggestion. Commit to logging everything you eat for one week, then you'll have a better picture of where your starting from.