Can everyone stop wearing....

Shin guards, please?

This is something that is slowly beginning to annoy me when watching wrestling.

It's like the newest style fad.

Its been a fad for like over 5 years now. Generally a custom kickpad and pair of wrestling shoes costs less then a pair of wrestling boots. Plus the kickpads you can have designed however you want, get covers made in different colors and designs for to go with your alternate trunk/tights. And lets face it, the past (x) years youve seen such an influence of japanese strong style and mma into american pro wrestling, wrestling boots are solid as fuck and the kickpads offer more protection to your shin as well as give your oppenent less of a blow, but adds more sound. And sound is so important, why do you think chops are so widely used. Ever see an actual fight or a pro wrestling match end via chops? Nah but have you ever seen a crowd not react to the sound of a solid chop, probably not either. Phone Post

Actually id say closer to ten years its been a fad now that im thinking about it. Phone Post

Good points.

(still gay, though)

"why do you think chops are so widely used?"

Because closed fists are ILLEGAL!!! Duh Phone Post

^^
Lol, great point as well Phone Post

Technically so are martial arts style kicks and i believe kicks with the toe of the boot. Phone Post

bigwignj - Its been a fad for like over 5 years now. Generally a custom kickpad and pair of wrestling shoes costs less then a pair of wrestling boots. Plus the kickpads you can have designed however you want, get covers made in different colors and designs for to go with your alternate trunk/tights. And lets face it, the past (x) years youve seen such an influence of japanese strong style and mma into american pro wrestling, wrestling boots are solid as fuck and the kickpads offer more protection to your shin as well as give your oppenent less of a blow, but adds more sound. And sound is so important, why do you think chops are so widely used. Ever see an actual fight or a pro wrestling match end via chops? Nah but have you ever seen a crowd not react to the sound of a solid chop, probably not either. Phone Post

this

I thought RVD wore them because it looked like his shins really did smash into the guard rail when he'd "miss" a move. I remember Bret in Wrestling with Shadows saying he got hurt for real when he hit the guard rail

I subscribe to bryan alvarez' newsletter. :) Phone Post

Kickpads have been around forever. My friends would make SERIOUS $$$ in the late 90's making them for various wrestlers on the indys. Cost like $10 in materials and 20 minutes on a sewing machine, but they easily get $60 for a pair.

There always seems to be a fad with whatever "young" talent in WWF/WWE does.

I remember seeing all the guys in Japan wear the kickpads, then 1-2-3 Kid was one of the first WWF guys I saw with them.

Then after the Hardyz hit, the indies were full of JNCO's and wifebeaters.