Can I still improve by cutting back training?

Hello, I'm new here and I'm a newly graded purple belt. Ever since I started jiujitsu I've been training flat out. Through injuries, working massive days and study for the past 6 years. But now it looks like my training is going to have to be cut back dramatically, going from 6 days a week and two to three times a day to looking at 4 days a week only once.

I'm just after some advice as too how to stay competitive on the competition scene and also still improve my tech during training. I'm just about to graduate as a school teacher and also my fiancé has just given birth to our first baby, and obviously I have to put these first before training and competitions.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to keep my level of improvement close to what I am now and how to get the most out of training with the smaller amounts of training?
Thank you. Phone Post 3.0

I have faith in you. Phone Post 3.0

I trained consistently for years up until about my 4th year training bjj. After that, monetary stuff got in the way and I wasn't able to train. I'm now on my 6th year and only get to train once a month if I'm lucky but as long as I stay in shape and always watch bjj and think of the movements I don't regress at all. But, that's just me.

Man, I wish scaled back training for me was 4x a week. But then I don't compete.

Back to your problem... watch video on your down time?

6 days a week, 2-3 times a day for 6 years and you're a purple belt? I can only assume you're a high level competitor.

I love competitions win or lose I just love it. Yea I train a lot and always have even before I started jiujitsu I was training in a gym lifting or swimming, anything basically. So that's one of the things I'm worried about, it's the cut back in the physical conditioning and exercise.

I've travelled a lot and trained in Brasil and America also. But where I'm from and who I train under it generally takes a long time to get graded, I was a white belt for 4 years. Phone Post 3.0

joe_mama - Man, I wish scaled back training for me was 4x a week. But then I don't compete.

Back to your problem... watch video on your down time?

this haha it would be awesome to get 4 days a week in again.

congrats on graduating Evil_salto and congrats on the birth of your child. im sure you will find a balance that works for you. as other have mentioned train when you can and watch, read, and think about jiu jitsu in your down time im sure you will be fine.

Man 4 days would be great! I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 Phone Post 3.0

I've noticed that with myself that when I let my body rebound more I can execute better albeit weight training and cardio are also mixed in there as well as working, and being a dad.
So, cutting down on training is not the end.

I believe that 4 days a week is fine. At 42 years old I am a firm believer that rest is as essential as training, and you can get to a point where you will not learn as quickly or easily if you train too often.

Thanks for all the positive reinforcement guys! In walking into training as a zombie at the moment, not having any sleep but I think working out a solid routine for myself might be the key. Phone Post 3.0

you will continue to do well. you will also continue to improve in jiujitsu. you will have to accept that their will be a change in results though. dont put unrealistic pressure on yourself that you will have the same results as when you were training two- a days 6x a week

Fuck you, you son of a bitch. Phone Post 3.0

Just playin.....for me, cutting back meant going from 2-3x a week to 1-2x a week (have a newborn at home).

I'll get back to 2-3x a week within a week or two as long as baby daughter keeps being so awesome, but I would kill to get to train 4x a week (let alone 5-6 days a week, multiple times a day; that would be so much fun).

You can be awesome on 4x a week, IMO. Phone Post 3.0

Evil_Salto - Thanks for all the positive reinforcement guys! In walking into training as a zombie at the moment, not having any sleep but I think working out a solid routine for myself might be the key. Phone Post 3.0

Be careful with that though, if you're not getting enough sleep and recovering adequately, you're more likely to get injured.

White belt for 4 year training 12-18 times a week?

That's gotta be some kind of record breaking sandbagging.

It wasn't sand bagging is was silly gym politics at that time. It's all passed now and I am now training with the best bunch of guys now. I started at a weird time for that gym.

I can't wait to teach my baby girl some jiujitsu! Phone Post 3.0