Can society function without fear?

Remove all threat if negative consequences for "crime" (fines, jail, being shot). What would society look like? Can humans coexist without an entity moderating their behavior? Phone Post 3.0

It would not go well IMHO. Phone Post 3.0

I think some native American societies did not have any of those things. They seemed ok. I think they used social conditioning to keep each other in check. Like ostracizing fools and shit.

Also the Anasazi ate people. Phone Post

societies have existed in history that, like bill said, used social parameters to prevent or replace undesirable behavior.

but there were like 80 dudes in the whole joint.

Lots of Atheists I know are kind moral people without the threat of hell.

So it may work. Phone Post 3.0

I'm afraid not.

rookie29 - Lots of Atheists I know are kind moral people without the threat of hell.

So it may work. Phone Post 3.0

In this case, "moral" behavior is likely enforced in other ways that still involve fear.

For example, negative enforcement methods such as social shaming, the threat of not fitting in and being ostracized, jail time or fines, etc., can work.

Similarly, positive enforcement such as it makes them feel good to follow the rules, it furthers their respective agendas, e.g., boosts their social standing to be seen as a good or upstanding citizen, which allows them to get what they want.

In either case, fear still works and is often necessary for people to conform, either the fear of some form of punishment (negative enforcement) or the fear of not getting what they want (positive enforcement). If anything, these are stronger more concrete fears, than something as distant (and perhaps abstract) as going to Hell in the future.

For some types of people it would work.

That is the best thing about Christianity.
It is what keeps you from doing wrong when no one is looking and can totally get away with it. It is the best example of self government. Also, what a society it would be if we all lived by the golden rule.

IDXtreme - That is the best thing about Christianity.
It is what keeps you from doing wrong when no one is looking and can totally get away with it. It is the best example of self government. Also, what a society it would be if we all lived by the golden rule.

Unfortunately, I don't think that "no one is looking", since God is supposed to be looking all the time (along with being all-knowing, etc.). He, after all, will judge you at the end, and determine whether you are worthy or wanting.

It's like having your own office at work. "Self-government" would be working all the time and not wasting company time, instead of OGing and jerking off. I think Christianity has us in our own office at work, but with a camera recording everything that we are doing. We know someone is watching, so we're more or less on our best behavior; it's just that we just won't know when the boss will come in and ask us what we've done lately.

How is the group regulating behavior not the group regulating behavior?

419 - How is the group regulating behavior not the group regulating behavior?

I don't think you could ever eliminate that. Even animals do it to some degree. Unless we were all hermits or something. Phone Post