Can somebody explain IBJJF "round robin" to me?

Please forgive my ignorance, but they did a round robin today with my professor and I didn't really totally "get it". Scenario:

Travis, Alex & Josh are 3 in a bracket.
Travis fought Alex and won.
Then Alex fought Josh and won.
Then Travis and Alex fought again and won for 1st.

What would have happened if Professor Travis lost? 2nd place?

#whitebelt Phone Post 3.0

I believe that is correct.

Although in that scenario you could argue that a third match is necessary to determine a true winner, I believe it goes like this:

1) A vs B
2) loser of 1 grapples C
3) winner of 1 grapples winner of 2

Winner of 3=gold
Loser of 3= silver
Other guy= bronze Phone Post 3.0

Ha! Okay, I guess I was just over thinking it. LOL Phone Post 3.0

Oh wait, there was a third round. Professor had to fight Alex again. He won and got 1st. Phone Post 3.0

SC MMA MD - I believe that is correct.

Although in that scenario you could argue that a third match is necessary to determine a true winner, I believe it goes like this:

1) A vs B
2) loser of 1 grapples C

Winner of 3=gold
Loser of 3= silver
This is how the ibjjf runs a 3 person category afaik Phone Post 3.0

I dont know the specifics of what the ibjjf is doing but essentially round robin format means everyone in a group competes against each other and the beat record wins. This is the opposite of a single elimination tournament. The situation you mentioned occurs because there's only 3 guys in the bracket. Phone Post 3.0

I follow. I was way over thinking it. Phone Post 3.0

But just for clarification, if Josh beat Alex then Josh would have fought Travis for 1st, right? Phone Post 3.0

SC MMA MD - I believe that is correct.

1) A vs B
2) loser of 1 grapples C

Winner of 3=gold
Loser of 3= silver

That was not how it worked at the IBJJF Europeans a couple of years ago.

We were three in my class and the way they explained it to me was that you never have to beat the same opponent twice.

1) and 2) are correct.

If the looser in match 1 (B) wins against (C) then (B) gets silver and (C) gets bronze.

But if (C) beats (B) then (B) gets the bronze and (C) goes on to fight (A) in a final match.

You should never have to face someone you beat, I have seen round robins get messed up and this happen.

It just works differently to round-robin in other sports, the confusion comes from the name more than anything.

Most round-robin formats would have each competitor face each other once and results are determined by # wins, then # pins/subs, then # technical points and then into weird stuff like who weighed in less.

I prefer that kind of round-robin, that's how it works with FILA/UWW. Round-robin for up to 5 in a division, so win or lose you get 4 matches.

They also use nordic format for 6 in a division, which is two pools of 3 that compete round-robin. Pool winner compete for 1/2 and pool runners-up compete for 3/4.

It's weird mostly because the person with the bye has to win to advance into the finals. If they lose their first match they're out. Meanwhile if you don't get the bye and are in the first match you can lose, win then advance into the finals.

Just watched this match, good stuff from TT. Phone Post 3.0

billydeewilliams - Just watched this match, good stuff from TT. Phone Post 3.0

Awesome!! It was really cool to watch. Alex had beat him at the Pans before and he is SOOOO tough.

The way I understand a RR is that in this scenario you have Travis. Alex and Josh.<br />First match is Travis and Alex, Travis wins. Alex drops down as first loser.<br />Travis then grapples Josh, If Travis wins he takes first place (he beat both competitors) and Josh and Alex grapple for 2nd and 3rd place. If Josh wins he is first place and Travis 2nd and Alex is 3rd. Josh got the bye so he wouldnt go against Alex if Josh beat Travis.

Sadly I experieced an IBJJF round robin first hand. I (A) beat grappler B. B went on to beat C. I had to go against B again and lost by a sweep. I got second place....that sucked.

Frances -

Sadly I experieced an IBJJF round robin first hand. I (A) beat grappler B. B went on to beat C. I had to go against B again and lost by a sweep. I got second place....that sucked.

That's exactly what I was wondering!!! Phone Post 3.0

ilovetortillas - 
Frances -

That's exactly what I was wondering!!! Phone Post 3.0

You should have gone against C since he had a bye. Then if you won you would have taken first and they could battle for 2nd and 3rd. If you lost you would have been 2nd place since you already beat B.

lol, one tourney I was in a 3 man bracket, won my first match, lost my second.  got 3rd.  explain that one to me

Ibjjf rules are easy. The third match is the final.
Round robin where all fight all can be a pain in the ass. If everyone wins a match then decided on time of sub or amount of points and always leaves a feeling that it wasn't properly decided. Phone Post 3.0