Can Someone Explain Why 3 Billboards Was Good?

So I was looking forward to this film. I think Frances McDormand is a good actress and Woody Harrelson maybe isn't great, but makes one want to like him. I had read in reviews that the film was kind of dark, which I assumed was simply because the plot revolves around a rape and murder of a kid.

But when I watched it, to me, every single person in the movie other than Peter Dinklage and maybe McDormand's son was a mean asshole devoid of love or likeability. There was also a lot of very meh stereotyping along SJW lines, but even putting that aside, why are we supposed to like or pull for any of the characters in this? McDormand's husband is an abusive asshole, McDormand and her daughter are verbally abusive to each other to the point where McDormand says she hopes she gets raped, McDormand assaults high school kids, blows up a police station, and is a massive asshole to the dwarf who is nothing but nice and helpful to her, the redneck deputy is a completely negative redneck and small town stereotype until he gets a magical note from Woody Harrelson that changes his entire being in one minute, there is a random guy who talks hateful, vulgar shit to McDormand about her daughter and implies he was involved. Woody Harrelson is sort of a good guy who happens to take a lot of pleasure in swearing in front of his kids and is a redneck who knows enough poetry to educate his hot British wife who he must have met...somewhere?

So, I get that the writers mean for the "big lesson" of the movie to be the words of wisdom from the mouth of the innocent young girlfriend of the abusive asshole ex husband, "Anger begets anger," but is this really the entire point of the movie? Are we supposed to hate all these angry assholes who are mean to each other and lack accountability or realism, or are we supposed to find something in them to love? Are women supposed to love McDormand because she is so angry she assaults whoever pisses her off?

I'm kind of confused about this movie. Not sure if I missed something, but the premise seemed good to start with, but the characters didn't seem real or easy to pull for.

Thoughts?

I haven't seen it yet, but maybe this weekend.

I just watched I Tonya and it was fantastic.

I enjoyed it. I thought the story was good.

I saw McDormands character as so lost in her life and full of grief that her behavior was somewhat understandable. She wanted results and took matters into her own hands.

I have heard I Tonya was really good, was surprised and am looking forward to seeing it.

Thrill Hammer - 

I saw McDormands character as so lost in her life and full of grief that her behavior was somewhat understandable. She wanted results and took matters into her own hands.

I can sort of understand that take, but it's 7 months later, and she isn't just acting out emotionally, she is assaulting a lot of people who had nothing to do with it and blowing up buildings, and even being an asshole to people who are clearly trying to help her, and her interaction with her ex husband and the flashback to her daughter indicate she was pretty hostile before the murder. ANd not just her, almost EVERYONE is kind of an asshole. Of course, not the black cop who magically shows up to the police station unannounced to clean house, he is a clear good guy, lol.

sadic1 - I have heard I Tonya was really good, was surprised and am looking forward to seeing it.

I didn't want to see it, but Mrs Ned did, and it was her turn to pick.

It was really really good.

Met the hype.

Icarus is next, then probably 3 billboards. I know Mrs Ned wants to see 3 billboards so I won't choose it.

You didn't like OGer Sam Rockwell?

sadic1 -
Thrill Hammer - 

I can sort of understand that take, but it's 7 months later, and she isn't just acting out emotionally, she is assaulting a lot of people who had nothing to do with it and blowing up buildings, and even being an asshole to people who are clearly trying to help her, and her interaction with her ex husband and the flashback to her daughter indicate she was pretty hostile before the murder. ANd not just her, almost EVERYONE is kind of an asshole. Of course, not the black cop who magically shows up to the police station unannounced to clean house, he is a clear good guy, lol.

I see your point. I think the flashbacks and stuff were just supposed to kind of show how life went. She seems so shitty, because she was in a shitty situation. Her Ex was clearly a dick, and she kind of fell in to the cycle of shittiness. She had a lot of aggression towards he ex, that when her daughter and her got into an argument, she released some hatred that was supposed to be for the ex. She didn't know how to manage her anger so it just came out in busts and she would say and do some horriffic stuff.

You must have hated Falling Down, too.

& Fight Club.

& at least half of everything Clint Eastwood ever did.

^ Completely different movies.

I did not like it either. It was very meh.

It is funny, I thought it was better than expected for sort of the opposite reason...If anything, I thought it sort of didn't fall in to the SJW norms...I liked the fact that they didn't just build the "hero woman vs. the backwards small town racist cops" story.  I sorta liked being surprised that the protagonist was kind of a bitch and Woody (who I thought was going to be the bad guy) was cool and even Sam R. had a redemption arc. 

I'm not a big movie guy, so my opinion doesn't mean much (I watch action and comedy movies almost exclusively...I watched 3 billboards on a plane)